Colts' Owner, Jim Irsay, fined $500K and suspended 6 games

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

1bigfan13

Staff member
This was a tricky situation for the league. That's a pretty big fine compared to what he was actually charged with.

You know if this were Jerry Jones the 6 game suspension would devastate him. Not sure how much it impacts Irsay.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They also banned him from Twitter while he is suspended. :lol

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This was a tricky situation for the league. That's a pretty big fine compared to what he was actually charged with.

You know if this were Jerry Jones the 6 game suspension would devastate him. Not sure how much it impacts Irsay.
What exactly does a 6 game suspension do to Irsay? He can't go to 6 games? Whoopee... And if that suspension was handed down to Jerry, how would it devastate him other than he couldn't be on TV during those games. I really doubt it would stop him from making day to day decisions. Hell, he could snap chat with Spaulding what he wanted done.

1bigfan13

Staff member
[MENTION=14]NoDak[/MENTION] you're thinking about this from a sane and ego-less point of view. Of course the suspension wouldn't bother you or I. But Jerry is an attention whore.

If he weren't allowed to hang around on game day it would bother him. Sitting at home watching isn't enough for him. That dude needs to be the center of attention.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
[MENTION=14]NoDak[/MENTION] you're thinking about this from a sane and ego-less point of view. Of course the suspension wouldn't bother you or I. But Jerry is an attention whore.

If he weren't allowed to hang around on game day it bother him. Sitting at home watching isn't enough for him. That dude needs to be the center of attention.
Yeah, I agree with all that. But my point was what does it really do in the grand scheme of things other than bruise his ego a little? A 6 game suspension for an owner is basically nothing. How does that penalize them? In Irsay's case, it amounts to little to nothing. (strictly talking the suspension, not the fine) So he can't get shitfaced in his luxury box on game day. Oh well.

In Jerry's case, since he's CEO and GM, I guess it could hinder his day to day running of the team. To the naked eye. But really, does anybody doubt that he'd still be pulling all the strings behind the big green curtain?

1bigfan13

Staff member
Yeah, I agree with all that. But my point was what does it really do in the grand scheme of things other than bruise his ego a little? A 6 game suspension for an owner is basically nothing. How does that penalize them? In Irsay's case, it amounts to little to nothing. (strictly talking the suspension, not the fine) So he can't get shitfaced in his luxury box on game day. Oh well.

In Jerry's case, since he's CEO and GM, I guess it could hinder his day to day running of the team. To the naked eye. But really, does anybody doubt that he'd still be pulling all the strings behind the big green curtain?
I agree that it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. That's why I wondered would it really bother Irsay. I mentioned that it would bother Jerry because I know how much Jerry enjoys game days and being around the team in general.

I liken it to taking video games away from Ace for 6 weeks. In the grand scheme of things it wouldn't mean much but it would tear him up for those 6 weeks.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think a bigger penalty would be to ban an owner during the offseason when they have to sign off on FA deals and possible trades. Now I know that is the GMs job, but the owner has to agree to pony up the money.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think a bigger penalty would be to ban an owner during the offseason when they have to sign off on FA deals and possible trades. Now I know that is the GMs job, but the owner has to agree to pony up the money.
Imo, even that would be a penalty in name only. I have no doubt that even during these suspensions, the owners would be making the decisions behind the scene. There is no way the league could keep 24hr surveillance on them to ensure they weren't involved.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Imo, even that would be a penalty in name only. I have no doubt that even during these suspensions, the owners would be making the decisions behind the scene. There is no way the league could keep 24hr surveillance on them to ensure they weren't involved.
No, but I'd make it clear draft picks would be taken if they violated that.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No, but I'd make it clear draft picks would be taken if they violated that.
Yeah, but how do they PROVE they were involved? I would doubt any owner would be stupid enough to leave a paper trail. Personal, private talks with whoever was in charge at the time, would be my guess. Just using the Cowboys as an example, how could they stop Jerry and Stephen from meeting outside the office? Drinks at Daddy's house... Talk a little football...

If they didn't have solid proof and started pulling draft picks on just circumstantial evidence, I'd think the league would be opening itself up to a lawsuit.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah, but how do they PROVE they were involved? I would doubt any owner would be stupid enough to leave a paper trail. Personal, private talks with whoever was in charge at the time, would be my guess. Just using the Cowboys as an example, how could they stop Jerry and Stephen from meeting outside the office? Drinks at Daddy's house... Talk a little football...

If they didn't have solid proof and started pulling draft picks on just circumstantial evidence, I'd think the league would be opening itself up to a lawsuit.
Eh...not sure why a team would risk it. They could do it if they wanted to.

Top Bottom