Cowboys at Bears | Week 14 Gameday Chatter Thread | 12/8/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We did not have 7 minutes to run a drive where we ran the ball 6-8 times. We had a minute and a half.

Right, and so you are saying, with the benefit of hindsight, that we should have taken the safer approach.

I say there is no problem with "gambling" by trying to get points before the half there. Happens every single week in the NFL. It didn't work, but that doesn't make it a bad decision.

Well we threw a complete pass on first down and then suffered an injury which required the use of a timeout. That injury could have happened on a running play just as easily.

It's not poor strategy to pass to try to score before the half.

You don't even listen. It's amazing.

Genghis Khan

So did Romo. Chicago's D has been bad this year and they were missing Tillman last night.
Missing Tillman and Briggs and Melton.

This is where smitty comes back with we're all time bad, they are just bad bad. There may be percentages involved.

Genghis Khan

And yet ours played infinitely worse than theirs did last night. It's not like, oh, the rankings are close, that means both defenses always play about the same.
Shit I swear I hadn't read this yet and I nailed his response. :lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You don't even listen. It's amazing.
You haven't said anything worth listening to.

We get it.... you think they should have protected the defense by running the clock out and punting.

Unfortunately, that's not bad game management just because you say it is.

I think they should have tried to get points and the better option to do that in a 2 minute drill is by passing.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Stupid to argue about this game when it was such a blowout. Kind of like the end of 2011, there's nothing you can do with a defense that isn't defending a damned thing.

Genghis Khan

You haven't said anything worth listening to.

We get it.... you think they should have protected the defense by running the clock out and punting.

Unfortunately, that's not bad game management just because you say it is.

I think they should have tried to get points and the better option to do that in a 2 minute drill is by passing.
It's not good game management just because you say it is.

Also, you just proved me right that you don't listen. My argument is you'd be an idiot not to realize that they'd have a better chance of moving the ball and scoring by running the ball, and there was plenty of time and two time outs to do so. it would have the side benefit of running clock and protect the defense.

If you think they had a better chance by passing then you didn't...watch the game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's not good game management just because you say it is.
No, but it is because almost every single team passes in the two minute drill at some time or another and risks giving the ball back before the half.

Or at least I should say, it proves it's not bad management. It's coach discretion.

Also, you just proved me right that you don't listen. My argument is you'd be an idiot not to realize that they'd have a better chance of moving the ball and scoring by running the ball,
That argument is incorrect. They were not going to go 70 yards on the ground in a minute and a half, even with 2 timeouts.

and there was plenty of time and two time outs to do so.
No, there wasn't. You are talking crazy. It took us 7 minutes to go a similar distance earlier in the game and it was aided by a 20 yard run. It would be almost unheard of to move the ball 70 yards in that amount of time with a minute and a half left.

it would have the side benefit of running clock and protect the defense.
It would have had that benefit, but it would have almost eliminated the possibility of getting points.

And trying to get points was the right thing to do there, which meant passing.

If you think they had a better chance by passing then you didn't...watch the game.
Romo already had 2 TD passes by that point and had already directed 2 TD drives, even though they were largely on the ground. Wasn't gonna doubt him at that point, as he had not really struggled badly to that point.

Genghis Khan

Why do bad things keep happening to a good coach? One of the great mysteries of life.

superpunk

Banned
Obviously the plan was not to have Romo throw three straight incompletions, just like it wasn't Trestman's plan to have Forte run out of bounds and save us a timeout.

Genghis Khan

even though they were largely on the ground.
/discussion

Btw, you keep bringing up this 7 minute drive, and it's retarded. They weren't in hurry up and they weren't using time outs and spikes and getting out of bounds to preserve clock. Otherwise, great point. :dunce

Smitty

DCC 4Life
/discussion
No, it isn't.

We had plenty of time to move the ball on the ground on those drives.

We didn't have time with only a minute and a half left.

/discussion

Btw, you keep bringing up this 7 minute drive, and it's retarded.
It's not retarded, it's undeniable proof that running the ball generally takes significantly longer to get down the field because the gains are almost uniformly shorter and there are very few clock stoppages.

They weren't in hurry up and they weren't using time outs and spikes and getting out of bounds to preserve clock. Otherwise, great point. :dunce
I love your point that teams should try to run the ball in the two minute offense.

I wonder why this fucking genius idea hasn't taken the league by storm yet.

Oh right.... cause it's fucking moronic.

Genghis Khan

Obviously the plan was not to have Romo throw three straight incompletions, just like it wasn't Trestman's plan to have Forte run out of bounds and save us a timeout.
Every time something goes wrong, it wasnt the plan. Doesn't make it a good plan.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Every time something goes wrong, it wasnt the plan. Doesn't make it a good plan.
But passing the ball in a two minute offense is a good plan as evidenced by the fact that it's what every other team does.

You just don't get it or don't want to get it, clearly. :lol

I'm guessing the latter since you are incapable of ever admitting Garrett didn't mess up, due to your ridiculous agenda.

Genghis Khan

But passing the ball in a two minute offense is a good plan as evidenced by the fact that it's what every other team does.

You just don't get it or don't want to get it, clearly. :lol

I'm guessing the latter since you are incapable of ever admitting Garrett didn't mess up, due to your ridiculous agenda.
:lol

Smitty claiming someone has a ridiculous agenda regarding Garrett. :lol Yeah it's a ridiculous agenda to blame the HC when his team fails time after time. It's always something else. Amazing.

Teflon Don.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom