Cam Newton: "I'm a Falcons fan"

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
NFL.com
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: July 15, 2013

Cam Newton can't even pretend. He's still an Atlanta kid at his core.

"It's always a heavily critiqued game," Newton said of the Falcons-Panthers divisional matchup. "I've always been a Falcons fan, and I'm still a Falcons fan except for those two times a year.

Overwrought Carolina Panthers fans might take issue with the quarterback's comments, but Newton is just being honest. Fans should understand better than anyone that your childhood team is your team for life. It shows that Newton actually is an NFL fan, unlike a lot of players.

--------------------------------------------------------

I actually don't have a problem with this. I don't expect these guys to be able to turn off 20+ years of fandom just because they were drafted by another team.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Neither do I so long as they don't mention it all the time. I don't think, however, that they should be wearing another team's logo when they're getting paid millions by their own team, a la CK.

midswat

... soon
I've heard Panthers fans at the stadium are almost as dickish as Eagles fans.

So Cam'll get a lot of heat should the Falcons ever beat them in Charlotte each year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I've heard Panthers fans at the stadium are almost as dickish as Eagles fans.

So Cam'll get a lot of heat should the Falcons ever beat them in Charlotte each year.
Hardly. I have been to several Panther games. They weren't pissing in sinks or any of the other nonsense you hear about Eagles fans.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I wouldn't like this at all. Either drop your allegiance (it's part of being a professional IMO) or shut up about it. Nothing good comes out of him saying that. Anytime he struggles in a game against the Falcons, right or wrong people will wonder if he was influenced by his allegiance.

If Romo said he was an Eagles fan or something I would have a problem with it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We know Romo was a Packers fan growing up. But yeah, if he still had those allegiances when he came into the NFL, he either dropped them, or stopped talking about them.

I'm not sure I could give up being a Cowboys fan, but I don't think most fans are as hardcore as we are on this board, and for the average person I think dropping it would be easier for them than for us.

If Cam is one of the few that is real hardcore and can't stop loving the Falcons, yeah, he should limit his remarks to "I grew up a Falcons fan but I'm all Panthers now!"

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I probably wouldn't give up being a Cowboys fan but if someone was paying me millions of dollars to play for them I would have the good sense to shut up about it. However, this kind of thing is overblown. Competitors are competitors. Newton or any other player isn't going to try and beat a team any less because they were or are a lifelong fan. A few dumbasses in the stands may not think so but if it isn't something like this those same idiots would devise some other conspiracy to explain a player's shortcomings.

data

Forbes #1
Carry a Samsung phone to your workplace at Apple.

Top Bottom