Archer: Jerry Jones' expectations have evolved this season

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones' expectations have evolved this season
December, 16, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Back in August at the Dallas Cowboys’ kickoff luncheon at AT&T Stadium, owner and general manager Jerry Jones offered a realistic take on his team to the crowd in attendance, which was somewhat alarming considering how Jones has used that venue to pump up his team in the past.

“You know we’ve got an uphill battle this year,” Jones said that day.

Now the Cowboys are 10-4, in first place in the NFC East and have a possibility of having homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

After Sunday’s win against the Philadelphia Eagles, Jones spoke in the locker room after the players had cleared out and offered up an interesting take on what has happened this season.

“It just seems like yesterday that we started the season and we were trying to guess what this team could do,” Jones said. “There’s no question that we’ve probably in my view, relative to the prior 8-8 teams that we’ve had, we’ve probably given this team, from talent and personnel, the last chance of having 10 wins of any of the last 3-4 years. The one reason we did it is because we thought we were given the teams over the last few years the best chance to win. It is beyond my expectation when we started the year that we’re sitting here with 10 wins.”

Jones credited the work of Jason Garrett, the staff and the players for their preparation and hard work.

On his Tuesday appearance on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, Jones wasn’t ready to say the Cowboys’ season has been a success whether they make the playoffs or not.

“We have a team that’s good enough not only to be in the playoffs but, in my mind, advance in the playoffs,” Jones said. “Now that we know that, now that we’ve seen it evolve into that, I do want to see what it can do in the tournament. I’m pretty positive about how we’re playing and if we can continue to potentially get a little better - which I think that game in Philadelphia will make us better – and if we continue to have those types of experiences and minimize the health issues, the injury issues, then I’m not ready to say this is a good season no matter what.”

Jones has made quite a jump in the last three-plus months on this team.

Top Bottom