Boozeman: 5 trade and waiver wire options for Cowboys at center

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
:lol

I love the ending. The real booze sneaking through:

The other course could involve a trade. That said, the organization rarely gets a sense of urgency to swap for talent, instead relying on a culture of hope.

No matter the strategy in place, Dallas needs to be prepared to seize any opportunity that may present itself. As EVP Stephen Jones is so very fond of stating that the team is always looking for ways to improve, it is to the point that needs to be more than just idle chatter.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Feh. Especially to Mangold. Being out a year, he has probably lost a ton of weight. OL usually do that when they hang them up.
what about Barnes? I didnt see his name in your article.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Boozeman: 5 trade and waiver wire options for Cowboys at center

5 trade and waiver wire options for Cowboys at center
By: C.C. Boorman | 28 minutes ago

The unexpected revelation concerning the health of Dallas Cowboys center Travis Frederick has put the team in what should be a very alarming position of uncertainty. With an OL that was supposed to establish the team’s identity, Dallas can ill afford a significant downgrade and moreover will need to avert a crisis that lasts well into the season, if not the entire season, as Frederick continues his battle with Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

It is clear, at least for now, Dallas will roll with veteran Joe Looney as their starting pivot for the immediate future.

While Frederick was seeking opinions on his health last week, Looney started and played the majority of the game against the Bengals, leaving very few snaps for anyone else. Marcus Martin was originally going to be that alternate reserve at center, but that design ended when he was placed on injured reserve with a toe injury. His elevation will rob the team of a swing guard and backup center.

That leaves a wide hole in terms of interior depth, particularly with players like Kadeem Edwards and Damien Mama failing to step up to the plate. The additional layer of cloudiness from Zack Martin’s knee makes addressing additional help almost a necessity.

Once the initial shock and grieving period is over, it is likely GM Jerry Jones and his staff will have to take a closer look at other team’s rosters in search of alternatives. The move that makes the most sense would be to acquire a player who has the same flexibility Martin possessed. The question then becomes how would that need be explored.

Here is a look at the some of the possible options for the Cowboys that they might need to track as the rest of the NFL clubs sort out their offensive line battles.

Hroniss Grasu, Chicago Bears

If Dallas is looking for a player with pedigree with a modest price tag, Grasu may fit the bill. A third-round selection of the Bears in 2015, Grasu recorded 12 starts in 14 games in an abbreviated career. He has fought injuries and inconsistency and strength concerns for three years. His rookie season provided some glimpses of potential in the NFL, but he will likely be unable to crack Chicago’s roster with Cody Whitehair, James Daniels and Eric Kush ahead of him on the depth chart.

Travis Swanson, New York Jets

Swanson is an experienced center who had started 37 games for Detroit over the past three seasons until he was allowed to depart in free agency in April. Swanson landed with the New York Jets who provided him a modest one-year deal for only $1.55 million. He has been battling to serve as an interior depth option for New York, but he is likely to lose out due to the fact he does not have much flexibility to play guard, unlike his main source of competition, Jonotthan Harrison.

Max Garcia – Denver Broncos

Garcia is former fourth-round pick of the Broncos in 2015 with 32 starts the past two seasons. With the starting guard spots locked up by Connor McGovern and Ron Leary, he was pushed down to a reserve role, battling with rookie draft pick Sam Jones, Austin Schlottmann and J. J. Dielman. Earlier in the preseason, it was expected that Garcia would be on the roster bubble, but he has changed some minds on the Broncos’ coaching staff with a strong preseason and he is now getting snaps at center as the team looks to find a place for him.

In the event that experiment does not pay off, Garcia would likely only be moved if the Broncos get an attractive enough trade offer.

Brett Jones – New York Giants

Jones is a product of the CFL who the Giants signed in the 2015 offseason. He ended up starting 13 games at guard and eventually center after Winston Richburg went down last season. Thus far in camp, Jones has been outplayed in his duel with Jon Halapio and does not seem to be getting much of a look as a guard alternative. He did receive a second-round restricted free agent tender and is getting paid near starter money. New York could save $3 million against the cap if he were to be released.

Other Long(er) Shots

Other possibilities exist should teams make tough decisions in places like Buffalo (Ryan Groy and Russell Bodine are at a stalemate with Adam Redmond as extra depth), Baltimore (Bradley Bozeman), Rams (Austin Blythe), Patriots (Luke Bowanko, Ted Karras, Brian Schwenke) and the Chargers (Spencer Pulley vs draftee Scott Quessenberry).

One plan may be to wait out until the final cuts. That would be a risky maneuver as Dallas may be battling a number of other teams that are just as desperate for depth additions at the position as they are. The other course could involve a trade. That said, the organization rarely gets a sense of urgency to swap for talent, instead relying on a culture of hope.

No matter the strategy in place, Dallas needs to be prepared to seize any opportunity that may present itself. As EVP Stephen Jones is so very fond of stating that the team is always looking for ways to improve, it is to the point that needs to be more than just idle chatter.

Stay tuned Cowboys fans, it may soon be time to get familiar with some new faces on the offensive line interior.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
what about Barnes? I didnt see his name in your article.
Because he sucks

Actually he is a street free agent. Chose to focus on guys not selling used cars at the moment.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Travis Swanson, New York Jets

Swanson is an experienced center who had started 37 games for Detroit over the past three seasons until he was allowed to depart in free agency in April. Swanson landed with the New York Jets who provided him a modest one-year deal for only $1.55 million. He has been battling to serve as an interior depth option for New York, but he is likely to lose out due to the fact he does not have much flexibility to play guard, unlike his main source of competition, Jonotthan Harrison.
I'd call the Jets and see if they are interested in a player for player swap. They've been looking for DEs, and we have some that will be cut. If they're probably cutting Swanson anyway, maybe they'd be interested in Swanson for Ealy. Save both teams the gamble of the waiver wire and could help both out.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Some other names I think are available: B.J. Finney, Daniel Munyer, Jack Allen, Joe Hawley, and Mike Matthews.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd call the Jets and see if they are interested in a player for player swap. They've been looking for DEs, and we have some that will be cut. If they're probably cutting Swanson anyway, maybe they'd be interested in Swanson for Ealy. Save both teams the gamble of the waiver wire and could help both out.
I'd trade Ealy or Tapper in a heart beat right now. I'm good with Lawrence, Taco, Gregory and Armstrong with Crawford as a tweener. That seems like a pretty good DE group.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd trade Ealy or Tapper in a heart beat right now. I'm good with Lawrence, Taco, Gregory and Armstrong with Crawford as a tweener. That seems like a pretty good DE group.
Yep. I'm good with that DE group, too.

I thought I had mentioned Tapper. Should have read Swanson for Ealy or Tapper.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
143 shares so far on this article. Hellz yeah, Booze. :towel

p1_

DCC 4Life

This is who I want .

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:lol

I found that gif about a week ago. Was just waiting for the right time to drop it.

Thank you.

Thought I might have to save it for the next time Parcells was mentioned and Schmitty posted...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Spielman is a quality GM.

Got Iloka for the vet minimum and now swings a trade for OL depth instead of fighting with everyone else at the roster cutdowns.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well, at least I sort of predicted Adam Redmond. :unsure

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
I bet Redmond is smarter than Redball.

Top Bottom