28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Grrr.

Heads are rolling.

Grrr.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Claiborne replaced as starter, struggling with confidence but Cowboys are not ready to go with Webb

Cornerback Morris Claiborne is admittedly struggling. He has been replaced as the starter at right cornerback by Orlando Scandrick and is being repeatedly burned by opponents when he is in the game in the on passing downs when Scandrick moves to slot cornerback.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said the sixth overall pick in the 2012 draft has lost his confidence.

Garrett, however, the Cowboys are relying on Claiborne to get better and are not considering taking him off the field all together by inserting rookie B.W. Webb on the slot corner and using Scandrick as the outside cornerback on passing downs.

“We feel like the combination we had out there is the best combination, and if we thought otherwise we would make that change. But what he needs to do is just play better,” Garrett said. “He needs to play with the right technique and do it consistently over and over and over again.”

Clarence Hill

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys demanding accountability by taking players off the field; three starters have been replaced

The Cowboys have not been afraid to make lineup changes this season in an effort to but the best players on the field and demand accountability.

It started in the preseason when Cowboys coach Jason Garrett benched running back DeMarco Murray for a half after a fumble. The first four games have seen three difference players replaced in the starting lineup _ cornerback Morris Claiborne by Orlando Scandrick, safety Will Allen by J.J. Wilcox and guard Mackenzy Bernadeau by Brian Waters.

And last Sunday against the Chargers, linebacker Bruce Carter was benched in the second half after giving up two touchdown passes in pass coverage and losing confidence.

“I think we’ve always strived to make everybody feel accountable for what they’re doing around here and oftentimes competition allows you to do that better as a football coach and as a football staff,” Garrett said. “You look at the guys you have available to you and you make your best decision for your football team. And if you have guys who are competing for a spot and you can put the next guy in and he can be as good and maybe better than the guy who’s playing right now, you are more willing and able to do that. Hopefully the competition will bring out the best in both of those players who are competing for that spot and they’ll get better and you’ll consequently get better as a team.”

Clarence Hill

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You guys all said this is what you wanted. Remember back in Wade's day how it was a running joke that it was too comfortable, too much of a family atmosphere, that no veteran would ever lose his job?

Now it's happening quite a bit but no one wants to talk about it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Nothing worse than having a CB out there who has no confidence.

Webb may not be as physically gifted but I'm not worried about his mindset. That's why I say play him over Claiborne, especially aganist Manning and the Broncos.

The only way Claiborne is going to rebuild that confidence is by stringing together some good plays.

By the why, I seem to remember the Dallas media was hyping the hell out of Claiborne during training camp. You'd read their summaries of the day's practices/drills and they made it sound as if Claiborne had taken the next step. All the talk about how he was competing against Dez and holding his own sounds comical now.

1bigfan13

Staff member
You guys all said this is what you wanted. Remember back in Wade's day how it was a running joke that it was too comfortable, too much of a family atmosphere, that no veteran would ever lose his job?

I give Garrett and the staff credit for sitting players who aren't performing well. That still doesn't mean he's a good coach. When Garrett starts putting players in better position to succeed come talk to me.

Last night I saw Colston on LBs and San Diego exploited our LBs with small, speedy players. Gloat when Garrett starts doing stuff like that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm just saying, next time someone says "But Garrett isn't any different than Wade," maybe we should have a little perspective.

FWIW, I have yet to claim Garrett is a great coach. Every single one of these arguments stems from someone saying he is a BAD coach or about how he's doing something awful or how he never does anything good.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm just saying, next time someone says "But Garrett isn't any different than Wade," maybe we should have a little perspective.

FWIW, I have yet to claim Garrett is a great coach. Every single one of these arguments stems from someone saying he is a BAD coach or about how he's doing something awful or how he never does anything good.
I think Garrett is more confrontational. Neither of them are Parcells but I get the impression that Garrett is more inclined to call a player out in practice than Wade is.

So I agree with you in that regard.

They have different leadership styles. Wade is a lead by example guy. Garrett is too but he's more vocal than Wade.

dallen

Senior Tech

I think it is great

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I wonder why it has taken three years for this kind of stuff to happen. That's my question.
The only answer I can come up with is that Garrett is on the hot seat this year and he has to do everything he can to get the most out of these perpetual losers.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The only answer I can come up with is that Garrett is on the hot seat this year and he has to do everything he can to get the most out of these perpetual losers.
That is kind of the way I see it.

superpunk

Banned

Good post amigo.

instead, lolaccountability, circus, red something or other, jerry is a GM, broken record

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Nothing worse than having a CB out there who has no confidence.

Webb may not be as physically gifted but I'm not worried about his mindset. That's why I say play him over Claiborne, especially aganist Manning and the Broncos.

The only way Claiborne is going to rebuild that confidence is by stringing together some good plays.

By the why, I seem to remember the Dallas media was hyping the hell out of Claiborne during training camp. You'd read their summaries of the day's practices/drills and they made it sound as if Claiborne had taken the next step. All the talk about how he was competing against Dez and holding his own sounds comical now.
If you're worried about his confidence-- benching him entirely and putting Webb in his place is the worst thing you could do. There's a big difference between holding a young player accountable and crushing his spirit. Claiborne has been given a huge helping of humble pie-- now we start to see what kind of player he is.

The pressure of being taken #6 overall is off his shoulders-- everyone thinks he's a bust-- so he's hit rock bottom. IMO-- you want him on the field, but out of the spotlight. He has the athletic ability to make a play at any moment of any game-- he's just out of it mentally right now. Once he starts to make a couple of plays-- his confidence will only grow.

If you bench him-- he stagnates with no opportunity to pull himself out of the tail spin.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If you're worried about his confidence-- benching him entirely and putting Webb in his place is the worst thing you could do. There's a big difference between holding a young player accountable and crushing his spirit. Claiborne has been given a huge helping of humble pie-- now we start to see what kind of player he is.

The pressure of being taken #6 overall is off his shoulders-- everyone thinks he's a bust-- so he's hit rock bottom. IMO-- you want him on the field, but out of the spotlight. He has the athletic ability to make a play at any moment of any game-- he's just out of it mentally right now. Once he starts to make a couple of plays-- his confidence will only grow.

If you bench him-- he stagnates with no opportunity to pull himself out of the tail spin.
This is a very mild benching though. His injury was making him less and less of a "starter" to begin with.

I agree that demoting him to fourth string is a dumb move though.

1bigfan13

Staff member
This is a very mild benching though. His injury was making him less and less of a "starter" to begin with.

I agree that demoting him to fourth string is a dumb move though.
Not a dumb move......tough love.

Parcells would do it.

You don't want to compete? Then sit your ass down.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Dropping him to 4th CB is not a complete benching. In fact he'd still get plenty of playing time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not a dumb move......tough love.

Parcells would do it.

You don't want to compete? Then sit your ass down.
I don't think Parcells would demote a player like Claiborne below a guy who clearly isn't ready to be elevated to more responsibilities.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't think Parcells would demote a player like Claiborne below a guy who clearly isn't ready to be elevated to more responsibilities.
Right, Webb can't play either at this point, he's too green.

Demoting Claiborne doesn't mean you have to outright bench him. I'm sure the message will be heard moving him out of the starting defense.

I would not complain if they did move him down that far, but this is one of those areas I think is coach discretion.

Top Bottom