Archer: Like Pats, Cowboys have to do more with less

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would say Jones already hit lightning in a bottle once with Johnson. Who says he can't get lucky again?
He knew Johnson from a personal relationship and on top of that, Johnson was a very hot commodity. I obviously wasn't paying attention in 1989 to know whether Johnson was thought of as highly as Harbaugh was when he got hired, but I don't think that one really is the same situation as this.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hopefully the Vikings save us from Zimmer.

And that is not a knock on him. He could actually surprise everyone and turn out okay.

We just do not need anyone that has worked for Jerry in the past. That is what a big problem Garrett is.

Jerry is comfortable with him and Garrett is content being called out as a trainee head coach.
Zimmer might be ok in Minnesota, I wouldn't bet on it though.

But he'd fail here. We've already seen his show here. Everyone hated it and wanted him gone.

I guess he'd be great this time around though, and we wouldn't criticize his defense for being "bend but don't break" and then eventually screwing us over.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah I'm all for keeping a guy that has proven he can't handle it. Let's reward that since we don't hold anybody accountable. That's just dumb busisness. You always try to get better and you don't know until you give that opportunity. Unless You are Smitty and omnipotent.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah I'm all for keeping a guy that has proven he can't handle it.
I'm not for "keeping" Garrett, I'm for replacing him with a known upgrade.

I'm also for not spinning my wheels like we've done since Parcells left.

If that takes another season of mediocrity, fucking deal with it. It's the smart move. We're not going anywhere next season (or the next 3 for that matter) if we dumped Garrett and hired Zimmer or Gruden.

You guys have bloodthirst for Garrett right now and it's clouding your vision.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Keep failing is not a smart move no matter how many stipulations you tie to it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm not for "keeping" Garrett, I'm for replacing him with a known upgrade.

I'm also for not spinning my wheels like we've done since Parcells left.

If that takes another season of mediocrity, fucking deal with it. It's the smart move. We're not going anywhere next season (or the next 3 for that matter) if we dumped Garrett and hired Zimmer or Gruden.

You guys have bloodthirst for Garrett right now and it's clouding your vision.
Might as well cut a bunch of salary and tank a year so we can be competitive with the next coach if we're going to keep Mr No Improvement. If we were doing that I could almost understand, but no, we're "going for it".

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No point in reading further if you think sitting on a proven loser coach is ok.
Well there's no real point in this debate at all since you think it's all just a facade to keep Garrett. You'll say anything to try to get rid of him and you aren't willing to realistically look at the situation and what's best here. So I agree until you're willing to concede a few points, as I've done many times.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's a loser mentality. No wonder you are OK with status quo.
Yeah, it's not. It's reality. The best coaches win. We need one of the best. We should be putting ourselves into position to do that above all else.

Unless you are of the Jerry Jones persuasion that just anybody can be the coach.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
He knew Johnson from a personal relationship and on top of that, Johnson was a very hot commodity. I obviously wasn't paying attention in 1989 to know whether Johnson was thought of as highly as Harbaugh was when he got hired, but I don't think that one really is the same situation as this.
Before Johnson it was generally considered that hiring a college coach was retarded, that the college game did not translate to the NFL, even college gods like Holtz and Perkins had failed in the NFL, so Jimmy was not as hot a commodity for the NFL heck most made fun of Jerruh for dumping an icon and going with the college guy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Untrue. Like tanking. Sometimes it's smart.
There is a huge difference between a fan wanting the team to tank for draft picks and the team itself not trying to improve on proven mediocrity.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There is a huge difference between a fan wanting the team to tank for draft picks and the team itself not trying to improve on proven mediocrity.
But I am trying to improve on mediocrity.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, it's not. It's reality. The best coaches win. We need one of the best. We should be putting ourselves into position to do that above all else.

Unless you are of the Jerry Jones persuasion that just anybody can be the coach.
Correct, and keeping Garrett ain't it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Correct, and keeping Garrett ain't it.
Firing him for someone who can't get over the hump ain't it either.

If sitting through another year of 8-8 allowed us to get Rex Ryan instead of Mike Zimmer, clearly that would be the better move.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Firing him for someone who can't get over the hump ain't it either.

If sitting through another year of 8-8 allowed us to get Rex Ryan instead of Mike Zimmer, clearly that would be the better move.
I'd rather go 4-12 after cutting Austin, Ware and some other dead weight with high cap numbers then hire Rex with a lot of cap room and a nice draft pick.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd rather go 4-12 after cutting Austin, Ware and some other dead weight with high cap numbers then hire Rex with a lot of cap room and a nice draft pick.
As opposed to hiring a guy like Zimmer now? Exactly my point.

Suck it up. I'm not saying Garrett is the long time answer here, but this isn't a good coaching crop to choose from. Bide your time, get a winning coach in here. If we were proactive it could have been last year but we weren't. Don't compound the error by pulling the trigger on another average coach now, who will then waste 3-4 more years of our time.

Top Bottom