Archer: Like Pats, Cowboys have to do more with less

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I see. So you can constantly say he's not one of the worst in the league, but when it comes to actually comparing him to his peers you got nothing.
There's plenty; it's just obvious that anyone who would make such a ridiculous statement isn't interested in being objective.

I've compared him to his peers many times. Go dig up the list again if you'd like.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Plenty of what?

Even his boss doesn't care to call him a coach. What other owner even thinks that? After three years its basic mistakes. The Green Bay game is a perfect example. That was inexcusable. Yes the defense was to blame but why not even attempt to run the ball. Its so obvious that he shouldn't be making these mistakes at this level.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I see. So you can constantly say he's not one of the worst in the league, but when it comes to actually comparing him to his peers you got nothing.
Exactly right.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Despite all those inexcusable mistakes, which merit replacement, the guy has patched together 8-8 teams despite having back to back seasons with collegiate level talent on the OL then on the DL, being the two most important position groups on the team after QB.

The offense is inconsistent and not good enough but statistically remains middle of the pack or better depending on the measurement.

So he's not doing the completely horrible job that a few posters in fantasy land want to pretend is the case. Not good enough, yes, worst coach in the league.... laughable. Don't forget, any other coach who would come here, would not be doing as well as they are doing wherever they are currently, due to the huge negative influence that is Jerry Jones as well, so it's not like Bruce Arians, who went 10-6 in Arizona this year, actually would have gone 10-6 if he was here.

The biggest joke is Deuce says "He's the third worst coach in the league" but then caveats that clearly false statement with "Ooops, not counting all the young coaches who were just hired this offseason or last offseason."

Well.... so he's not the third worst coach in the league then.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

There's plenty; it's just obvious that anyone who would make such a ridiculous statement isn't interested in being objective.

I've compared him to his peers many times. Go dig up the list again if you'd like.
The majority of the guys on the list below him are now unemployed. Doesn't that just by default put him near the bottom? Or are you planning to judge guys like Zimmer without seeing him do anything?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The majority of the guys on the list below him are now unemployed.
Guess I was right when I said last year that he wasn't one of the worst then.

Doesn't that just by default put him near the bottom?
Not necessarily.

Or are you planning to judge guys like Zimmer without seeing him do anything?
Zimmer's an odd call cause I wouldn't want him back here under any circumstances, but maybe in a functional environment he could be ok. I'm comfortable in judging that I do not think Zimmer is going to be a guy that could get this team over the hump, but he could end up with a Marvin Lewis-like tenure where he sticks around a long time for never being truly bad despite also never winning anything.

Then there are the ones like Jay Gruden and Jim Caldwell who I am not impressed with at all and I suspect will join names like Greg Schiano and Jim Schwartz (two other coaches who were not better than Garrett) on the unemployment line relatively quickly.

All in all I'd still say there are a handful that are clearly worse, a dozen or so that are clearly much better, and a bunch of guys in the middle who may have been better or worse at one time or another but if put in this environment wouldn't do measurably better than Garrett has in terms of results.

Last edited:

midswat

... soon
Oh, I'm certainly not saying Campo was even passable as a coach. But he was bland. Didn't do much at all, letting his coordinators do their thing. It's just that we had shitty coaches and players, so they didn't do much.

But I don't remember Campo making any blatantly stupid mistakes that cost us games. Do you? If so, refresh my memory.
The only time I remember was him making a ridiculously stupid decision on Thanksgiving vs Denver in like 2000 or 2001. Had something to do with whether or not to kick a field goal or something. I really don't recall. Just that it was a monumentally stupid decision that got mocked for a while.

Garrett has had a number of similar gaffs. Garrett is the worst. Honestly, I'd take Campo over Garrett.

At least with Campo, we were in the midst of cap hell and he was dealing with the likes of Quincy Carter/Anthony Wright/Clint Stoener at QB. Those teams were bad bad bad from a talent perspective.

Todays Cowboys actually have a few Hall of Fame candidate guys at key positions and a franchise QB - and all Garrett can do is squeeze 3 more wins each year with that?

Bitch please.

D

Deuce

Do you honestly think that 3 straight years of 8-8 with the amount of talent he was given will have prevented him from being unemployed from the other 31 teams? Only we are saddled with a retard willing to let a HC have 5 years of on the job training. Baltimore certainly would have dumped his ass by now had he taken that job and provided similar results.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
For all your bluster, and smoke and mirrors, you've never given any tangible things that show Garrett is better than the bottom 3rd of coaches. There is actual proof of his shittyness. The rest is all bullshit repeatedly spewed by somebody afraid to admit they were wrong.

You love saying you are only arguing against people calling him worse than he really is. How come you never stuck up for any other player or coach as vehemently as you do for Garrett? Especially since they received the same treatment?

Somebody like Greg Ellis? Or Terrance Newman? Or Mike Jenkins? They certainly didn't live up to their billing, and all three were lambasted on this board. Some of it deserved, but not like they were roasted. But if you're honest with yourself, they all did their jobs better than Garrett has done his. Where was your support for them? Or was it because they didn't receive the Schmitty stamp of approval from jump, so there wasn't the need to defend them to the death?

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Not necessarily.

Zimmer's an odd call cause I wouldn't want him back here under any circumstances, but maybe in a functional environment he could be ok. I'm comfortable in judging that I do not think Zimmer is going to be a guy that could get this team over the hump, but he could end up with a Marvin Lewis-like tenure where he sticks around a long time for never being truly bad despite also never winning anything.

