Cowboys CB Brandon Carr declines to say if he’ll accept pay cut

Jiggyfly

Banned
Cowboys CB Brandon Carr declines to say if he’ll accept pay cut: “I’m here until told otherwise. That’s my philosophy.”

David Moore Follow @DavidMooreDMN Email dmoore@dallasnews.com
Published: May 4, 2015 12:31 am
NS_04detroitdallasLD27

Related
5 Cowboys draft questions; Was Jason Garrett completely on board with Randy Gregory pick?
Charles Haley: Randy Gregory was a steal for the Cowboys; 'The guy can get it done'
Brandon Carr is in the Cowboys financial cross-hairs. While the club has yet to ask him to take a pay cut, it’s only a matter of time.

Will the veteran cornerback take less money when the club asks?

“Some things I don’t discuss out in public,’’ Carr said. “This is one of those.’’

Carr counts $12.7 million against the salary cap this season. His base salary is $8 million. That’s a high price for a cornerback who is coming off a season where he failed to intercept a pass.

If Carr refuses to reduce his base salary, the Cowboys can designate him as a post June 1 cut, meaning his base salary will come off this year’s cap but a charge of $7.4 million will roll into next season.

Ben Dogra, who represents Carr, has said his client won’t take a cut.

“I love playing football,’’ Carr said. “I love being a Dallas Cowboy as well. I mean, that’s been stated a million times.’’

Carr finds himself in a position similar to the one right tackle Doug Free faced last offseason. If he refuses to take the cut, the Cowboys can threaten to dump him on the open market at a time when he’s likely to get even less money from another team than the Cowboys reduced offer.

Selecting Byron Jones in the first round of this draft appears to give the Cowboys more leverage in these upcoming discussions, but Carr doesn’t view it that way.

“I say we’ve got a young guy, drafted a guy, a defensive back and they thought highly of him,’’ Carr said. “I’m looking forward to having him in the room with us and grooming him to get ready to play.’’

And how does Carr assess his status with the Cowboys?

“I’m still here,’’ he said. “I’m here until told otherwise. That’s my philosophy.

“At the end of the day, if I’m playing football then I’m going to give my all for whoever I’m playing for.’’

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So his agent has already said no. I would guess that he has already discussed this with Carr and that was his answer.

I don't want any part of dead money so just bite the bullet this year. We will need all we can get next season for Hardy (barring a lifetime ban).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So his agent has already said no. I would guess that he has already discussed this with Carr and that was his answer.

I don't want any part of dead money so just bite the bullet this year. We will need all we can get next season for Hardy (barring a lifetime ban).
Yeah I don't see a reason to designate it as a June 1st cut. Just clear him now. Next year your rookie and Scrandrick start with Claiborne and Patmon fighting for the nickle. At some point you can look at Jones as a safety but I think for the time being you put him at corner and let him concentrate on one position to start.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah I don't see a reason to designate it as a June 1st cut. Just clear him now. Next year your rookie and Scrandrick start with Claiborne and Patmon fighting for the nickle. At some point you can look at Jones as a safety but I think for the time being you put him at corner and let him concentrate on one position to start.
Unless Claiborne has a great season he won't be here next year, they didn't pick up his fifth year option.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless Claiborne has a great season he won't be here next year, they didn't pick up his fifth year option.
Yeah, I'm just talking about the upcoming season. We may have to consider a nickle guy again next offseason. If Claiborne somehow has a great season I'd resign him and move Jones to FS.

Top Bottom