Archer: Wild-card games show Bailey's importance

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wild-card games show Bailey's importance
January, 6, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Two games on wild-card weekend were decided by field goals.

The New Orleans Saints beat the Philadelphia Eagles 26-24 on a 32-yard kick by Shayne Graham on Saturday. Lake Highland’s Phil Dawson helped the San Francisco 49ers beat the Green Bay Packers with a 33-yard field goal as time expired.

Having a reliable kicker in the NFL nowadays is a must with how close the games are each week.

The Kansas City Chiefs chose to attempt to convert a fourth-and-17 from the Indianapolis Colts 43 instead of giving Ryan Succop a chance to make a 60-yarder. Succop made all three of his attempts Saturday, but did his late-season struggles lead the Chiefs to not even think about the long kick in a dome stadium?

Although a 60-yard try might have been ridiculed, too.

The Cowboys have one of the most reliable in Dan Bailey, who has missed only four of his last 61 field goal attempts the past two seasons. A case could have been made for Bailey to make the Pro Bowl over Justin Tucker or Matt Prater, but there were other kickers with solid arguments as well for a free trip to Hawaii.

Bailey will be a restricted free agent in March, and he is in a good spot.

At the very least the Cowboys will put the second-round tender on Bailey, which would pay him $2.124 million in 2014. Because he was undrafted in 2011, they have no other option. They could opt to put the right-of-first-refusal tender on him worth $1.389 million but would not receive any compensation in return if he signed an offer sheet with another team.

What the Cowboys should do – and can do despite the salary-cap issues – is sign Bailey to a multiyear deal where they would in effect buy out his chance at unrestricted free agency. They did it a few years ago with Jermey Parnell. They did it last year with Barry Church and Phil Costa.

The Chicago Bears signed Robbie Gould to a four-year, $15 million deal that included $9 million guaranteed. Gould is older and has a Pro Bowl to his credit. He was also set to be an unrestricted free agent.

Only once before has owner and general manager Jerry Jones ponied up for a kicker. In 2006, he gave Mike Vanderjagt a three-year, $5.4 million deal that included a $2.5 million signing bonus, and Vanderjagt did not last the season.

Bailey is no Vanderjagt.

He turns 26 later this month and is an ascending player with an immense amount of respect in the locker room. Teammates voted him the special teams’ captain in 2013.

Finding a middle ground should not be a problem for a player Jason Garrett said does his job as well as anybody the Cowboys have.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The Cowboys should definitely resign Bailey. In this age of NFL parity reliable kickers and solid coaching can be the difference between 8 wins and 10 wins. I've seen it time and time again with the Cowboys.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Since it is "so hard to win in the NFL" and we have about as mediocre results that it would be almost impossible to duplicate, this guy should be signed immediately as a no-brainer.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys, Free-Agent Kicker Bailey ‘On Same Page’
Mike Fisher for 105.3 The Fan | CBSDFW.com
January 6, 2014 10:46 AM

IRVING, Texas (105.3 THE FAN) – Free agency and the salary cap figures to rob the Dallas Cowboys of some of their talent this offseason. But as it regards Dan Bailey, all parties involved tell 105.3 The Fan that the NFL system, a Valley Ranch philosophical change and the talents of the standout kicker figure to allow him to carry on as one of the team’s most consistent performers.

Sources say the parties are in contact and are “on the same page’’ regarding Bailey’s return to the Cowboys.

Bailey, 25, is set to be a restricted free agent. The Cowboys can issue him a first-round tender (guaranteeing Bailey a salary of about $3 million) or a second-round tender (at about $2 million). Then the kicker can shop himself around the NFL – but Dallas can match any offer made to Bailey.

And the Cowboys will almost certainly do so, a shift in philosophy from years and years of believing kickers are easily replaced.

Meanwhile, a source says Dallas would, in combination with the tender, work to sign Bailey to a long-term deal. Top kickers in the NFL make $3 million or so, and the framework for a deal has been set by Chicago’s extension on Robbie Gould (four years, $15 million, with $9 million guaranteed). If the Cowboys tender Bailey at $2 million, they would likely try to negotiate a contract with annual salaries that start at that relatively low level.

All of that – and the fact that any team stealing away Bailey would owe Dallas the pick equivalent to the tender (either a first- or second-rounder) – there really isn’t much free-agency “danger’’ or decision-making to do here (as there is with defensive linemen Jason Hatcher and Anthony Spencer, both unrestricted free agents).

This year, Bailey was 28-of-30 on field goals. He’s gone 89-of-98 since coming into the NFL three years ago as an undrafted free agent.

“It’s been a great first three years here and I think it’s a great place to kick,” Bailey told reporters at season’s end. “It’s obviously a first-class organization, so I can’t really see any negatives to playing here. So yeah, I’d love to stay here if I could. We’ll just kind of see what happens. Hopefully I’ll be able to stick around a little longer.”

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I might have to disagree that signing Bailey is a "must." I would like to if it makes financial sense.

But it seems like these days every kicker hits a very high percentage.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I might have to disagree that signing Bailey is a "must." I would like to if it makes financial sense.

But it seems like these days every kicker hits a very high percentage.
With a crappy coach like Garrett around who finds it just so hard to win close games, he is a must.

Bailey has bailed his ass out at least seven times, if not more. Garrett should personally be thanking him he still has a fricking job.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
With a crappy coach like Garrett around who finds it just so hard to win close games, he is a must.

Bailey has bailed his ass out at least seven times, if not more. Garrett should personally be thanking him he still has a fricking job.
That's the way I look at it. Now if we had a coach in hand who knew how to manage a game then I'd be willing to part with Bailey.

Besides, I'm all for rewarding guys who have proven their value over a period of time and whose best days are still ahead of them.

data

Forbes #1
You could say that about any player. Who would you sign that doesn't make financial sense?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You could say that about any player. Who would you sign that doesn't make financial sense?
That's Schmitty's favorite thing to do.

Hey Schmitty, would you like to sign player X?

Sure, for the right price.

:doh

data

Forbes #1
Jerruh: Now, Dan, you have performed well but want to make sure that, financially, we sdo what's prudent for...

Dan: shut up, Jerry. One word. Buehler.

Jerruh: how much you want?

Cotton

Staff member
That's Schmitty's favorite thing to do.

Hey Schmitty, would you like to sign player X?

Sure, for the right price.

:doh
We have to have the right kind of coach to replace Garrett.

What kind of coach, Smitty?

I don't know, just one that is above average.

Cotton

Staff member
Jerruh: Now, Dan, you have performed well but want to make sure that, financially, we sdo what's prudent for...

:lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Gotta love these quotes from Jerry:

After Bailey nails six FGs to beat the Redskins: "Buehler is too big of an asset for us not to count on him the rest of the year."

Four weeks later: "It’s frustrating to have your kicker injured. He’s a valuable asset, especially with the rules as they are right now. We’re going to be playing some key away games out in the weather and we’d like to have him kicking in them because he is a better kickoff guy than [Dan] Bailey. I’m very frustrated. It is his job to stay ready to play and prepare himself so that those kinds of things, for what he’s got to do, don’t come up.”

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well if he's a "must" that implies you'd way overpay him to keep him here.

I wouldn't.

I also wouldn't make this signing based on Garrett being here as a coach or not.

Top Bottom