Then there are the ones like Jay Gruden and Jim Caldwell who I am not impressed with at all and I suspect will join names like Greg Schiano and Jim Schwartz (two other coaches who were not better than Garrett) on the unemployment line relatively quickly.

All in all I'd still say there are a handful that are clearly worse, a dozen or so that are clearly much better, and a bunch of guys in the middle who may have been better or worse at one time or another but if put in this environment wouldn't do measurably better than Garrett has in terms of results.
After all this then I gather your position is that his inability to have a better showing in Dallas is due to Jerry Jones. You seem to think he would do better elsewhere and a lot of us want him elsewhere so the solution for both Dallas and Garrett is go elsewhere. Can I hear it for Garrett going elsewhere? On my mark........

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Do you honestly think that 3 straight years of 8-8 with the amount of talent he was given will have prevented him from being unemployed from the other 31 teams? Only we are saddled with a retard willing to let a HC have 5 years of on the job training. Baltimore certainly would have dumped his ass by now had he taken that job and provided similar results.
Yep. Arguing that Garrett is better because he's employed still and other coaches were fired is yet another retarded defense. Oh, you mean Garrett should have been fired along with all the other shitty coaches if not for our moron owner/GM? Oh.

Genghis Khan

For all your bluster, and smoke and mirrors, you've never given any tangible things that show Garrett is better than the bottom 3rd of coaches. There is actual proof of his shittyness. The rest is all bullshit repeatedly spewed by somebody afraid to admit they were wrong.

You love saying you are only arguing against people calling him worse than he really is. How come you never stuck up for any other player or coach as vehemently as you do for Garrett? Especially since they received the same treatment?

Somebody like Greg Ellis? Or Terrance Newman? Or Mike Jenkins? They certainly didn't live up to their billing, and all three were lambasted on this board. Some of it deserved, but not like they were roasted. But if you're honest with yourself, they all did their jobs better than Garrett has done his. Where was your support for them? Or was it because they didn't receive the Schmitty stamp of approval from jump, so there wasn't the need to defend them to the death?

EXACTLY.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'd take Zimmer here right now as HC. Anyone really. At least you get a sliver of hope with a new HC. I think Zimmer's no nonsense approach would be a breath of fresh air around here after years of Wade and Red.

Genghis Khan

Hell add Zimmer to that list. He was vilified here much more than deserved.

I don't ever remember seeing a "Well, that's simply not true" or whatever from Smitty.

Garrett has certainly earned the vitriol he's getting, but even just considering Smitty's reason for defending Garrett, it doesn't seem to have applied to most of the other vilified players and coaches over the years.

This retarded defense of Garrett is certainly all about Smitty not wanting to admit he was wrong and was duped by Garrett's coachspeak.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Possibly, but our retard puts him and every coach in impossible to succeed positions, too, which again, is another reason you must take into account that he looks worse here than he would anywhere else.

I also repeat that our talent isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be. We've been skilled at QB and have had passing game weapons. For the large majority of the time here our OL has sucked balls (and this year when it didn't, we were what in scoring? 5th? Even adjusted for defensive TDs we again, are not BAD), and our defense is generally awful with glaring personnel holes all over it.

This is not a team that Marvin Lewis walks into and is a Super Bowl contender. It's about a 9-7 team with a lot of early playoff exits.

Is Garrett partially responsible for the state of the roster? Yes, which is one of the reasons he's not good enough to be our head coach.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Hell add Zimmer to that list. He was vilified here much more than deserved.
Good example. And it wasn't just here. Hell, the zone had that retarded G.R.O.Z. club.

I'd even say Zimmer is a better coach than Garrett. He's coached league leading units. He's paid his dues in working his way up to a HC job.

Garrett has... Jerry. He definitely has Jerry.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
For all your bluster, and smoke and mirrors, you've never given any tangible things that show Garrett is better than the bottom 3rd of coaches.
I've given just as much "tangible proof" as you have to show he's in the bottom third.

There is actual proof of his shittyness. The rest is all bullshit repeatedly spewed by somebody afraid to admit they were wrong.
There is proof that he's mismanaged games and that he's not good enough, which I admit. The rest is bullshit spewed by you that he's "the worst in the league" and is pretty laughable. You have no "proof" of that statement either.

How come you never stuck up for any other player or coach as vehemently as you do for Garrett? Especially since they received the same treatment?
Easy.... you are wrong about that. I have stuck up for plenty of players when I felt they were wrongly accused of being bigger problems than they were, look at Marion Barber.

Somebody like Greg Ellis? Or Terrance Newman? Or Mike Jenkins?
Good lord, you just don't even have a fucking clue what you're talking about. I said many times that I thought Mike Jenkins was good enough to be a #1 corner. Terence Newman actually did deserve all the shit he got, so there's that.

I guess I see the problem here.... Garrett is the worst coach in fantasy land just like it's a fantasy land where I've never stuck up for any other players. Um, hello, remember who you are talking to here? I argue this vehemently for lots of things.

They certainly didn't live up to their billing, and all three were lambasted on this board. Some of it deserved, but not like they were roasted. But if you're honest with yourself, they all did their jobs better than Garrett has done his. Where was your support for them? Or was it because they didn't receive the Schmitty stamp of approval from jump, so there wasn't the need to defend them to the death?
Conspiracy theory nonsense, you love to keep going back to this idiocy and I prove you wrong every time you try.

Top Bottom