Coach Firings/Hirings Chatter

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Take a note of what, the potential of going from one dickhead to another?

At least there's the possibility that we go from dickhead to non-dickhead in that case.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Take a note of what, the potential of going from one dickhead to another?

At least there's the possibility that we go from dickhead to non-dickhead in that case.
Seriously. Let's cling to a shitty HC for fear that the replacement could be shittier.

Patently retarded.

I can't believe he's still trying to peddle that shit after the shitfest Garrett pulled this year.

The fact that Garrett is still here after everything he's done makes me fucking rage and completely sick to my stomach.

D

Deuce

Glazer said yesterday that Cleveland's #1 choice is Gase, but they can't interview him anytime soon. Munchack is probably them just wanting up remain active instead of twiddling their thumbs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Surprising. Thought the Lions had the inside track on him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Damn..I'd rather work with what Det has than Tenn.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ken Whisenhunt to coach Titans

Updated: January 13, 2014, 6:30 PM ET
By Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen | ESPN

Ken Whisenhunt has accepted an offer to become the next coach of the Tennessee Titans, according to league sources.

Whisenhunt was completing his duties Monday as the San Diego Chargers' offensive coordinator after the team was eliminated Sunday in the AFC divisional round by the Denver Broncos. The Detroit Lions had planned to send their team plane to San Diego but sources say Whisenhunt asked them to put those plans on hold until he was finished with his season-ending business with the Chargers.

Once he was finished, Whisenhunt strengthened his bond with the Titans as talks moved toward a potential deal. Earlier Monday, Titans CEO Tommy Smith brought Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer to Houston for a second interview.

With Whisenhunt out of the mix, the Lions are focusing more closely on Jim Caldwell as a leading candidate for their vacancy.

The Lions have kept open communications with the Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator and his representatives. Former Colts head coach Tony Dungy spoke with Lions vice chairman Bill Ford Jr. earlier Monday to reaffirm strong attributes he believed Caldwell would bring to the Lions. Caldwell coached under Dungy while with the Bucs and Colts before before succeeding him in Indy,

"I already had told [Lions GM] Martin Maywhew that Caldwell is a great match for a team that has the personnel of being capable of playing in the Super Bowl," said Dungy. "I think the Lions were not only impressed with Jim's interview but they were pleasantly surprised by the number of former Colts players who called on his behalf. Jim made Peyton Manning an even better quarterback -- look at the numbers and wins -- and I think he can do the same for Matthew Stafford.

"I know the Lions also want discipline and good character in the locker room. I'm not saying their other candidates can't achieve those things but those are Jim's strengths with his background, especially from his influence under Joe Paterno at Penn State and hopefully in our program in the NFL."

The Lions also have had a former Paterno player, ex-Titans coach Mike Munchak, high on their list. Sources said they were "pleasantly surprised" with Munchak's plan, presence and leadership. The Cleveland Browns were in Tennessee interviewing Munchak for their vacancy on Monday.

Whisenhunt was viewed as the leading candidate for the Lions but both sides wondered whether it was an ideal match, including Whisenhunt's preference to run a 3-4 defense with players who had been drafted primary for a 4-3 scheme.

Whisenhunt was strongly impressed with the Titans and the potential working relationship with GM Ruston Webster even though the team has questions at quarterback, whereas the Lions have an established productive passer in Stafford.

Former Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak also interviewed with the Lions.

Zimmer will have his second interview with the Minnesota Vikings on Tuesday and he is considered a frontrunner for that job, sources said.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Expectations are high in Detroit and it may be less so in Tennessee. Not to mention where would you rather live.
Maybe he does like Tenn, but there is a buttload of talent in Det.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Maybe he does like Tenn, but there is a buttload of talent in Det.
Yes but expectation levels will be extremely high and these are not "his" players. Sometimes the chemistry doesn't work out with some. He can build with Tennessee and surplant "his " players and will have a longer time to deliver because the Titan fans will not have the same immediate expectation levels. The Detroit job could become a precarious situation if they are not immediate winners.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Coaches should have high expectations. If you lose anywhere you are not long for an NFL coaching job.

D

Deuce

Who looks at what Tennessee is working with on O and takes that over Detroit?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Who looks at what Tennessee is working with on O and takes that over Detroit?
For real.

I guess Whisenhunt just doesn't want to live in Detroit.

Can't say I really blame him.

shane

DCC 4Life
That was honestly my only thought. That place sucks.
Sure does. Whisenhunt would have made too much sense for the Lions though. They'll bring in Caldwell and he'll do just well enough for 4-5 years to stick around until Calvin Johnson and Matt Stafford finally wise up and bolt before they become losers for their entire careers.

Top Bottom