Cowboys Coaching Staff

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
We’re propping the coaching staff here and I’m going to go out on a limb here and make some presumptions that someone can correct me or provide more details…More important than McCarthy’s analytics, I think McCarthy brought his network, teh tree, of assistants/coaches that’s been coaching up the positions.

Obvious exception of Kellen Moore, is anyone else a holdover from 2019?

Would Dan Quinn have come here if Garrett were still HC?
I believe Nussmeier, Moore, and Lett are the only holdovers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if he would have McCarthy empowers the coaches to do what they do. Garrett would have held them back with his conservative plan and principles. Not all assistant coaches are given the freedom to do what ours are doing.

Moore I'm sure was being held back by Garrett for example.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
We’re propping the coaching staff here and I’m going to go out on a limb here and make some presumptions that someone can correct me or provide more details…More important than McCarthy’s analytics, I think McCarthy brought his network, teh tree, of assistants/coaches that’s been coaching up the positions.

Dan Quinn would have gone anywhere a job opened up.

There might have been a few left overs, i think the TE was changed or the same guy changed to the TE or something. but my memory is fuzzy and i think the RB coach maybe as well.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Even if he would have McCarthy empowers the coaches to do what they do. Garrett would have held them back with his conservative plan and principles. Not all assistant coaches are given the freedom to do what ours are doing.

Moore I'm sure was being held back by Garrett for example.

i dont think the red zone issues are on Garrett. but that could be me, i still have a big dislike for KM

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Yea, this is very important and a big reason why I'm not so sure Moore gets a job this offseason. He has basically no network and has never really been anywhere except Dallas, under Garrett who also had just about no network, and McCarthy for just 2 years.

Who is going to be his OC if he's the HC somewhere? Linehan? Our current WR's coach? Scott Tolzien?

And Philbin has arguably been McCarthy's best hire, he's one of the best OL coaches in the league, has been awesome here and there is a 0.0000000% chance that he goes anywhere for the rest of his career. He's basically in Dallas until we don't want him anymore or he retires.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He has basically no network and has never really been anywhere except Dallas, under Garrett who also had just about no network, and McCarthy for just 2 years. Who is going to be his OC if he's the HC somewhere? Linehan? Our current WR's coach? Scott Tolzien?
:picard

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'll bring it up again, David Moore saying he had a strong feeling (which probably means he knew but didn't want to give away a source) that Garrett put the clamps down on Moore when we went to New Orleans after the hot start when everyone was talking about how creative the offense had been the first two games. Why? Because Jason was very egotistical and very concerned with his image, and he didn't like all the media praise Kellen was getting.

That's another thing to appreciate about Mike, he doesn't have a huge ego. I've watched most of his PCs the last couple of months and he's perfectly content to let the coordinators get the credit as long as we're playing well and winning.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Continuity is huge in football, especially with the coaching staff... so, I am all for Jerry opening up his Scrooge McDuckian vault and letting them stuff their pockets with swag.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'll bring it up again, David Moore saying he had a strong feeling (which probably means he knew but didn't want to give away a source) that Garrett put the clamps down on Moore when we went to New Orleans after the hot start when everyone was talking about how creative the offense had been the first two games. Why? Because Jason was very egotistical and very concerned with his image, and he didn't like all the media praise Kellen was getting.

That's another thing to appreciate about Mike, he doesn't have a huge ego. I've watched most of his PCs the last couple of months and he's perfectly content to let the coordinators get the credit as long as we're playing well and winning.
He still has an ego, otherwise he wouldn't even bother to do the job.

And I don't think he has ever sold himself as some sort of sooper genius that needs the credit either.

Honestly, he is the opposite of what he was in Green Bay. He has a super staff here, there not exactly.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Why? Because Jason was very egotistical and very concerned with his image, and he didn't like all the media praise Kellen was getting.
I felt like Garrett considered that offense flashy, gimmicky, not sustainable, and felt they needed to get back to basics. Not because he didn't want Kellen getting credit necessarily, but there was just a right way to play the game...no deviating from the program.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I felt like Garrett considered that offense flashy, gimmicky, not sustainable, and felt they needed to get back to basics. Not because he didn't want Kellen getting credit necessarily, but there was just a right way to play the game...no deviating from the program.
No, no. Better to assume with absolutely no evidence that Jason Garrett was just a terrible person who wanted to keep Moore down even though Moore would tell you the opposite.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
No, no. Better to assume with absolutely no evidence that Jason Garrett was just a terrible person who wanted to keep Moore down even though Moore would tell you the opposite.
All in going to say about this is that they wouldn't say these kind of things publicly if it was true.

Not saying I believe it. Just that the absence of it in the media doesn't mean anything.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm not saying he was a terrible person (though I'm not sure he was as wonderful a human as the media suggested either) or was trying to keep Moore down. More like, slow down young fella, you've just started and I've been an oc for years now, you don't know more than I do.

And if you think egos and jealousy can't come in to play in these situations... Well of course they can. Remember how pissy Garrett got with Callahan? Most likely because Jerry liked him and took away Jason's playcalling job and handed it to the new guy BC.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I honestly think the truth is somewhere in between. There was all kinds of talk about him sandbagging wade. His play calling was always pretty vanilla and it very would could have been that he truly believed going old school Xs and Os was the way to win. When you don’t see the gambles pay off enough you stop taking them. Just devils advocate

ZeroClub

UFA
People usually do things for more than one reason. Multiple factors influence decisions.

Quieting Moore's creativity likely had a few different payoffs for Garrett.

My guess:

1. Garrett knew that Jimmy's formula worked and Garrett was very reluctant to stray from the basic "We do what we do, try to stop us" style of football. Garrett didn't have a Plan B. Which goes along with mcnutts says above.

2. Garrett didn't entirely trust that Moore would be successful. Moore was an inexperienced OC who was still wet behind the ears. Garrett probably saw himself as Moore's mentor. Garrett wouldn't have seen Moore as the coaching staff's potential savior.

3. Garrett was worried about his job and feeling insecure. He wanted to win his way. He needed to be very much in control, at least in part because of his ego.

... and there's probably a few more things, like not wanting to put too much on Dak. There were some doubts about Dak's ability and ceiling back then.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Truth be told, having Garrett around may have had a hand in inspiring Kellen.

KM seems like a guy who can not only learn from anyone he works with, but also filter through what they do and don't do well. So he likely learned a lot from Garrett, and I don't believe it was all bad.

Garrett was rigid and would have no change, but he did treat people well. He seemed to love the players and they love him, but he's the last of a dying breed. Those old school coaches who couldn't change with the times.

So it is great now to have a head coach, who like someone mentioned before...empowers his coaches to bring their creative energies to the table. Mike is a touch old-school guy but seems to have recognized his football mortality. You can't be rigid, you can't win by doing it the same way it's always been done. He's a trusting delegator, motivator, communicator, and most of all a "credit giver". Things that Garrett just seemed to be really bad at.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

Top Bottom