Broaddus: Not signing DeMarcus Lawrence shows the disappointing reality of the Cowboys' offseason

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He has been the last 2 years.
I think so, too. Blocking schemes are rolled his way, and he still gets pressure. It's pretty rare he's singled up.

On top of that, I can't think of another DE that plays the run as well as he does while still providing a strong pass rush.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Is Trey Flowers elite? Dee Ford?

It's the going rate for very good pass rushers these days so the choices are pay him or trade him.

I mean, I don't think Lawrence necessarily deserves 20 AAV but that's the going rate and I'd rather pay him that than let him walk. Now, I draw the line at the AAV Mack/Donald are getting and at that point I'm looking to move him. It's just a matter of where you draw the line.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Is Trey Flowers elite? Dee Ford?

It's the going rate for very good pass rushers these days so the choices are pay him or trade him.

I mean, I don't think Lawrence necessarily deserves 20 AAV but that's the going rate and I'd rather pay him that than let him walk. Now, I draw the line at the AAV Mack/Donald are getting and at that point I'm looking to move him. It's just a matter of where you draw the line.
Honestly that's a bad situation to get into though. Look at the teams that gave out those contracts. They haven't been successful much lately and aren't generally well run. By contrast, the original teams that decided not to pay those two players are two of the best teams in the league.

If Taco and Gregory were available and playing to their pedigrees, our best move would probably be to tag and trade Lawrence.

Unfortunately instead we're in a no win situation. Pretty much all of our options are the wrong decision. If we dump him we have zero pass rush. If we pay him we'll probably have to way overpay him and screw up our cap.

Given that, I'd probably just bite the bullet and overpay him (within reason). Right now I don't think we can win without him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, I just read that Tank is asking for 22.5 per. What say ye? Sign him for 22 mill per, or hold firm at 20 per?

p1_

DCC 4Life
this cant be stalled over 2.5 mil. Theres more to the story.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys offer DeMarcus Lawrence average salary of $20 million, but his sights are set higher

By Calvin Watkins 3h ago

PHOENIX​ —​ Stephen Jones was​ honest about contract talks between​ the Cowboys and their best defensive player, DeMarcus Lawrence:​​ A deal is nowhere close to done.

“Right now, the best way to describe it is we’re at an impasse,” Jones said Tuesday afternoon from the NFL owners meetings. “We’re apart. But certainly optimistic. No one thinks more of DeMarcus Lawrence than we do. He represents what we want on our football team, in terms of the way he plays the game. He certainly plays it at a high level. We’ll continue to chop wood.”

The gap between the sides continues to widen. According to multiple sources, Lawrence’s demands increased in the last few weeks. He went from asking for an average salary of $20 million per season to $22.5 million. Last month, the Cowboys were unwilling to give Lawrence a $20 million average, but have since increased their offer to that point. Sources indicate the Cowboys are willing to give Lawrence a six-year contract that would make him the highest-paid 4-3 defensive end in the NFL with an average salary of $20 million. Lawrence, according to sources, is seeking more.

As it stands, Lawrence is already the highest-paid 4-3 defensive end in the NFL. He was franchised at $20.5 million, so if nothing else, he’ll get a hefty 2019 salary. But Lawrence, who was franchised last season, doesn’t want to play under the tag again. So he’ll delay his shoulder surgery and won’t report to training camp until he gets a new contract.

“We’re going to continue to try to move the ball forward and see if there is some common ground we can find,” Jones said. “I’m certainly not going to draw any lines in the sand, and we haven’t. No bright lines so far. We’ve just been apart. Hopefully, we can continue to come up with some creative ways to maybe create some common ground.”

Solving contract issues is nothing new for the Cowboys, particularly with high-profile players.

In 1993, Emmitt Smith held out for the first two games of the season before coming to terms with the team. Smith wanted to become the league’s highest-paid running back and the Cowboys eventually did their part, signing him to a four-year, $13.6 million deal.

