Being An In-N-Out Manager Could Make You Richer Than Becoming A Lawyer

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What I have realized in life from my line of work is that people that want to work will work. People who find government support better than work won't. People who blame the businesses for their employees failures in life are blaming the wrong people.
I have realized from my line of work that a very small percentage of the population wants to work, especially those at the lower end of the socioeconomic scale.

Most can make it better by getting food stamps and welfare or manufacture something that gets them SSI.

Businesses want to get the cheapest labor possible. This is not a new thing. It was in existence back during the industrial revolution. Cheap labor was the ideal.

That is what I am getting at by saying something has to give.

The workforce is far too supported by systemic institutions that come from the government. This generation has the worst fucking work ethic I have ever seen.

Honestly, businesses need to adapt to this generation and a half that quite frankly would rather sit on their asses than provide labor.

That, or the source, namely government support needs to cease.

Then you get class warfare.

So, here we are.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
McDonalds could pay its workers a better wage. You know it and so do I.

This is not Frank's Korner Diner just struggling to get by.
Probably true but in the end it's an owners decision to retain the margins for the stockholders or pay it out to employees. The Boards make that determination so they are probably a little bias. Even that response is an oversimplification because some of the restaurants are possibly franchised and that adds a wrinkle to the expense line. It's not a simple solution but the reality is that an owner be it stockholder or franchise is going to want to hang on to as much of the profits as they can.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
You might make $120K, but you would have to live with the shame of being second best to Whataburger.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And it is not even close to how dumbed down you are trying to make it sound.

Nobody is talking a billion gazillion dollars per hour, just even more than what they pay, which I would hope you know is not even close to livable. Even a small gesture, a simple head nod to the labor pool would make them heroes.

I bring this up for one reason, my client is dying right now. They think that my company, that services them, can find willing labor at $9-10 bucks and hour. They are holding fast and putting the heat on us to magically shit out people who will work for that.

The reason I bring up McDonalds is that if a company like In-N-Out has this kind of model, it wouldn't hurt them to make a gesture. But they aren't willing to do that simply out of greed and arrogance.
Them raising the wages of all of their frontline employees would have massive impact for them. You cat like it would just be a few tens of thousands of dollars. McDonald's has just shy of 2 million employees. Raising their base pay across the company would be in the millions of dollars DAILY. So, you would buy a McChicken for 10 bucks? No? That's what I thought.

You act like it's as simple as the company just loosening the purse strings. It would do one of two things. Bankrupt the company or cause the company to completely change it's BUSINESS MODEL. Which is what I have been talking about all along. In and Out can pay higher wages because their food is more expensive. 6 bucks for their double double and that is just the burger. That doesn't include the 3 bucks for fries and 3 bucks for drink. It's all about how a business chooses to model itself. And, it is neither yours nor any anybody else's damn business to tell them what they should or should not pay their employees. Don't like it, don't fucking eat there.

Cotton

Staff member
if In N Out were to drop wages to minimum wage, would their product worsen? You don't see In n Out being located on MLK Blvd either, probably more correlation to where Whole Foods are located.
Absolutely it would. You get what you pay for. They have chosen to pay a higher wage and employ people worth that wage. People that will show more attention to detail. People that will show better customer service, etc.

Cotton

Staff member

midswat

... soon
I can never advocate for higher wages in fast food. I'm sorry that the entitled untrained aren't satisfied with menial wages. Try learning a craft. Apprentice electriticans/pipefitters/carpenters etc make more than minimum wage and it's experience you can build on. Try joining the military. Try doing something other than screwing my order up the rare times I actually bother to eat fast food.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Them raising the wages of all of their frontline employees would have massive impact for them. You cat like it would just be a few tens of thousands of dollars. McDonald's has just shy of 2 million employees. Raising their base pay across the company would be in the millions of dollars DAILY. So, you would buy a McChicken for 10 bucks? No? That's what I thought.

You act like it's as simple as the company just loosening the purse strings. It would do one of two things. Bankrupt the company or cause the company to completely change it's BUSINESS MODEL. Which is what I have been talking about all along. In and Out can pay higher wages because their food is more expensive. 6 bucks for their double double and that is just the burger. That doesn't include the 3 bucks for fries and 3 bucks for drink. It's all about how a business chooses to model itself. And, it is neither yours nor any anybody else's damn business to tell them what they should or should not pay their employees. Don't like it, don't fucking eat there.
Best I can tell Macs is about 80% franchised.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And when machines take even more of the crappy burger flipping jobs what then?

Even the pizza faced 16 year old will have problems finding work.

Things have grown to a point where something has to give.
Yeah, it's called, people will have to start doing other things besides flipping fricking burgers to make ends meet.

If it was worth it to McDonald's to pay people more, they would. It's not. No one is being exploited.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, poverty is their problem, not my responsibility. Don't have kids, don't buy bling, take the bus, share an apt and you can live a happy life on minimum wage.
Yeah... pretty much. Or is everyone now owed an upper middle class lifestyle with a Hyundai in every driveway and a smartphone in every pocket? Is there something wrong with taking public transportation? Rich Yuppies love it.

Don't be a fucking jerkoff at school, go to a community college, and make decent money with very little post-HS education. Not a hard formula.

Some people choose to adopt attitudes towards education that is essentially discouraging it. Those are the ones who end up stuck in fast food jobs.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
We do have a skilled worker deficit in this country. Maybe those working and McDonalds should check it out. Ask anyone who runs a business will tell you their biggest problem is finding good people to work.

Fairness is a small part of the problem. Nobody knows how to work anymore.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Why would anyone attempt to put social fairness as a component to capitalism? If it is the capitalism system that drives the wealth and pursuit of a better life style then use that system to make it happen for yourself. There a many avenues that are provided in this country to pursue a better financial level. The biggest enemy of those who are seeking a better position is the idea that are entitled to a better way of life. That isn't true but even so the system still provides ways for people to pursue. But the snag is that it sometakes takes dedication and sacrifice to achieve ones goals with in the existing system. Bottom line is it is up to the individual to make it happen. Always has been.

Cotton

Staff member
We do have a skilled worker deficit in this country. Maybe those working and McDonalds should check it out. Ask anyone who runs a business will tell you their biggest problem is finding good people to work.

Fairness is a small part of the problem. Nobody knows how to work anymore.
Because in a skilled profession you actually have to work. Flipping burgers inside in the AC is much easier than using a grinder to grind off welds while learning as a welder's helper.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Because in a skilled profession you actually have to work. Flipping burgers inside in the AC is much easier than using a grinder to grind off welds while learning as a welder's helper.
We have been telling kids for a few generations that hard work and getting dirty is a terrible way to make a living. Now we have an entire generation that wants no part of that.

Cotton

Staff member
We have been telling kids for a few generations that hard work and getting dirty is a terrible way to make a living. Now we have an entire generation that wants no part of that.
It's because our parents wanted us to go to college and not follow in their footsteps. The game has flipped.

Top Bottom