Cowboys at Redskins | Week 16 Gameday Chatter Thread | 12/22/13

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
bbgun said:
But Jerry + a better coach would have to be better than the status quo, right? i'm probably kidding myself.
Assuming he can find someone better to take the job
I thought Gailey's replacement would be better than the status quo...but we ended up with Campo. Wade's replacement had to be better than the status quo, right?...but Jerry gave us Garrett.

I'll never understand Jerry. We all know he has a Texas sized ego and is still thirsting for the credit that Jimmy got when we won those SB's. While most would be content with owning the team and hiring the best GM and HC they could find, not Jerry. But he's not just content with being the GM. He also wants to make try to win with a HC that won't overshadow him. It's totally futile because the decisions he makes to put himself in the position he's in is counterproductive to winning.

But it's obvious that no matter how much we lose with Jerry being the GM and hiring low-key neutered puppet HC's, he'll just continue with this same strategy only changing the names. Like I've said for years, he'd rather be in control and lose than win with someone else getting the credit. Mind-boggling, but that's what it's always boiled down to since his split with Jimmy.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jerry would be receptive to a knowledgable parter he could trust. Someone with a strong personality who can withstand a circus and still make it all about football. BP was the last chance at that.

Who could possibly be that guy now? Gruden? Cowher? Those guys are clowns.

It would take Nick Saben, and why would he ever leave Alabama?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I thought Gailey's replacement would be better than the status quo...but we ended up with Campo. Wade's replacement had to be better than the status quo, right?...but Jerry gave us Garrett.

I'll never understand Jerry. We all know he has a Texas sized ego and is still thirsting for the credit that Jimmy got when we won those SB's. While most would be content with owning the team and hiring the best GM and HC they could find, not Jerry. But he's not just content with being the GM. He also wants to make try to win with a HC that won't overshadow him. It's totally futile because the decisions he makes to put himself in the position he's in is counterproductive to winning.

But it's obvious that no matter how much we lose with Jerry being the GM and hiring low-key neutered puppet HC's, he'll just continue with this same strategy only changing the names. Like I've said for years, he'd rather be in control and lose than win with someone else getting the credit. Mind-boggling, but that's what it's always boiled down to since his split with Jimmy.
I don't really want Garrett fired if we can't get a rainmaker. If we could get Bill Cowher I'd be interested. Zimmer interests me a little bit. He's just a really good coach. We haven't seen defenses as good as his 4-3 schemes. You guys used to bitch and bitch about his gutless defenses because we didn't get TOs or sacks but it was a damn effective 4-3 scheme.

The rest of these guys don't really excite me (especially 10 give me a break, Manning is the OC not this guy):

10. Adam Gase, Broncos offensive coordinator: The Broncos offense is amazing, and by the end of the season, it might be called one of the best in NFL history. Obviously, a huge reason for that is Peyton Manning, but Gase, at the age of 35, deserves plenty of credit as well. He is one of the young up-and-coming assistants, taking over this job for current Chargers head coach Mike McCoy after McCoy and Gase helped mold the offense for Tim Tebow and then remolded it for Manning. Now, will Gase really have a shot at landing a head coaching job after this season? Perhaps not. But will he be a legitimate candidate in the years to come, based in part because Manning believes in him? For sure.

9. Dave Toub, Chiefs special teams coach: After interviewing for the Bears head coaching job that went to Marc Trestman, Toub accepted Andy Reid's offer to take over special teams in Kansas City. And he's turned it into one of the best units in the league, ranking third in the NFL according to the Football Outsiders measurements. And just because he's a special teams coach, that doesn't mean Toub can't jump right into the head coaching spot. John Harbaugh made that leap, and last season, he won a Super Bowl.

8. Greg Roman, 49ers offensive coordinator: Despite the idea that 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has regressed some this year, the 49ers are still in the top-10 of points scored. In reality, San Francisco, despite a five-game streak earlier this season in which the team didn't score less than 31 points, isn't as good on offense this year. Still, even with other offensive coordinators who could draw interest as a head coach (Cincinnati's Jay Gruden, Indianapolis' Pep Hamilton and New England's Josh McDaniels being three), Roman's performance in the past few years -- helping make Alex Smith a competent quarterback, molding the offense around Kaepernick last season, getting within a few yards of winning a Super Bowl -- still should make him a hot candidate.

