Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Actually, we have had plenty of options on offense. We just don't diversify them.

Lookit, most teams are only going to carry 5/6 WRs.

But how many times did we see Beasley, Harris etc. line up in the same damn place and do the same damn thing?

This past week had NFL show a lot of the old 1970s Cowboys games. It was amazing how we had roles for Preston Pearson, Jean Fugett, Doug Dennison, Tony Dorsett, Robert Newhouse, Golden Richards etc.

It was not just a failed run to Murray, dump off to Witten, take your chances on Bryant on third down sort of thing.

Our sub-packages are predictable. The Ravens were snickering about it when Wade was still the sort of head coach.
Interesting analysis, would you perhaps conclude that our offense is being ran by an inexperienced, stubborn novice?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We have plenty of options on offense. Dez, Witten, Williams, Harris, Beasley, Hanna, Dunbar...most teams would salivate at what we have from the skill positions. Sure we can add to it, but where do they fit?
What other hope is there other than adding more options besides ridding ourselves of Garrett?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Carp

DCC 4Life
What other hope is there other than adding more options besides ridding ourselves of Garrett?
If we can upgrade at the skill positions, fine, but the best hope is no more Garrett. Like has been said in the thread...we have options, just poorly used. You give him more options and it is wasted.

Cotton

Staff member
If we can upgrade at the skill positions, fine, but the best hope is no more Garrett. Like has been said in the thread...we have options, just poorly used. You give him more options and it is wasted.
So let's just quit talking about how the team can upgrade until he is gone. We will have tons to talk about.

Carp

DCC 4Life
So let's just quit talking about how the team can upgrade until he is gone. We will have tons to talk about.
Talk about whatever you want to talk about...I just think it would not be utilized, you do. Post more, seriously.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Agreed. Glad you're finally getting it. Of course depth is still an issue. So that would be a need which is almost certainly what Bill Jones was referring to.
Bernadeau and Leary will make good depth once we replace them with quality starters.

Cotton

Staff member
Talk about whatever you want to talk about...I just think it would not be utilized, you do. Post more, seriously.
I will, thanks for the permission.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm not against adding talent, just don't think it would be utilized properly. Take it personal though.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not against adding talent, just don't think it would be utilized properly. Take it personal though.
:lol

Who was taking anything personal? If you aren't against adding any talent then why would you be against adding Avant?

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Who was taking anything personal? If you aren't against adding any talent then why would you be against adding Avant?
He's a 31 year old who caught 38 passes last year. This is like adding Patrick Crayton.... not exactly like we passed on Larry Fitzgerald.

Carp

DCC 4Life

You are. Avant is not the kind of talent I want this year. If you are a team needing a slight bump to put you over the top, fine, but I'd rather add players that may have a longterm impact on the team. A 30 year old WR is not what I'm looking for.

Cotton

Staff member
Hell, why would we add anyone if that's the mindset. Why even take Manziel if he falls because we won't use him with Romo tied down for the next few years. Why take anyone that can help us, really, if the thought is no one will be utilized. Fantastic plan.

Cotton

Staff member
You are. Avant is not the kind of talent I want this year. If you are a team needing a slight bump to put you over the top, fine, but I'd rather add players that may have a longterm impact on the team. A 30 year old WR is not what I'm looking for.
We have room to sign him and didn't. What kind of talent would you land in FA? We need a shit ton on players to fill a shit ton of holes. WR is a depth need that could have been solved in FA but not now.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Hell, why would we add anyone if that's the mindset. Why even take Manziel if he falls because we won't use him with Romo tied down for the next few years. Why take anyone that can help us, really, if the thought is no one will be utilized. Fantastic plan.
Yeah...comparing a QB of the future with Jason Avant is very similar. Great point.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not adding Manziel is nothing like not adding Avant.

Avant is 31 (or will be in 2 weeks). He's probably on the downside of his career, coming up pretty quickly.

He's never, ever been more than a third WR.

I think its very possible, if not likely, that we either add a WR in the draft or develop one currently on the roster, who will be better than Avant either this year or next (notwithstanding Bryant and Williams).

I just don't really see what Avant brings to the table. He is a classic example of a progress stopper, unless you are really right there on the cusp and you need a surehanded veteran for sure.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We have room to sign him and didn't. What kind of talent would you land in FA? We need a shit ton on players to fill a shit ton of holes. WR is a depth need that could have been solved in FA but not now.
If it is a young WR pushing Beasley off the roster, fine, but it isn't. We don't have to spend the money...I'd rather go after a guy like Decoud. WR depth is way down the list for me...and there is depth there in the draft.

Cotton

Staff member
The point is that you add help where you can, and Avant is help. You can't move forward scared to add talent because the coach may or may not use them. Avant would be an upgrade over Austin because of his injuries. I would have loved to sign him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'd go with Bennett if I had to sign a WR, but I think you can draft one and be just as well off.

cmd34

Brand New Member
Bennett (age 27, 185 career receptions) would be a good call. The USC homer in me also would suggest Damian Williams (age 25, 106 career receptions). Supposedly, we really liked Brian Robiskie (age 26) a few years back but one, he's never really done anything and two, we've had chances to sign him and didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom