Calvin’s Cowboys Notes: Sean Lee braces for the end, Trysten Hill acclimates and the Cowboys’ most-improved receiver

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1][/h]

By Calvin Watkins 3h ago

The end is near for Sean Lee, but it’s not here yet. After discussions with his family, Lee decided it was worth coming back for a 10th season with the only team he’s ever known. He even took a pay cut to make it happen.

Lee, 32, decided to play because he brings so much to the Cowboys in terms of leadership and playmaking. Whether Lee can finish a season healthy is a question. When the two-time Pro Bowler is on the field, good things tend to happen for the Cowboys. But, as is well documented, staying on the field is an issue. Lee has never played a full 16-game season, although he did appear in 15 games in 2016 and was a healthy scratch in the regular-season finale. The majority of his time with the Cowboys been injury-marred, whether it be recurring hamstring issues or missing the entire 2014 campaign with a torn ACL.

So Lee cherishes his time on the football field with childlike joy. He loves joking around with his teammates in the locker room, teaching in the linebacker meetings and chirping at officials during offseason practices. As Lee was talking with reporters Wednesday about how long he’ll play, 25-year-old Dak Prescott chimed in about how Lee is bad at golf. Lee didn’t argue the point but made sure to fire back that he’s beaten Prescott in basketball. These are the moments that keep him around.

He’s trying to savor them even more now that his time is running out. Lee knows he’s a year-to-year guy as NFL teams continue to get younger.

“I think it’s more your focus in on the day-to-day and try to keep that in the microscopic view,” said Lee, the third-oldest player on the roster. “Thinking long-term at this time is something you don’t really want to do. You’re on the back end of your career, focus on day-to-day, focus on how lucky you are to be here and try to take advantage of every single moment and just understand you have a great team around you. Let’s go do this. I come to practice feeling like a kid. I like being here.”

Lee’s role has changed again. When he was drafted in 2010, the Cowboys wanted him to play strongside linebacker, but he eventually shifted to the weakside after his health betrayed him. The objective was to allow him to make plays without the threat of a 300-plus pound lineman charging after him.

His body still gave him problems, and now he’s been supplanted by Leighton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith. Smith calls the defensive signals, something Lee once did, and Vander Esch joins Smith as an every-down linebacker.

Lee returned to strongside linebacker this offseason. It’s a spot that won’t be occupied very often. NFL offenses now utilize three and four receivers, or three receivers and a tight end. Running backs run wheel routes or line up in the slot to create defensive problems. That means more snaps in the nickel defense, where Lee no longer has a role. He’ll play in the base three-linebacker looks and be ready when asked to take over.

This is reality as Lee’s career enters its tenth year. It could be his last, and if it is, he’s going to go out having a blast.

“It’s gone too fast,” Lee said. “It’s been a dream come true. I’m just so blessed to be a part of this organization, the tradition they have to play beside some incredible football players. Lucky to have a lot of faith put in me from the Joneses, (who) stuck with me through a lot of injuries and tough times. The ultimate goal is to be able to create change every time. I was hoping by now we’d have (a title), but every time we step in here, it’s a blessing and it’s so much fun. I feel like a rookie half the time I walk into it.” [HR][/HR]
Cowboys wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal called Reggie Davis the most improved receiver on the team. That begs the question, who is Reggie Davis?

Davis spent time on the Cowboys practice squad last year, learning the playbook and trying to gain weight. Davis is listed at 5-foot-11 and 170 pounds, and he’s gotten work with the first- and second-team offenses during the first three weeks of the organized team activities. He caught a touchdown pass from Prescott on Wednesday and continues to make plays from different parts of the line of scrimmage. Speed is his calling card, and a particularly valuable one given that the Cowboys will better utilize it as part of the offense this year. Lal said the Cowboys want Prescott to throw more deep balls to open the field while underneath routes will go to Randall Cobb and Davis, who will use their legs to create problems for defenses.

“He’s probably understanding how to use his speed,” Lal said. “So he’s always been fast but (learning) how to truly use it how to stop better, how to set up DBs. He’s doing a great job, and he’s finishing plays with catches.”

Davis went undrafted out of Georgia in 2017 mainly because of his size, but his speed intrigued NFL personnel people. At his pro day, Davis was hand-timed anywhere from 4.25 to 4.35 in the 40-yard dash, and said he ran an electronically timed 4.29 40-yard dash while training for the event. His time in the NFL has been well-traveled, going from Atlanta to Cleveland, then back to Atlanta before winding up in Philadelphia between the 2017 and start of the 2018 seasons. He spent almost two months out of football before the Cowboys signed him to their practice squad last November.

