Coaching Staff Watch Thread...

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Garrett offset giving up play calling by adding more hand--clapping. That apparently is what garnered 4 more wins, not Marinelli and Linehan.
I've given the change in play calling a shitload of credit over the course of the season. I just don't think being a real HC instead of a glorified coordinator is necessarily a demotion.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
There's more to coaching than Xs and Os. I think if you're the "offensive head coach" and the other guy is the "defensive head coach" it's hard to get on "his guys" about things like preparation and effort. Overall, the team and the defense seemed a lot less "gutless" when his main job became setting the tone.
In the case of a Parcells or Jimmy who are the unquestioned big boss, I'd agree with you. But in this case, I don't. That D played for Marinelli, not because Garrett got on them any more.

Think back to last year up to Thanksgiving when Callahan was calling plays... That D was horrendous, and Jason was just a walk-around guy then, too.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I've given the change in play calling a shitload of credit over the course of the season. I just don't think being a real HC instead of a glorified coordinator is necessarily a demotion.
Marinelli got the most of the defense. Offense was much more productive with Linehan calling plays, instead of Garrett. Those two are the primary factors in our success this year along with a vastly improved OL, unless people think Jason had more influence over the defense than Marinelli and over the offense now that he's not calling plays.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Marinelli got the most of the defense. Offense was much more productive with Linehan calling plays, instead of Garrett. Those two are the primary factors in our success this year along with a vastly improved OL, unless people think Jason had more influence over the defense than Marinelli and over the offense now that he's not calling plays.
I don't disagree with any of that, necessarily, but I think Garrett had more influence on the team culture once he became the walkaround coach. Also I think it's easier for players to listen to a guy who isn't blowing games with stupid play calls.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
In the case of a Parcells or Jimmy who are the unquestioned big boss, I'd agree with you. But in this case, I don't. That D played for Marinelli, not because Garrett got on them any more.

Think back to last year up to Thanksgiving when Callahan was calling plays... That D was horrendous, and Jason was just a walk-around guy then, too.
He wasn't, really, he was busy fighting with Callahan like a kid trying to get his favorite toy back from his little brother.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Garrett offset giving up play calling by adding more hand--clapping. That apparently is what garnered 4 more wins, not Marinelli and Linehan.
This is why your position -- and Iamtdg's -- is wrong.

You act like he gave up playcalling and replaced it with nothing except idle time -- and thus did less overal.

No. Wrong. He got more involved in other things you can be sure.

By any measure, doing the same amount of work, just working on different things. How about your boss changes your job description, but you work just as hard as ever, and then at your performance review he says you were actually doing less? Bet you'd argue that.

The only reason you spin it this way is because.... You and iamtdg like to....

P-p-p-push it real good!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is why your position -- and Iamtdg's -- is wrong.

You act like he gave up playcalling and replaced it with nothing except idle time -- and thus did less overal.

No. Wrong. He got more involved in other things you can be sure.

By any measure, doing the same amount of work, just working on different things. How about your boss changes your job description, but you work just as hard as ever, and then at your performance review he says you were actually doing less? Bet you'd argue that.

The only reason you spin it this way is because.... You and iamtdg like to....

P-p-p-push it real good!
You are so white. That's not even how it goes.

Top Bottom