Archer: Jerry Jones - Not saving DeMarco Murray

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Not saving DeMarco Murray
December, 11, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Earlier in the season Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones expressed the desire to give DeMarco Murray some rest so the running back wouldn't burn out late in the season.

After getting 41 touches -- career highs in carries (32) and catches (nine) -- against the Chicago Bears, all bets are off with three games to go, according to Jones.

"Every down, every possession, every first down has Super Bowl meaning to it, as though you were in the Super Bowl game itself," Jones said. "We're not saving anything for anything."

Murray leads the NFL with 320 carries for 1,606 yards, both career highs. Picking up 2,000 yards remains an option, but he needs just 168 yards to pass Emmitt Smith's team record for yards in a season. Smith had 1,773 yards in 1995.

Jones wondered if that mark would ever be broken, but he has seen the Cowboys change stylistically to the offenses of the 1990s this season.

"I did think that the game was evolving toward passing and that you might have less emphasis, and I saw the running game being shared in general across the league," Jones said. "When I look at the fact that the numbers of running backs that were generally used in a season, then I looked at the emphasis on the passing game. The other thing I thought about is that Emmitt had a quarterback during his career, Troy Aikman, that was really conscious of the best way to win a football game, and as it would turn out then, it was better for him to keep them back, protecting against Novacek and Michael Irvin and if they came up, he was going to throw strikes to them there and that loosened it up for Emmitt to make those yards. Troy was a selfless quarterback that played to that scheme when he could've been passing for 300 and 400 yards a lot more as well."

Dude is all over the place when he talks. One solution: STFU

Top Bottom