“This has gone on as far back for me, notably, with Emmitt Smith,” Jerry Jones said. “Any of you know my relationship with Emmitt Smith today know that’s a memory we smile about the way we are, 20-something years later and we’re in business together. That’s just part of the business. The main thing, and I don’t want to be cavalier, this is a significant thing for not only our franchise but DeMarcus’ life. It would make anyone be very, very judicious as they are working through the terms of this agreement.”

In 2015, the Cowboys placed the franchise tag on wide receiver Dez Bryant for $12.8 million. The team had until July 15 of that year to reach a deal with Bryant, and there was concern, much like with Lawrence, about whether something could be worked out. Bryant and the Cowboys solved their problems to the tune of a five-year, $70 million contract with $45 million guaranteed.

The Cowboys were able to get Bryant’s deal done before the July 15 deadline and are confident they can accomplish something now with Lawrence.

“We’re motivated to do it right now,” Stephen Jones said. “We were motivated to do it before we put the tag on him. At the same time, we have some conviction of the range he should be in, in terms of his compensation and I’m sure they have some conviction of what they’re asking for. I’m not being critical, but therein lies the root of the negotiations.”

Both sides are currently frustrated.

Lawrence’s perspective is easy to comprehend. He was franchised last season at $17.5 million and played without any complaints. He earned a Pro Bowl berth in 2018, doing it with a partially torn labrum. Lawrence said he would need surgery, but wanted to prove his commitment to the club by playing through the injury.

Lawrence believes his contract should fall somewhere between that of the Bears’ Khalil Mack ($141 million in total compensation) and the Broncos’ Von Miller ($114.5 million in total compensation). Mack signed his deal last year after he was traded from the Raiders, while Miller got his in 2016. Mack’s average salary is $23.5 million, and Miller’s is $19.08 million.

That’s roughly a $4 million gap in terms of average salary, but that gap is a significant one and neither side is prepared to compromise right now. What’s also moving in Lawrence’s favor is that the Lions signed Trey Flowers to a five-year, $90 million contract with an average salary of $18 million and $56 million in guarantees.

Lawrence’s agents believe he’s better than Flowers, and the Cowboys probably agree. The numbers back that up; Flowers set his career high in sacks (7.5) and tackles for loss (9) in 2018. Lawrence had 10.5 sacks and 15 tackles for loss last season, and an even better 2017. Flowers’ salary has pushed the price for Lawrence’s services up. That doesn’t bother the Cowboys, who understand this is a business.

It would appear Lawrence has the leverage in these talks. The Cowboys need Lawrence because their defensive line is in shambles. Lawrence is the only proven pass-rusher active on the roster.

Randy Gregory, the second-best pass-rusher on the team, is suspended for a violation of the league’s substance abuse policy. Gregory’s reinstatement is uncertain, and given his struggles with substance abuse and mental issues, it’s unknown when he’ll apply for reinstatement. Stephen Jones said Gregory is getting better but wouldn’t speculate about if and when he tries a return to the NFL.

2017 first-round pick Taco Charlton has struggled in his two NFL seasons. Jerry Jones quoted late Cowboys coach Tom Landry in saying the third year is when you can truly evaluate a lineman.

Dorance Armstrong enters his second year as a pass-rushing defensive end. The Cowboys are showing patience and believe he’ll develop.

Most of the other linemen are interior players with the flexibility to line up at end. Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli traditionally rotates his linemen, but he’s only able to achieve this successfully because of an elite pass-rusher creating problems off the edge.

Marinelli has one in Dallas, but if these contract negotiations drag on, he’s going to need someone else to take care of business.

Which brings the Cowboys to trade talks with Miami to acquire defensive end Robert Quinn. Miami is trying to reduce salaries and obtain draft picks to go with a younger roster. The Dolphins allowed Quinn to visit The Star in Frisco last week, with the hopes of securing a trade. Quinn had two issues going against him: He suffered from back issues in the 2018 season, and his 2019 base salary of $11.1 million limited trade interest. A source said the Cowboys’ doctors gave Quinn a 3-grade, which means he passed his physical but the staff was concerned about his long-term health.

