Cowboys at Eagles | Week 7 Game Day Chatter Thread | 10/20/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Clearly, having the DBs play man has been infinitely better than having them play zone.

Also, playing RGknee and Nick Foles are preferable to Peyton Manning.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You paint yourself in corners with extreme opinions and just cross your arms and say you are right when it does not appear that way.
It's not an extreme opinion to say that the DL is more important than the DBs, its just the truth. Sorry if you can't accept that.

These terrible QBs in Foles and RGIII had big games the week prior and week after we played them. Now they are both terrible QBs to discredit the CB play.
We've gotten good CB play and that has helped us win games recently, nobody denied that. Bad CB play can lose you games.... look at when Terence Newman was here.

But that doesn't change much.

PS... I've never been on the "RG3 is a great QB" bandwagon. We still get shredded almost every time we face an elite QB, and that's not a mystery as to why... our defense is built incorrectly.

Even if we came out and shut down one of these great CBs for a game or two or a stretch, that doesn't change anything. Our defense was ranked 32nd coming into today in yards. The secondary isn't carrying it anywhere.

Beat up on Nick Foles and start thumping your chest? Come on, dude.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The CBs led us to two straight wins...so there is that. The play when Foles got knocked out was a coverage sack...you know, because of the CBs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's nice.

The DL is more important than the DBs, too, so there's that.
That wasn't the discussion. The discussion was which has been more impactful over the last two games, and it absolutely has been the DBs.

Cotton

Staff member
That being said, without the DL play... and we haven't really had it.... a good QB performance would have picked these guys apart the last 2 weeks.

Carp

DCC 4Life
That's nice.

The DL is more important than the DBs, too, so there's that.
You dismiss CBs and act like you can throw anyone out there and get by. You have to spend resources and that is clear right now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That wasn't the discussion. The discussion was which has been more impactful over the last two games, and it absolutely has been the DBs.
That was the discussion? According to who? I never entered into that discussion.

I jumped in when Carp said "All the CB haters can suck a huge dick." As if that wasn't directed right at me. Please note that statement says nothing about "which was more impactful."

So I responded by saying it's silly to point out how dominating the CBs are coming off performances against Foles/Barkley and RGIII, when our overall stats and performance this year have been abysmal.

That's all.

The big picture still indicates that, despite having a kick-ass group of CBs who are all playing well right now, our defense needs a lot of work. I wonder why.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
That being said, without the DL play... and we haven't really had it.... a good QB performance would have picked these guys apart the last 2 weeks.
Bad QB play can't be credited to CBs...they just had off days and stuff.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And?

That's true.

You apply the same rush to Peyton Manning and he beats us with this same DB performance.

Or maybe I just imagined all the missed passes by Foles.

You literally just said you agree with me that DL > DB. Like 4 posts ago.

If that's true (and it is) then you realize that the DBs, while playing well, are still susceptible to good QB play. The only way to disrupt that is gonna be an elite pass rush.

Two games and people want to act like we're the 2000 Ravens. Somehow, I bet, we'll end up disappointed with these defense by the end of the year, the defense featuring three kick ass CBs.

That's my point.

Don't give a shit which was more "impactful" on a day when Foles couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, it's irrelevant.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
That was the discussion? According to who? I never entered into that discussion.

I jumped in when Carp said "All the CB haters can suck a huge dick." As if that wasn't directed right at me. Please note that statement says nothing about "which was more impactful."

So I responded by saying it's silly to point out how dominating the CBs are coming off performances against Foles/Barkley and RGIII, when our overall stats and performance this year have been abysmal.

That's all.

The big picture still indicates that, despite having a kick-ass group of CBs, our defense needs a lot of work. I wonder why.
The defense won the last two games...mostly due to CB play. Weird how that happened.

Cotton

Staff member
The defense won the last two games...mostly due to CB play. Weird how that happened.
That's the discussion at hand, and there is no denying the DBs had more to do with our defensive performance the last two weeks than the DL.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You know, people bitch about how bad the NFC East is, but take a look around the other divisions. Not particularly that much better. I guess the biggest difference is that ours doesn't have an alpha dog.

But none of those other divisions had to play the 7-0 Chiefs and 6-0 Broncos yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom