Barnwell: Five 2020 offseason moves for NFC teams - Bill Barnwell predicts trades, free agency, cuts

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is the trap. When you suck or otherwise land high draft pick, you’re supposed to draft DL or QBs to build your way back. It’s not rocket science.

Instead, we draft the “one pick away” players like Morris Claiborne and Zeke.

We never pay the bill we need to and always go for the immediate success (Zeke) or in the case of Claiborne God knows WTF.

We are fucking stupid and short sighted.

It’s almost like we have to burn extra picks at this point to get the size and power up front that we need.

So as much as I’d love to not have to trade up... maybe we do?

Has else can we climb out of this shitlaced quicksand we’re in?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is the trap. When you suck or otherwise land high draft pick, you’re supposed to draft DL or QBs to build your way back. It’s not rocket science.

We never pay the bill we need to and always go for the immediate success (Zeke) or in the case of Claiborne God knows WTF.

It’s almost like we have to burn extra picks at this point to get the size and power up front that we need.

Sign Michael Pierce as a 2-down run stuffer and then someone like Quinton Jefferson, David Onyemata or Michael Brockers as a guy who is still strong against the run but provides a little bit more pass rush on the inside. Pretty much all those guys should be available for like ~5-7/year, so you aren't killing your cap. That's if you want to spend reasonably, if you really want to get wild you can go after Arik Armstead, Javon Hargrave or DJ Reader.

Pretty simple really if you have a front office who doesn't hold their cap space between their ass cheeks as tight as they possibly can in hopes of getting a 4th round comp pick a year from now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

It was in part because of Romo the Zeke pick. We were trying to win it all knowing the clock was ticking. Not saying it was smart but Romo's injury the previous year was why we tanked so bad.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life

I think they can get some bodies at defensive tackle in free agency. There's a quality crop this year so it should be a buyer's market. Just dump the dead weight and bad contracts in Crawford and Fleming and you have an additional $2.5 million to spend on defensive line.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think they can get some bodies at defensive tackle in free agency. There's a quality crop this year so it should be a buyer's market. Just dump the dead weight and bad contracts in Crawford and Fleming and you have an additional $2.5 million to spend on defensive line.
I’m hoping for a better brand of bodies compared to recent rotations

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crawford clears way more than 2.5 mil.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Cutting Cam Fleming clears about 5 million and we can save about 1.5 by cutting Chris Jones, who you have to think is a goner under Fassel.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Must have been a typo. Crawford and Fleming being cut would clear $12.5 million.
I'm not convinced I want to cut Flemming yet. Not sure who the swing tackle would be. Whoever it is will likely start some games considering Smith's injury history.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I'm not convinced I want to cut Flemming yet. Not sure who the swing tackle would be. Whoever it is will likely start some games considering Smith's injury history.
My position is this:

I'm giving McGovern every opportunity to take the left guard role. Connor Williams does his best there, but he's a natural tackle and not a guard. I'm prepping Williams to be my swing tackle at this point with an eye on making him my potential left tackle successor down the road. And I'll also throw Brandon Knight and Mitch Hyatt into the mix at tackle.

Between those three, I'm comfortable with my options if I let Fleming go. He was Ok filling in, but not worth the $6 million he's set to cost in 2020. You just can't afford that for a backup, especially with what this team is already paying for its offensive line.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Between those three, I'm comfortable with my options if I let Fleming go. He was Ok filling in, but not worth the $6 million he's set to cost in 2020. You just can't afford that for a backup, especially with what this team is already paying for its offensive line.
If the plan is to move Williams to OT full time I'm with you. I think he is a mediocre guard at best. I think he could be a solid OT.

His skillset just fits better there in my opinion.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
If the plan is to move Williams to OT full time I'm with you. I think he is a mediocre guard at best. I think he could be a solid OT.

His skillset just fits better there in my opinion.
That's my thinking. And I hope that the new coaching staff agrees with me. As you said, his skill set fits at tackle, not guard. He has the movement skills required at tackle, but not quite the power needed to consistently anchor at guard. Let him be who he is and not who you'd like him to be.

McGovern is the interior player and the better fit at left guard. Considering the draft capital invested in him, give him the opportunity to give you return on that investment. And keep Su'a Filo around if he's affordable as your other guard option.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
They didn't even have a coach to tell them that the punter, kicker, and coverage units all sucked.

Thankfully, now they do.
Please. The following has been established and cannot be refuted:

It’s hard to win in this league.
They practice hard.
They play hard.
They have the right kinds of guys.
They study the film and get better.
It’s a process.

Top Bottom