7. Mike Zimmer, Bengals defensive coordinator: The only reason people can figure that Zimmer, whose defenses impress every single season, hasn't received an offer for a head coaching job is because he reportedly doesn't play nice at interviews. He apparently tells the truth, and perhaps, he's too rough when interviewing with owners and general managers. Doesn't suck up as much as he should. Or maybe he just doesn't interview well in general. Either way -- and we said it in this space two years ago -- it's time for Zimmer finally to get his chance. He's more than earned it.

6. Todd Bowles, Cardinals defensive coordinator: Bowles has been on the precipice of being a head coach the past few seasons. He was the assistant head coach under Tony Sparano in Miami for a number of years, and when Sparano was fired, Bowles took over as interim. After he didn't get the job won by Joe Philbin, Bowles spent last season as the secondary coach in what became a disastrous season in Philadelphia. But Bowles has begun to resurrect himself in Arizona in 2013 with a defense that's hanging out just outside the top-10. And how did Bowles do when he was Miami's interim coach? He won two out of three games and nearly knocked off the eventual AFC champions, Patriots. He was impressive then, and he very well could make the same impression if he gets a chance at a head coaching job now.

5. Lovie Smith, former Bears coach: In nine seasons as the Bears head coach, Smith went 81-63 and provided a sense of stability that hadn't been evident in Chicago since Mike Ditka roamed the sidelines. But Smith also only made the playoffs three times, and even though the team went 10-6 in 2012, the Bears again missed the postseason. That led to his dismissal. Apparently Smith is ready to get back to work, reportedly interviewing for the job at USC and landing on lists to return to the NFL as a head coach. He's had success in the past, and Andy Reid's renaissance in Kansas City this season could lead owners to avoid the unknown college coaches and return to a coach like Smith.

4. David Shaw, Stanford coach: Since taking over for Jim Harbaugh after the 2011 season, Shaw's Cardinal teams are a combined 31-5 and he's earned a pair of Pac 12 coach of the year awards. He's quite clearly a capable head coach. Plus, he also has nine years of NFL experience, coaching with the Eagles, Raiders and Ravens. Shaw has said in the past that he's not interested in the NFL, but that, of course, could change if enough money is offered.

3. Jon Gruden, ESPN analyst: It's got to happen one of these years, right? At some point Gruden will want to get out of the Monday Night Football booth and get back on the field, correct? CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora reports that Gruden most likely would land with the Falcons or the Raiders this year if he decides to transition back to coaching. Which has to happen at some point, yes?

2. Ray Horton, Browns defensive coordinator: The man who Bowles replaced in Arizona after head coach Ken Whisenhunt and his staff were fired, has moved on to Cleveland, and he's done an impressive job with the Browns. He took a Cardinals defense ranked as one of the worst and made it the 12th-best last season, and after interviewing for three head coaching jobs last offseason, he's taken a Browns defense that lacks stars and turned it into the fifth-best unit in the league. Horton clearly was mad he didn't get a head coaching job last year. You have to think there's a good chance he'll be pleased this offseason.

1. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M head coach:At this point of the season, it seems as though everything that happens to Sumlin in the next few months is up to him. He can stay at Texas A&M, with his high-priced salary, and perhaps continue to build an SEC franchise that could eventually turn into an perennial powerhouse. Or he can test himself in the NFL, where seemingly a number of teams would love to see how his offense operates in the pros. Eagles coach Chip Kelly has been up and down since he arrived in the NFL, but that won't stop a desperate owner from salivating at the possibility of discovering if Sumlin can be the one former college coach to change the NFL's landscape.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I can't believe Peyton is going to break the passing yardage and TD record, that is truly amazing.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jerry would be receptive to a knowledgable parter he could trust. Someone with a strong personality who can withstand a circus and still make it all about football. BP was the last chance at that.

