Cowboys 2013 Draft Board Posted?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't get the Jordan and Mingo love either...those guys are clear cut 3-4 OLBs IMO and we had them very high.

I am just hoping we thought Rhodes was a FS.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't get the Jordan and Mingo love either...those guys are clear cut 3-4 OLBs IMO and we had them very high.

I am just hoping we thought Rhodes was a FS.
Our scouts clearly have no clue what the coaches are doing. It's the same reason why they had Floyd high and our coaches didn't want him because he is a poor fit for this defense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It is clear we are definitely corner whores and OL adverse. Just look at how many damn CBs were on our puny condensed draft board.
Clearly we can't evaluate the position.

PS, unless it's my browser, it looks like your first chart up there (the one that lists them by round and position) looks like everything is off by one column, like it needs to be moved over a space.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I like how high we had Barkley and Nassib and yet we passed on them over and over again.

data

Forbes #1
Which would you prefer:
Option A. Sharriff Floyd
Option B. Frederick and Williams

----

When our #18 pick came up these were the 1st-round talent available per the board
Sharriff Floyd
Xavier Rhodes
Cordarelle Patterson
Bjoern Woerner
Tyler Eifert

So, Jerruh thought - Get 2 players at #31 and #74 or get one of the players above.

data

Forbes #1
I like how high we had Barkley and Nassib and yet we passed on them over and over again.
:ballpunch

I would've preferred drafting Williams at #47, Nassib/Barkley at #74 and drafting a TE later (or not at all).

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:ballpunch

I would've preferred drafting Williams at #47, Nassib/Barkley at #74 and drafting a TE later (or not at all).
Of all the picks, the Escobar one bugs me the most. I just have zero confidence he does much of anything as long as Witten is playing at his usual level. That also means that I have less than zero confidence in Garrett's ability to design an offense that uses 13 personnel effectively enough to justify the investment.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Of all the picks, the Escobar one bugs me the most. I just have zero confidence he does much of anything as long as Witten is playing at his usual level. That also means that I have less than zero confidence in Garrett's ability to design an offense that uses 13 personnel effectively enough to justify the investment.
You can't use 13 players, booze!

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Which would you prefer:
Option A. Sharriff Floyd
Option B. Frederick and Williams

----

When our #18 pick came up these were the 1st-round talent available per the board
Sharriff Floyd
Xavier Rhodes
Cordarelle Patterson
Bjoern Woerner
Tyler Eifert

So, Jerruh thought - Get 2 players at #31 and #74 or get one of the players above.
That's the one I would have picked. Perfect Spencer replacement for 2014.

junk

Not So New Member
Garrett's lack of creativity will limit Escobar's impact. I just don't this two TE fascination. Teams have been trying to do it for years and the Patriots are the only team that has had any real success with it. Of course, they've had success running a variety of offenses.

Sure, I get it, the two TE set is supposed to bring balance to your offense and makes it hard for the defense to match up, you can run or pass out of it, yada, yada, yada.

It never really works. If you want a balanced, ball control offense, you can find that second TE somewhere other than round 2. If you want an explosive offense, a second TE isn't going to do that for you.

Considering Dallas has spent 3 2nd round picks on it in the last 7 years, I don't think they really know how to make it work. NE floundered around for a decade trying to make it work.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's the one I would have picked. Perfect Spencer replacement for 2014.
But...but...Frederick was the "Last of the Mohicans".

In other words, nobody taken after him will ever amount to a damn thing in the NFL.

That's basically what our board stated.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett's lack of creativity will limit Escobar's impact. I just don't this two TE fascination. Teams have been trying to do it for years and the Patriots are the only team that has had any real success with it. Of course, they've had success running a variety of offenses.

Sure, I get it, the two TE set is supposed to bring balance to your offense and makes it hard for the defense to match up, you can run or pass out of it, yada, yada, yada.

It never really works. If you want a balanced, ball control offense, you can find that second TE somewhere other than round 2. If you want an explosive offense, a second TE isn't going to do that for you.

Considering Dallas has spent 3 2nd round picks on it in the last 7 years, I don't think they really know how to make it work. NE floundered around for a decade trying to make it work.
The effect is overrated. Just about as much as the 3-4 D makes it impossible to "know where the rush is coming from". The Patriots went through years of Ben Watson/Daniel Graham and it wasn't dick. Hell, even the pioneer in Parcells had Bavaro/Mowatt, but the combination didn't mean multiple picks in premium rounds to get it done.

I honestly don't see Escobar as a dynamic player. And I am sorry to say it...in the second round, you still have to look at it like you can get something close to that.

data

Forbes #1
Check this out...say someone drafted Frederick before #31. We would've been left with, in this order, Terrance Williams, Escobar, Darius Slay (CB), Ertz (TE).

We definitely wouldn't have drafted Williams at #31, leaving us two TEs or a CB...or another trade down.

Oh boy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:budd

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Check this out...say someone drafted Frederick before #31. We would've been left with, in this order, Terrance Williams, Escobar, Darius Slay (CB), Ertz (TE).

We definitely wouldn't have drafted Williams at #31, leaving us two TEs or a CB...or another trade down.

Oh boy.
Jones would have bailed again.

He likes looking like he knows what he's doing when all he really is doing is reacting when it is clear his pants are down around his ankles. And he's not getting head.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

He likes looking like he knows what he's doing when all he really is doing is reacting when it is clear his pants are down around his ankles. And he's not getting head.
I think they would have drafted Escobar.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It is clear we are definitely corner whores and OL adverse. Just look at how many damn CBs were on our puny condensed draft board.
22 OL vs 30 DB's is not quite whoring level. 16:14 CB to safety ratio is also fairly even.

I think our biggest problem is that we hone in on Callahan or Kiffen body types up front and eliminate too many linemen from the board as a result. A 1st round talent is still going to be a good player even if he was a better fit as a 3-4 NT than as a 1-technique in a 4-3 defense. Dallas' board (which is looking legit, God help us) ensures the Cowboys will pass on a 1st round lineman who happened to fall to the late 3rd because their "body type" wasn't a perfect fit. They're forgetting how much talent matters.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Or even a reacharound.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
22 OL vs 30 DB's is not quite whoring level. 16:14 CB to safety ratio is also fairly even.

I think our biggest problem is that we hone in on Callahan or Kiffen body types up front and eliminate too many linemen from the board as a result. A 1st round talent is still going to be a good player even if he was a better fit as a 3-4 NT than as a 1-technique in a 4-3 defense. Dallas' board (which is looking legit, God help us) ensures the Cowboys will pass on a 1st round lineman who happened to fall to the late 3rd because their "body type" wasn't a perfect fit. They're forgetting how much talent matters.
What is the Callahan body type? We signed Livings and Bernadeau in the same offseason and they are totally different.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What is the Callahan body type? We signed Livings and Bernadeau in the same offseason and they are totally different.
Good question. I was thinking more about the DL than the OL when I posted, but IMO I think the Cowboys must believe players of lesser pedigree can succeed in Callahan's system and so they don't need to lean on the top rounds of the draft.

They don't so much eliminate OL from their board as not regard them highly in the first place. Meanwhile several DL who had nothing wrong with them at all were seriously downgraded or off the board entirely.

Top Bottom