Now, after an offseason of hunkering down and studying the Dallas playbook, Davis’ speed and improved utilization of it may play him onto the Cowboys roster. The Cowboys are not top-heavy at wide receiver. As it stands, Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and Randall Cobb are the favorites to make the 53-man roster. Players like Davis can have an impact to make things interesting.

“Being this small, you got to have something,” Davis said. [HR][/HR]
It’s very early in the process, but rookie defensive tackle Trysten Hill, the Cowboys’ second-round pick, is establishing his pass rush moves and asking plenty of questions. The result is plenty of reps with the first- and second-team defenses as Dallas works through some health issues along the defensive line.

“He’s a constant worker,” assistant defensive line coach Andre Gurode said. “He works hard to try and perfect his craft, and he’s constantly asking questions to make sure he has the right understanding of what is done.”

Coaches are slow to praise linemen this early because nobody has shoulder pads on in June. They instead look for effort, high football IQ and whether the techniques they teach are properly applied.

Hill was going up against center Adam Redmond for the majority of Wednesday’s OTA, with Travis Frederick and Joe Looney getting a day off. The bigger tests for Hill will come when the Cowboys get to Oxnard, Calif., for training camp practices. As of now, he is being evaluated against a third-team center. So far, so good.

“He already knows what he’s doing,” Gurode said. “He wants to understand the why. ‘What’s the counter move?’ He’s thinking three or four questions ahead to make sure he knows what’s going on.” [HR][/HR]
Running back Ezekiel Elliott hasn’t spoken to reporters since he was detained last month by Las Vegas police for an incident involving a security guard. Elliott pushed a security guard to the ground while attending a music festival. While the incident in Las Vegas is considered minor, team officials did speak with Elliott.

“We’ve talked about it,” running back coach Gary Brown said. “He understands, ‘I can’t put myself in those positions. I got to be smarter.’ He already knows that he may have done something that wasn’t right. He’s got to move forward. We all make mistakes.”

The NFL looks into all incidents involving players, but Jerry Jones said he isn’t expecting Elliott to be suspended for the incident. The team could, however, use it as leverage against their starting running back during contract talks. Elliott is signed through 2020 and is looking for an extension. Team officials are open the idea in principle, and Stephen Jones has pointed to the Los Angeles Rams’ running back Todd Gurley’s $45 million in guarantees as a good starting point.

Team officials, publicly and privately, are not concerned about Elliott’s behavior. They have praised Elliott’s work ethic this offseason and believe he’s become more of a leader. Rookie running back Tony Pollard, meanwhile, said Elliott hosts cookouts at his home to build chemistry. Ultimately, the Cowboys just want Elliott to make better choices. And the questions about his conduct away from the field must be addressed when it comes to giving him a new contract. [HR][/HR]
George Iloka is on the second-team defense at strong safety behind Jeff Heath. Iloka has played both safety positions in his NFL career, and he’s gaining a comfort level with the Cowboys’ defense. But Iloka has yet to make a play on the ball in three OTA practices open to the media. In comparison, rookie strong safety Donovan Wilson scooped up a fumble and took it for a touchdown during Wednesday’s open session.

“I know the defense,” Iloka said. “It’s just getting to the point of where you’re not thinking and just reacting. It’s a process. I like where I’m at right now.”

The Cowboys sought upgrades this offseason at the strong safety position without paying big money. That led them to sign Iloka, who had spent his entire career with Cincinnati and arrived in Dallas on a one-year deal in search of a role.

“I came here because (Dallas) gave me an opportunity,” Iloka said. “This is a different scheme from what I played in first seven years of my career, and I just wanted to get in this system first and foremost because it’s a different way how they use the strong safety position.”

According to Iloka, the main change is the depth of where he lines up. The Bengals played him 20 yards upfield, much deeper than the average strong safety but something that suited his ranginess. Dallas, however, wants him to use his physicality and play more run defense.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Cliff notes:

1. Lee/old/hurt.

2. Hill is abusing 3rd team center. And always asks questions.

3. Most improved WR is Arnold from the Dollar General.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cliff notes:

1. Lee/old/hurt.

2. Hill is abusing 3rd team center. And always asks questions.

3. Most improved WR is Arnold from the Dollar General.
We are definitely smack dab in the middle of fluff piece season.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This article says that Andre Gurode is an assistant D line coach. Is that a typo? Surely it is. He played O line as we all know .

Top Bottom