In order to move trade talks along, the Dolphins would have to absorb some of Quinn’s base salary and the Cowboys must be willing to give up a mid-round draft pick.

Quinn has met with Dallas and New Orleans in the last week, and his status won’t be settled until later in the summer. If Lawrence is absent from offseason workouts — which is expected until he signs a new contract — the Cowboys’ desperation might grow.

“Historically, we’ve been able to sign our players,” said Stephen Jones, who noted he’s not too concerned. “We’ll see. It’s a negotiation. Those things can take time. At the same time, we’re motivated to get something done, and hopefully at some point we’ll get some momentum going.”

What works in the Cowboys’ favor is the upcoming NFL draft.

With their first-round selection in Oakland’s possession due to the Amari Cooper trade, the Cowboys have six picks overall. Stephen Jones likes what he sees at a position in which the Cowboys need reinforcements.

“We think it’s the deepest position in this draft, which works out good for us,” Jones said of the 2018 class of defensive linemen. “We think it’s deeper than it’s been in many years.”

In Dane Brugler’s rankings of the Top 100 players, there are 14 defensive linemen in the top 50. Of those 14 players, nine are edge rushers.

It’s no secret the Cowboys might add a lineman with their second-round pick, No. 58 overall, or with their third rounder, 90th overall.

The need is strong, whether they have Lawrence on the field or not.

“I think we’ve got work to do there,” Stephen Jones said. “As I said, we’re not finished yet. We have some things in the mix we’re working on that may address that situation. We’ll just see how those proceed. Certainly, you’re trying to not assume that you will not have anybody that is not ready to go. I think that’s the way we’re proceeding now in terms of what we’re looking at and trying to get some other things done.”

Lawrence is at the forefront of the Cowboys’ priorities. The leverage is on his side, given the front office’s concerns about their defensive line. The Cowboys do have a history of getting deals done with high-profile players.

The clock is ticking but far from expiring.

“I still think defensive line is one we will continue to look at,” Stephen Jones said. “I think you look at our losses there with (David) Irving. Certainly, Randy Gregory is a question mark. He is doing all the right things, so hopefully, he can be reinstated and can help us. We will need to continue to beef up that defensive line. I would still categorize that as our No. 1 need.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Wow.

If this is true, then Dallas has given him a more than generous offer.

With these details, it seems he is being completely unreasonable.

J.J. Watt doesn't get that. Trey Flowers just got $18M.

I am going the trade route right now if this is the "impasse" they are at. Get what you can for him, try to get a first or even second this year.

If not, I work the Quinn trade, let him rot on the tag. No way I rescind it and allow him to leave for nothing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree, 6/120 with a reasonable amount of guaranteed money (60-65?) is more than fair and if he's trying to put the screws to the front office by demanding 22+ then I'd aggressively look for a trade partner. Ultimately 2.5 a year is nothing in the grand scheme of Lawrence or Jerry's financials, but it could definitely make a difference in terms of team building so I'm on the side of the front office.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't even care about the short term effects of moving Lawrence honestly since it seems likely that Garrett may finally be out the door after 2019. I'd think hard about moving him for a high 2nd this year and a 2nd next year, partially with the idea that 2019 is a year that can be sacrificed for the long-term.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't even care about the short term effects of moving Lawrence honestly since it seems likely that Garrett may finally be out the door after 2019. I'd think hard about moving him for a high 2nd this year and a 2nd next year, partially with the idea that 2019 is a year that can be sacrificed for the long-term.
True. The ultimate give up move is just pulling the tag and saying "well, at least we get the 2020 comp pick".

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not convinced you can't get a first and change for this guy.

You can't? Says who?

This is a guy with 24 sacks the last two years.

Someone wants him.

Maybe not a first and second.

FIrst and third? First this year and second next year? Something like that.

Assets are more important than immediacy. We want a long burn as a competing team; if that's true, get the best assets over time, not the best assets THIS YEAR.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Asking for 22.5 AAV is straight up bullshit, unless we're only offering like 50 guaranteed. If we're offering 6/120 with about 70 guaranteed he needs to fuck off.

Top Bottom