Broncos Stuff...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'd like to see Switzer get some time at WR.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Lewis plays there's no reason to play Scandrick, let him rest for a week or two and then roll him out.

In other news Leary is apparently out for the Broncos with a concussion so there's that.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
In other news Leary is apparently out for the Broncos with a concussion so there's that.
Our DL should get a confidence boost this week.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Williams is going to be very limited sounds like.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member

data

Forbes #1
I wonder what's the success of running vOn Miller. Start the game with repetitive rushes at Von and physically wear him out before the 2nd half.

Cotton

Staff member
I wonder what's the success of running vOn Miller. Start the game with repetitive rushes at Von and physically wear him out before the 2nd half.
Well, he is a much better pass rusher than run stopper, and rumor has it the Cowboys will lean heavy on the run this game, so...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The reason I mentioned the empty backfield is Von Miller.

Empty means he can turn on the jets and ignore the run. That's a fraction of a second difference that I know Tyron and Lael will appreciate.

Cotton

Staff member
The reason I mentioned the empty backfield is Von Miller.

Empty means he can turn on the jets and ignore the run. That's a fraction of a second difference that I know Tyron and Lael will appreciate.
That can be negated with playcalling/adjustments by Dak and the receivers. Quicker passes, etc. If he comes full bore, he will leave part of the middle of the field open and Beasley could very well have a field day on quick slants.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That can be negated with playcalling/adjustments by Dak and the receivers. Quicker passes, etc. If he comes full bore, he will leave part of the middle of the field open and Beasley could very well have a field day on quick slants.
Yeah usually when we go empty backfield it is still with 11 personnel on the field. Meaning Witten and Zeke are often lined up out there ready for a quick pass. We saw one play were we tried to use that to get Zeke the ball in space. Most of our empty backfield stuff is designed for a quick pass. It's just a different way of running the ball in some ways.

Well, he is a much better pass rusher than run stopper, and rumor has it the Cowboys will lean heavy on the run this game, so...
:laff Did you forget that Jason Garrett is the head coach?? There will be 3 rushes to 60 passes.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Definitely true, but if all you're going to get is a quick slant to Beasely then why bother spreading the field? You can hit Beasely all day from any formation.

Worse, there's no one to chip Miller when you are 5-wide, so it's all on Collins or Smith to stop him.

I see these as risky plays.

Better to play from a balanced look and give Witten time to work the middle. That's when we're at our best and everything opens up. It forces rushers to read the play. We burned a similarly good Seattle defense with this approach in 2014 and if it wasn't for some unlucky turnovers we'd have blown them out.

Cotton

Staff member
Definitely true, but if all you're going to get is a quick slant to Beasely then why bother spreading the field? You can hit Beasely all day from any formation.

Worse, there's no one to chip Miller when you are 5-wide, so it's all on Collins or Smith to stop him.

Better to play from a balanced look and give Witten time to work the middle. That's when we're at our best and everything opens up. It forces rushers to read the play. We burned a similarly good Seattle defense with this approach in 2014 and if it wasn't for some unlucky turnovers we'd have blown them out.
The point of the quick slants isn't to get the ball to Beasley every play, it's to make Von Miller back the fuck off.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Agreed, against a team like Denver you can use 5-wide sparingly but if we're in it 25% of the time then you'll know Linehan and Garrett have gone off the deep end.

The strength of the Broncos are their edge rushers and corners, going 5-wide magnifies those strengths, pounding them with the run attacks their weaknesses, namely their weak ass DL outside of Wolfe.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:laff Did you forget that Jason Garrett is the head coach?? There will be 3 rushes to 60 passes.
Did you forget all the times in the last 3 years that we've had a much more run-heavy gameplan than pass heavy?

Or does that just not fit your agenda?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you forget all the times in the last 3 years that we've had a much more run-heavy gameplan than pass heavy?

Yeah we are one of the most run heavy teams in the NFL. It's just that in todays NFL a 50/50 split is considered extremely run heavy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

There are plenty of games where we run the ball plenty, but there aren't enough instances early or in the middle of games where we really try to impose our will.

If also frustrates me that we don't call consecutive run plays all that often.

It seems like we usually wait until late in the 4th to see either of those things happen. I like that we're trying to close out the game the right way, but I wish we'd be more adamant about establishing that physicality early on.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There are plenty of games where we run the ball plenty, but there aren't enough instances early or in the middle of games where we really try to impose our will.
I don't agree with that.

If also frustrates me that we don't call consecutive run plays all that often.
What percentage would often be, and how often do we do it?

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom