Archer: Jerry Jones is too fickle

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones is too fickle
December, 10, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- It's good that Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones believes in Monte Kiffin.

On his radio show on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas Tuesday morning, Jones said, "First of all, he knows what's happening to us better than anyone. And if there are adjustments to be made, he's the right man for the job right now."

Yet after the 45-28 loss to the Chicago Bears on ESPN's "Monday Night Football," Jones was saying the Cowboys must change what they do defensively.

He saw Josh McCown throw for four touchdowns against Kiffin's defense. He saw Kiffin's defense give up 33 first downs and 490 yards. He saw Kiffin's defense allow the Bears to convert on eight of 11 third-down opportunities. If you're scoring at home that's the sixth time teams have converted at least half the time on third down in a game against Kiffin's defense.

Brandon Marshall had 100 receiving yards against Kiffin's defense. Matt Forte had 102 rushing yards against Kiffin's defense.

How does Jones have confidence in what Kiffin is doing?

"Well, I think that you realize you don't have a choice," Jones said immediately after the game. "We can do some things different out there. It's not as safe, but it could be more effective. Maybe get us a turnover when it could have made a difference and change the tide out there. But I'll assure you that we'll be doing some different things up against Green Bay. There'll be a little different cast of players out there up against Green Bay. But they used their assets very effectively, those big receivers, and to the quarterback's credit, he put it on them and we just couldn't defend it."

I'm not a certified decipherer of Jones-ese, but it sounds lile he wants Kiffin to gamble more, to be unsound if necessary. It sounds like he wants Kiffin to be (gulp) more like Rob Ryan. Jones lived in fear of all of the exotic packages Ryan rolled out in 2011 and had the coordinator scale it back in 2012. He thought the players had to think too much and thus reacted slowly. Ryan was fired after last season.

Jones is like Goldilocks looking for the defense that's "just right." That's the problem. His convictions change too conveniently. If Ryan is too blitz happy, he wants to change. If Kiffin is too conservative, he wants to change.

The owner and general manager cannot be that fickle.

Kiffin's scheme has never been built on tricking people. It was built on great players making plays. He had great players playing for him in Tampa Bay. There's a chance three more of them could one day join Warren Sapp in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The defense is built on getting pressure with four players. It is built mostly on zone concepts. The Cowboys can't get pressure with four players right now and their corners play best in man to man, although Monday it did not matter what coverage they played.

The owner has paid a lot of money for pieces that do not fit or have not performed, and the general manager has not got enough pieces for Kiffin's scheme -- or Ryan's scheme -- to work good enough to just be presentable.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Dallas Cowboys have the ability to adjust, ride Tony Romo and the running game to ‘a storybook finish’

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
1:12 pm on December 10, 2013 |

Jerry Jones will be obviously be disappointed if the Dallas Cowboys fall short of winning the NFC East after sitting atop the standings for most of the year.

Tuesday morning, the Cowboys owner and general manager explained at length how much he has invested in this season.

“Well, everything we’ve done this year, there’s been no next year for us,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “The things we’re doing, we’re doing within the maximum ability we have cap-wise, the maximum ability we have.

“For instance, [Anthony] Spencer, re-signing Spencer to the franchise tag, which is a very costly way of doing that. We felt strongly about that. I look back on it and we had better plans in mind for that front four.

“I thought the adjustments we made in the off-season, [offensively] plus a healthy defense would really make a big impact positively for us. That hasn’t worked out, as of right now.”

After mentioning the significant injuries the team has suffered on defense, Jones attempted to find some light at the end of the tunnel. Knowing that a frustrated fan base was listening, Jones took a shot at selling some positive thoughts.

“More importantly, we’re doing better on our offensive line than we were at this time last year,” Jones said. “I think we’re better at receiver. We’re better at running back. I think our quarterback is having a top year. We got to figure out a way on the other side of the ball. By the way, while I’m rambling around here, our special teams are, I think, better than they were at this time last year. I do see improvement.

“We are certainly here at 7-6 and nobody’s grinning about that. That’s not what we wanted to be. But we do have the ability to step out here and put two or three games together, make some adjustments, ride that [Tony] Romo, ride that running game and maybe have a storybook finish.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He's fickle because he doesn't know anything about football and therefore has no guiding principles, he just floats around based on whoever has his ear and whatever looks good at the time.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
And usually the person who has his ear is Lacewell, Switzer or some other proven failure.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The only thing that will change that is a guy who has a total vision for how he wants to build the team and sells Jerry on it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He's fickle because he doesn't know anything about football and therefore has no guiding principles, he just floats around based on whoever has his ear and whatever looks good at the time.
Jones does know something about football. He just doesn't't know enough. He is the epitome of the old saying, "He knows just enough to be dangerous".

Top Bottom