Cowboys Cuts and Signings Thread...

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't see the issue with Moore coming back. He did not steal a spot from anyone since Gathers went on the IR. Also, as good as Rush has been, it will be nice for him to have a peer that understands the offense and can help him out. How this is dumb...no idea...but hey, got to say the front office is super dumb and shit.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't like the active roster being used on players who can't play.

Put Moore on the PS if you want him so badly.

As a game day mentor, you have Dak. As a coach... I mean, what's your OC and QB coach for, not to mention your HC who used to be a QB??

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't see the issue with Moore coming back. He did not steal a spot from anyone since Gathers went on the IR. Also, as good as Rush has been, it will be nice for him to have a peer that understands the offense and can help him out. How this is dumb...no idea...but hey, got to say the front office is super dumb and shit.
I think having a veteran mentor for a young QB is a good thing - even for Dak. But especially if Rush actually has to play this year I think we'll be glad to have someone with more than one year's experience to help prepare him. And yeah maybe that should be a QB Coach's job, but I've heard too many young QBs talk about the value of having a veteran mentor to discount it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Gotta keep up the Garrett sucks narrative.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Gotta keep up the Garrett sucks narrative.
Don't really think thats a Garrett issue. Pretty sure everybody knows that Moore is Linehans boy.

Personally Im not going to let it bother me if he is one the team for several reasons. Its not like I'm crying over anybody that we cut. Well maybe if it would have cost Duke Thomas a spot.....

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't like the active roster being used on players who can't play.

Put Moore on the PS if you want him so badly.

As a game day mentor, you have Dak. As a coach... I mean, what's your OC and QB coach for, not to mention your HC who used to be a QB??
People who know football far better than you or I prefer to have veteran QB mentors. And I'm not saying this in the "Garrett knows more than you" sense.... I mean well respected guys like Parcells. Many other coaches subscribe to this.... Super Bowl winners, Hall of Famers.

I'm not even saying there is a right or wrong, but there is a certain amount of deference that you make to coaches who do know what they are doing.

p1_

DCC 4Life
People who know football far better than you or I prefer to have veteran QB mentors. And I'm not saying this in the "Garrett knows more than you" sense.... I mean well respected guys like Parcells. Many other coaches subscribe to this.... Super Bowl winners, Hall of Famers.

I'm not even saying there is a right or wrong, but there is a certain amount of deference that you make to coaches who do know what they are doing.
What is Wade Wilson's job again? And what is his experience?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What is Wade Wilson's job again? And what is his experience?
Apparently his job is cranking out QBs who outperform their draft status, and he's nailing it.

What is any QB coach's job when the head coach or OC prefers to have a veteran backup? This is common. Stop pretending it's a Cowboys thing only. It's not even close.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Dak mentioned how Sanchez helped him out a good bit early on, so I don't see the issue having Moore back either.

midswat

... soon
On the one hand, I detest the idea of bringing Moore back. I think he's a joke of a QB.

On the other hand, when you go with a guy like Rush for your back up - I don't care how good his preseason was - I can see the appeal of having plenty of resources for him to brain pick as needed.

In any event, if we lose Dak, we're not getting the 8-9 wins I predict for us anyways this year so it probably doesn't matter.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If Prescott goes down for a long period of time, Romo will be back.

midswat

... soon
I seriously doubt that. Feels like he felt slighted when he left. I think that bridge is burned.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I agree.

I don't think there's a single team that has a total of 1 year of experience in the QB room.

Moore's experience brings value. People can wave that off all they want but it's true.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree.

I don't think there's a single team that has a total of 1 year of experience in the QB room.

Moore's experience brings value. People can wave that off all they want but it's true.
It's not that it doesn't have value. We just don't see that the value changes by making him a coach as opposed to a player taking up a roster spot.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's not that it doesn't have value. We just don't see that the value changes by making him a coach as opposed to a player taking up a roster spot.
My guess is that it's different when you are standing next to the guy and he's wearing shoulder pads, rather than a headset. Coaches -- and not just this staff -- have a long history of prioritizing backup experience especially when mentoring young guys. Kellen Moore doesn't have tons of starting experience but apparently he mentally knows the system cold, and the staff wants a guy in Rush and Prescott's ear.

Would we be the same level of pissed off if it was Luke McCown instead of Moore? I doubt it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My guess is that it's different when you are standing next to the guy and he's wearing shoulder pads, rather than a headset. Coaches -- and not just this staff -- have a long history of prioritizing backup experience especially when mentoring young guys. Kellen Moore doesn't have tons of starting experience but apparently he mentally knows the system cold, and the staff wants a guy in Rush and Prescott's ear.

Would we be the same level of pissed off if it was Luke McCown instead of Moore? I doubt it.
And I disagree with that. It may be different if the guy who is your coach hasn't played for over a decade like Wade Wilson. But I see no reason why someone like Moore couldn't be hired as an assistant QB coach. Having literally played QB the past few years would give them the same ability to relate to a player as having pads on. Hell if we want to be silly and pretend like pads give a guy some special powers to relate throw some shoulder pads on an assistant QB coach like Moore (Who would be perfect for a coaching position) and save the roster spot. Lets face it, you want Moore here basically as a coach/mentor but want nothing to do with him actually playing football. What kind of sense does it make to have someone like that on your roster but not on the coaching staff?

And yes I know I'm assuming that Moore would be interested in coaching. If not him I'm sure there would be some other veteran QB without a job willing to do it.

And I'm guessing the level of pissed off may even be greater with Luke McCown but I can't speak to anyone else's opinion. All I know was during preseason I had said he had zero shot at the roster. Obviously that proved to be true.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well, you can disagree and that's fine. But it's something that a lot of coaches, not just this coaching staff, give a ton of credence to.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I agree.

Not sure what experience a couple of piss poor outings with a loaded team around him could possibly matter. He's awful and the team would get smothered with 9-man fronts with him behind center.

You would do better with Matt Cassell. At least he actually has experience.

Dak proved talent matters a lot more.

Top Bottom