Cowboys candidates in free agency and the draft to improve the WR position

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Another season like this last one and I won't be wondering what we need to do at QB.
Trent Dilfer, Brian Griese, and RG3 all had solid 20+/low int seasons just like Dak did and all left their teams searching for answers shortly thereafter.

Sometimes a team can be good enough to rally around a QB and make him look better than he is. It takes a really, really stupid front office and coaching staff to not recognize the situation.

Dallas needs to draft a QB in the 4th as a backup+guy who can apply some competitive pressure on Dak.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trent Dilfer, Brian Griese, and RG3 all had solid 20+/low int seasons just like Dak did and all left their teams searching for answers shortly thereafter.

Sometimes a team can be good enough to rally around a QB and make him look better than he is. It takes a really, really stupid front office and coaching staff to not recognize the situation.

Dallas needs to draft a QB in the 4th as a backup+guy who can apply some competitive pressure on Dak.
Cooper Rush looked pretty damn good in preseason. If he has another preseason like that I'd feel good about him.

I'd still have no problem taking a middle round QB.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
We already know where the real problem is. No need to experiment any further.
Are we sure it's time to throw in the towel on Dak? I know he straight up sucked this past season but maybe he turns it around. Next year is the last on his rookie contract so he gets one more shot. I'm against re-signing him if he flops in 18'.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are we sure it's time to throw in the towel on Dak? I know he straight up sucked this past season but maybe he turns it around. Next year is the last on his rookie contract so he gets one more shot. I'm against re-signing him if he flops in 18'.
Jesus, not sure when an 86.6 QB rating and a 9-7 record became this bad but he didn't straight up suck. We certainly need him to play better but it wasn't really bad. More like average.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jesus, not sure when an 86.6 QB rating and a 9-7 record became this bad but he didn't straight up suck. We certainly need him to play better but it wasn't really bad. More like average.
One of the worst things that could have happened to Dak was to have the rookie season that he did as far as the fans go. It leads to unreal expectations that cause stupid arguments that we have been recently seeing concerning Dak.

Give it a break guys. We all knew he was going to be a project before his rookie season so why now demand that he is Tom Brady?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the worst things that could have happened to Dak was to have the rookie season that he did as far as the fans go. It leads to unreal expectations that cause stupid arguments that we have been recently seeing concerning Dak.

Give it a break guys. We all knew he was going to be a project before his rookie season so why now demand that he is Tom Brady?
It's funny, guys like Mariota had far worse seasons last year but no one is nearly as hard in him. Derek Carr has a similar season to Dak statically but no one is thinking he is a failure. QBs have down years, it happens. And Dak wasn't the only problem on offense. I see no reason why we can't fix things around him and get him back to where he was.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Yep. Tried to tell some to not expect him to repeat his rookie year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. Tried to tell some to not expect him to repeat his rookie year.
I've got to think all the mayhem surrounding Zeke got to him a bit. He not only missed him for 6 weeks but the whole season we never really knew if he would play week to week. Put a lot of added pressure on Dak to feel like he had to carry the offense. Which he wasn't ready to do.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
His passes we're all over the place, even when receivers were open. But he had so many factors working against him. At the time I was so frustrated I thought he was just fool's gold from 16'. But when the season ended and I started seeing the big picture I could see that he had a lot of pressure and expectations on him. And that's asking a lot of a second year guy with so many pieces missing around him. He seems to be an intelligent guy with a good head on his shoulders. Maybe he can get back on track.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I've got to think all the mayhem surrounding Zeke got to him a bit. He not only missed him for 6 weeks but the whole season we never really knew if he would play week to week. Put a lot of added pressure on Dak to feel like he had to carry the offense. Which he wasn't ready to do.

The idea the Dak "felt like he had to carry the offense" is spot on. At times in 2017 it seemed like he was forcing things, whereas in 2016 he just went out and played. He was loose.

And of course, the Moe, Larry and Curly coaching triumvirate was incapable of managing a 2nd year QB who suddenly was under enormous pressure. Instead of adapting to Dak's strengths, instead of creating opportunities, they tried to force feed Garrett's unimaginative, predictable offense.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Of course it did and no he wasn’t ready to step up in the shoes of a seasoned QB. I don’t know how to quantify the Elliot boondoggle but Dallas had some pretty good RBs to fill in.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
In the games when Elliott was out, the Cowboys gave the ball to Morris 11, 17, 9, 27, 19, 16 times. The gameplans against the Falcons and Chargers were demented and sunk Prescott and the season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the games when Elliott was out, the Cowboys gave the ball to Morris 11, 17, 9, 27, 19, 16 times. The gameplans against the Falcons and Chargers were demented and sunk Prescott and the season.
Yep, the coaches clearly did not treat Morris the way they do Zeke.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yep, the coaches clearly did not treat Morris the way they do Zeke.
They finally got something going with Morris vs Atlanta and then immediately shat the bed with minimal protection deep pass that resulted in another sack.

That game truly underscored this staff’s inability to win without top notch talent.

Top Bottom