He's only gone with the premiere type coach once since Jimmy left and that was mainly due to becoming desperate following the 5-11 Campo years and needing help to turn it around to gain support for the new stadium. None of his other 5 post-Jimmy hires were even remotely close to being premium HC's. There's a reason for that, he doesn't want one. Those types actually demand bizarre things like being able to hire their own staff. That won't fly in JerryWorld. Unless he finally gets hit in the wallet I doubt he'll ever relinquish the control it'd take to bring in a real HC.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't really want Garrett fired if we can't get a rainmaker. If we could get Bill Cowher I'd be interested. Zimmer interests me a little bit. He's just a really good coach. We haven't seen defenses as good as his 4-3 schemes. You guys used to bitch and bitch about his gutless defenses because we didn't get TOs or sacks but it was a damn effective 4-3 scheme.

The rest of these guys don't really excite me (especially 10 give me a break, Manning is the OC not this guy):
Not many on that list would excite me. But I think some of them could be quality NFL HC's but they'd need to be given the power and authority a HC requires in order to be successful. As long as Jerry continues to run the show the way he has for most of the last 20 years, then most of these guys will be hard pressed winning big here.

That said, I still think we need to dump Garrett. If we can find a HC and/or OC that knows how to run an offense in a balanced manner who could be greatly improved.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Zimmer had one good year here and his defense will never be good enough to beat a good offense. It's just going to get by against bad to mediocre ones then get ultra-raped as soon as we face an opponent like the 2006 Saints. Ultra conservative defenses that don't make plays get you killed against a top QB who can pick you apart like a Brees, Brady, Rodgers etc. You have to mix things up and hit those guys to get them off their game plan.

I will say this for Zimmer. If we had stuck with his D in 2005 and added Ware and Spears to the line with Ellis and Glover he might have had his best year ever as a DC.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

How are Gruden and Cowher clowns? They are both tough, no nonsense football coaches. Basically the opposite of clowns. Guys like Campo and Switzer are clowns.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Aw heck. I thought the Rocky video was about the squirrel.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
We'll get blown out and embarrassed. We have no answer for their running back. He'll kill us. I hope Lee can play...
How did we hold him to 18 carries for 55 yards then?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

We caught them at a good time. They're on fire right now and our defense sucks.

I saved one of my Christmas wishes for next Sunday, so there is a chance for a miracle.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Carr had the flu, but still he has been bad when healthy. He needs to be on Cooper and Scandrick on Jackson. Our coverage was weid yesterdy...so many times we took away the outside to force them to the middle...which is baffling. You have an inexperienced LB group and coverage is not the Ss best trait. We did hold Cousins down though.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
In the finals of my money league and my opponent has Foles and McCoy. I have no chance when I have to hope that in a winner take all game that the Dallas defense will come there. FML.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Carr had the flu, but still he has been bad when healthy. He needs to be on Cooper and Scandrick on Jackson.
Absolutely, but Marinelli needs to work his magic and get his goons to pass rush. It's amazing how it's gone all of a sudden. They were doing well with schlubs earlier in the year and now nothing.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Absolutely, but Marinelli needs to work his magic and get his goons to pass rush. It's amazing how it's gone all of a sudden. They were doing well with schlubs earlier in the year and now nothing.
I think that's the reason why - they were schlubs and the magic could only work so long with guys that have next to no talent.

The real problem is Ware. He might be on the decline, but he should still possess some type of talent. Certainly enough to where the guy shouldn't go 4 or 5 games without a sack or whatever it is now.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I know you're a pretty optimistic guy, but do you honestly think there is any chance whatsoever of this defense repeating that performance again?

The way this defense is playing coupled with the way Philly is scoring, I'd consider it a victory if the Cowboys somehow kept them under 30 points.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We caught them at a good time. They're on fire right now and our defense sucks.

I saved one of my Christmas wishes for next Sunday, so there is a chance for a miracle.
:lol

The week before they got blown out by the lowly Vikings and McCoy finished with 38 yards. The Eagles are fully capable of putting on a stinker like that again. Not that it really matters because Dallas can't hang with the elite teams in the NFL once they are in the playoffs but I'm not going to curl in the fetal position and pretend like we are all just waiting for a good rape next weekend.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
As I said last night I believe Romo was the MVP of that game because he was clutch at the end but were 3-4 times he should have run the ball with tons of open space in front of him. Not sure what has happened to him in that regards other than him being scared of getting hit. I can't come up with anything else.

Top Bottom