Cam Newton signs with the Patriots

Foobio

DCC 4Life

Cam Newton’s contract will pay him up to $7.5 million
Posted by Charean Williams on June 28, 2020, 8:46 PM EDT

Cam Newton really, really, really wanted to play for Bill Belichick and the Patriots. How do we know?

The quarterback agreed to a one-year deal worth up to $7.5 million, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports.

That isn’t his base salary. That’s the maximum value of the deal.

So if Newton makes the full value of the deal, which would mean he had a really good season and earned all his incentives, he would rank 27th among quarterbacks, according to overthecap.com.

But if Newton does that, then he should find a healthy free agent market and a big long-term deal in 2021. So instead of waiting for a better offer perhaps from a team that loses its quarterback to an injury, Newton opted to bet on himself.

If Newton is healthy, he should rank as the favorite to win the starting job over Jarrett Stidhamand Brian Hoyer. Newton is a former league MVP, has led a team to a Super Bowl and has 124 career starts with a 68-55-1 record.

Stidham, of course, has never started a game and attempted only four passes as a rookie. Hoyer, 34, is a career journeyman, who has a 16-22 record in 38 career starts and has not won a game as a starting quarterback since 2016.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Signing him means he’s healthy, I would think. He’s 31ish, 4-5 years removed from league mvp, he’s been hurt a lot, who knows.

I think there were probably better fits for him, but maybe he’s still good enough to be able to be successful with a less than stellar WR corps?

I could see it working because it’s New England. I could see it blowing up in their face because Cam has shown he has a bad attitude when things don’t go his way.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
As far as need goes, this is a fit. I just don't see Cam fitting into the style of offense Belicheck runs.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Wow.

'Up to $7.5 million'?

Those numbers smack of desperation and having NO MARKET whatsoever for his services.

Not to turn this into another 'DakFest', but seeing numbers like that for a competent, veteran quarterback does make you wonder if doling out $35 million a year for a younger player is the smartest move.

Right or wrong, the NFL seems to think that Newton must be done.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think Belichick would enjoy running a Cam-tailored offense. As much as he hated it beating him, he seemed to enjoy that year the Dolphins did so well with the Wildcat, which as he pointed out was basically just the single wing. Nothing new under the sun and all that.

I just can't see Cam's personality fitting. Maybe he's been humbled a little and will change, who knows. But BB was famous for chewing out Brady like he was a backup TE, and I can't see Cam going for that.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Signing him means he’s healthy, I would think. He’s 31ish, 4-5 years removed from league mvp, he’s been hurt a lot, who knows.

I think there were probably better fits for him, but maybe he’s still good enough to be able to be successful with a less than stellar WR corps?

I could see it working because it’s New England. I could see it blowing up in their face because Cam has shown he has a bad attitude when things don’t go his way.
it will be interesting to see if Cam complies with Belichicks philosophy of "talking" to the press

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Will Cam still run around the field before games pretending to be an airplane?

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As far as need goes, this is a fit. I just don't see Cam fitting into the style of offense Belicheck runs.
It is more McDaniels' offense.

It is easy to see him dust off the playbook he had with Tim Tebow and roll it with Newton.

Cotton

Staff member
It is more McDaniels' offense.

It is easy to see him dust off the playbook he had with Tim Tebow and roll it with Newton.
That's true. I hadn't even thought about that.

Top Bottom