Chargers Stuff...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So I'm reading that this is McCarthy's fault because if he were a real coach he would have made Lawrence practice through a back surgery all offseason and then the player's foot wouldn't have broken?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We should be on the phone with Olivier Vernon. We're past week 1 so they don't have to worry about guaranteeing his contract if he doesn't pan out.
The fact he is still out there might mean he is nowhere near ready to play.

Right now, there's dogshit out there. Thanks to Goof Son, we didn't sniff the vet DE free agent market yet again and we could have had guys like Carriker or Ingram for next to nothing.

Expect an Adrian Clayborn signing soon.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You guys want a positive spin on this?

Yes, the pass rush will suck without Lawrence. But it sucked against Tampa and we still had every opportunity to win that game.

If we're going to be missing him for 6 or 8 weeks, this is the spot in the schedule you want for it.

If he's out for the season, keep in mind we had a good playoff team (and probably should have reached at least the conference championship) not too long ago with George Selvie as basically our best pass rusher.
They're going to have to manufacture a pass rush like they did in 2016 when Lawrence missed half the season, was largely ineffective when he did play, and their top pass rushers were Benson Mayowa, Maliek Collins, Tyrone Crawford, David Irving and Jack Crawford who combined for a whopping 23 combined sacks.

That year they went with a bunch of 3 man lines in nickel/dime and blitzed the LB's from different angles, that's what they'll have to do while Lawrence is out. Instead of just handing snaps to someone like Golston or Kamara, play LVE more heavily.

Call up Justin Hamilton from the PS and in base packages go with heavy alignments focused on stopping the run with guys like Osa/Urban/Watkins/Gallimore/Hamilton playing your 3 "down" linemen. Have Parsons line up more stacked at the LOS with LVE/Neal off the ball and Basham/Armstrong on the other side so you can keep Gregory fresh for pass rushing downs. I'm not saying never play Gregory in base, but try to preserve him for nickel/dime.

In nickel/dime you always have Gregory coming off one edge with Armstrong/Basham/Anae rotating at the other spot, Osa/Gallimore/Watkins rotating as the lone interior rusher, and Parsons/LVE/Neal roaming around, with one of Parsons/Neal in particular almost always coming on a blitz.

Long story short, I'm saying get your best players on the field, play LVE more and try to sow confusion by bringing Parsons/Neal on blitzes from different angles while using Basham/Armstrong to absorb run downs to preserve Gregory.

It'll take some creativity but it can be done. And by "it" I mean having a simply bad to average defense/pass rush instead of literally the worst in the league.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm convinced even if the Cowboys drafted Watt he wouldn't be the TJ Watt we see today. The Cowboys would find a way to coach the playmaking out of him and turn him into a 4 sack a year DE. Developing quality DEs just ain't our thing.
This is probably correct.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Meh, I'm still pretty optimistic about things. They just played a much better game than most of us expected against one of the best teams in the league, if not the best. And I don't think losing Lawrence for half the year means everything is sunk.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You all have no idea how badass Golston is going to be. You'll forget Lawrence even exists.
All joking aside, I can't wait to see him play. Just hope missing the whole preseason didn't set him back too far, which in fairness it might have. But I think at some point he'll contribute.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All joking aside, I can't wait to see him play. Just hope missing the whole preseason didn't set him back too far, which in fairness it might have. But I think at some point he'll contribute.
Yeah all joking aside I think he will be a solid LE type. I was bummed he missed all preseason. I think we did good with our Dline picks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They're going to have to manufacture a pass rush like they did in 2016 when Lawrence missed half the season, was largely ineffective when he did play, and their top pass rushers were Benson Mayowa, Maliek Collins, Tyrone Crawford, David Irving and Jack Crawford who combined for a whopping 23 combined sacks.

That year they went with a bunch of 3 man lines in nickel/dime and blitzed the LB's from different angles, that's what they'll have to do while Lawrence is out. Instead of just handing snaps to someone like Golston or Kamara, play LVE more heavily.

Call up Justin Hamilton from the PS and in base packages go with heavy alignments focused on stopping the run with guys like Osa/Urban/Watkins/Gallimore/Hamilton playing your 3 "down" linemen. Have Parsons line up more stacked at the LOS with LVE/Neal off the ball and Basham/Armstrong on the other side so you can keep Gregory fresh for pass rushing downs. I'm not saying never play Gregory in base, but try to preserve him for nickel/dime.

In nickel/dime you always have Gregory coming off one edge with Armstrong/Basham/Anae rotating at the other spot, Osa/Gallimore/Watkins rotating as the lone interior rusher, and Parsons/LVE/Neal roaming around, with one of Parsons/Neal in particular almost always coming on a blitz.

Long story short, I'm saying get your best players on the field, play LVE more and try to sow confusion by bringing Parsons/Neal on blitzes from different angles while using Basham/Armstrong to absorb run downs to preserve Gregory.

It'll take some creativity but it can be done. And by "it" I mean having a simply bad to average defense/pass rush instead of literally the worst in the league.
Simp...I love ya.

But damn. You are way more committed than I am in trying to find a way out of this.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Your plan sucks, you never once mentioned Golston...
He can rotate in to play the run on base downs for like 4 plays a game. I'd be shocked if he could give us anything at this point in the season after missing all of preseason, maybe in a month.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I like the idea of going heavy jumbo 3-4 on the line and then playing a bunch of LB dogs. Better than watching us ineffectively do nothing on passing downs like last week

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Gallimore's not back for a couple more weeks yet, right?

Top Bottom