Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys Mulling Options With Tuesday Workout Participants

Posted 22 minutes ago

Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas
-- As reported by Nick Eatman on DallasCowboys.com, the front office took the opportunity to look at some players this morning – namely, quarterback and wide receiver.

The group was led by quarterbacks Alex Tanney and Chase Clement, who were joined by wide receivers DeWayne Pearce and Lavasier Tuinei in a workout for quarterback coach Wade Wilson and the scouts.

It’s not likely the front office would make a move at this point at either position, but that is not to say that something won’t be done in the near future or once the team reports to training camp.

The goal of the workout was to try and locate a backup quarterback that might be a better fit thanNick Stephens and Dalton Williams, who had their share of issues during the OTA’s and minicamp practices.

What concerns the front office is that if the quarterback play behind Tony Romo and Kyle Ortonstruggles, then the evaluation of the other young offensive players like Terrence Williams,Danny Coale and Gavin Escobar will also struggle.

This is why teams like to carry a veteran signal caller in the preseason -- just to run the offense during the games so things don’t bog down, leading to too many three-and-outs. You need to give your other young players a chance to show what they can do as you build the 53-man roster.

I totally understand the approach that the front office has taken here to have a plan in place just in case things don’t work out in camp. Bring these quarterbacks in, let them work out for Wilson and the scouts, put them in a room and see where their football intelligence is.

Not only have you seen where they are physically, but mentally as well. It’s a smart move for the simple fact that once in camp, you cannot waste time. Poor quarterback play by your down-the-line guys would be just that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Whotta bunch of shit. And not a DL among them. WTF.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys Taking Look At 3 QBs, 5 WRs In Tuesday Workout

Posted 4 hours ago

Nick Eatman DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

With the Cowboys camp roster currently sitting at 89 players, one short of the maximum of 90, the front office took the opportunity to kick the tires on some potential players to add before the club leaves for California on Friday.

It appears the Cowboys are trying to hunt for a better option at quarterback for camp and to play in the preseason games than Nick Stephens or Dalton Williams. This is the time of year to evaluate players and poor quarterback play often hurts that opportunity. To look at these quarterbacks, you have to have someone to throw the ball to and this is where these receivers come into play.

The makeup of the workout group was three quarterbacks and five wide receivers, including former SMU quarterback, Kyle Padron and wide receiver DeWayne Peace who just recently was part of the NFL Supplemental Draft last week.

Here is the complete list:

Kyle Padron QB Eastern Washington
Chase Clement QB Rice
Alex Tanney QB Monmouth, Ill.
DeWayne Peace WR Houston
Lavasier Tuinei WR Oregon
Gino Crump WR Arizona
Devin Goda WR Slippery Rock
Antoine Hicks WR TCU

Chase Clement was recently in camp with Winnipeg in the CFL, Alex Tanney was with the Chiefs in the preseason in 2012, Lavasier Tuinei was on the Bengals practice squad in 2012, Gino Crump was with Arizona in the

2012 preseason and Antoine Hicks was part of the Cowboys 2013 rookie minicamp.

The Cowboys might even have two spots available before the start of camp, depending on the status of Josh Brent.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Like the DL needs any practice. It's a passing league. Derp.
What I really don't get is the WRs. That is the one area where it appears we can't even add another body.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys workout three quarterbacks

July, 16, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

As the Dallas Cowboys prepare for training camp, the team worked out three quarterbacks on Tuesday according to a source.

Kyle Padron, Chase Clement and Alex Tanney worked out at Valley Ranch.

Padron from Southlake, Texas, played three seasons at SMU before leaving and playing the 2012 season at Eastern Washington. Padron threw for 17 touchdowns and seven interceptions last season.

Clement was cut this summer by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the CFL. In four seasons at Rice, Clement threw for 9,785 yards, 99 touchdowns and 34 touchdowns.

Tanney, a former NCAA Division III record-setting quarterback at Monmouth College, was cut by the Kansas City Chiefs in May, after spending the 2012 season with the team. He was on injured reserve with a hand injury.

The Cowboys are expected to keep just two quarterbacks on the active roster in Tony Romo and Kyle Orton. The Cowboys, with one roster spot available, also have quarterbacksNick Stephens and Dalton Williams on the 90-man roster.

Cotton

Staff member
What I really don't get is the WRs. That is the one area where it appears we can't even add another body.
I think we are okay at WR so long as everyone can stay healthy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I see our pro personnel department is using YouTube to scout:

Carp

DCC 4Life
On the plus side...no CBs were brought in.

BTW...I love our CB depth this year. Might be the strength of the team.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Anthony Amos has looked good, so has Green and Rogers. None of these guys can beat them out.
Probably not, but with Beasley and Coale looking shaky as the bubble players, I'd look everywhere for the sole purpose of churning those two. It's embarrassing that someone as untalented as Beasley is actually on the roster. Just finding a reliable player who can run routes, not get hurt, and run faster than Charlotte Jones seems to be a chore for the Cowboys. Harris was like a breath of fresh air, and hopefully Amos and these other camp bodies follow suit. I'm rooting for Coale, but he just can't stay healthy.

The problem on the DL is the camp bodies won't realistically beat Wilber, Crawford, Lissemore, and Bass, and these guys need as many reps as possible to change defenses. When they cut Hargrove, I think they pretty much cemented their starting roster, with maybe Hayden a ninth DL. Hayden, Long, Igbinosun, Sheffield-- they are IMO on the outside looking in and camp bodies for the second half of preseason games. Still, I like Bass, Hayden, and Igbinosun. The problems are the starters.

IMO the perfect positions for churn are LB, OL, RB, TE, S, and WR where we are in danger of older journeymen or untalented scrubs actually making the final 53, and QB where we don't have a developmental player at all. Corner seems fairly deep as Sterling Moore as a 5th guy is not bad at all.

Basically the time for DL was back in April, IMO, when they could get some real pedigreed challengers up front.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Not sure how churning the OL would be more acceptable than the DL.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not sure how churning the OL would be more acceptable than the DL.
We have embarrassing players like Free, Arkin, Kowalski, and Costa that all might make this roster on the OL. At least with Wilber, Lissemore, Bass, and Crawford you can see youth and promise. These guys could see serious minutes and really help the team.

I have no problem with Ware, Spencer, Hatcher, and Ratliff each in isolation as each has talent and can be a difference maker. Even Hatcher. Our problems on the DL is there's no 1-technique that can make up for DL's combined lack of size, and the combined age and injury history of the starters puts more pressure on the backups. But you can realistically only have 8, maybe 9 guys.

But the OL is devoid of talent. The backups outside of Leary show no promise whatsoever. We have two players out of ten likely positions who are worth a shit and two others in Livings and Leary who might be worth half a shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not only have you seen where they are physically, but mentally as well. It’s a smart move for the simple fact that once in camp, you cannot waste time. Poor quarterback play by your down-the-line guys would be just that.
--------------
I am shocked Broaddus didn't shill for Vince Young again.

Top Bottom