Archer: Jason Garrett ranks in middle of the pack among coaches

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Well I think we should have gone a different direction at 4 but the argument other people use is that if a scrub can put up probowl numbers then a certified stud should be able to put up insane numbers. Of course now people are trying to temper those expectations but so be it. I think the real pitch on Elliott is that he brings other things besides just running ability. As a pass catcher, blitz pickup guy and runner you get the total package.
He also brings scheme versatility. He brings a number of traits that ultimately keeps defenses guessing and off balance. It gives our offense a big advantage.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think it's unfair to expect something like 1700 rushing yards or 2000 total yards out of Elliott since the only way he puts up something like that is if he gets overworked, which we clearly shouldn't want.

If we gave him 392 carries and 57 receptions like we gave Murray in 2014 I'm certain we'd see at least 2000 total yards and upwards of about 2400, nobody in their right mind wants to see Elliott given that kind of workload though. Assuming he gets about 280-300 carries and about 30 catches I think a fair expectation would be somewhere around 1300-1500 rushing yards, 250-300 receiving yards and about 10-12 TD's.

It's important to note that Gurley and Peterson only averaged about 17 or so carries a game in their rookie years, which would be 272 if Elliott plays all 16 games. I think he probably goes beyond that but not by a whole lot.

Anybody expecting over 1500 yards is just setting themselves up for disappointment since that'd mean he had way too many carries or averaged about 5 YPC. I don't think it's impossible that he averages 5 YPC but it's too much to expect that right off the bat.

townsend

Banned
More than a specific yardage milestone, I want Zeke to have an effect, I want the 2014 red zone success back. I want the offense to have multiple dimensions again.

Zeke needs to be a guy that everybody is killing themselves to stop on 2nd and goal. If we get that, I'm satisfied.

data

Forbes #1
Wasn't our 3rd & 1 conversion rate last season one of the worst?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The OL is good but let's face it they aren't supermen. They might make an average back look b better but the can't make an average back into gridiron hero. There are good backs and average backs but it's their talent level that makes them what they are not the OL.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They made a shitty back look decent last season until he lost his head.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He also brings scheme versatility. He brings a number of traits that ultimately keeps defenses guessing and off balance. It gives our offense a big advantage.
Sure it does. Now, if we could only find a coach with enough creativity to use that advantage.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wasn't our 3rd & 1 conversion rate last season one of the worst?
It was terrible. Murray made a major difference here in particular. I look for Morris to improve this and of course Elliott.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
More than a specific yardage milestone, I want Zeke to have an effect, I want the 2014 red zone success back. I want the offense to have multiple dimensions again.

Zeke needs to be a guy that everybody is killing themselves to stop on 2nd and goal. If we get that, I'm satisfied.
Yes, this is a better measure of success, and a very likely one.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is exactly how an NFL rushing attack should be built. I couldn't be happier, especially if Jackson beats out Dunbar. The only thing missing is a nasty fullback, and that position is a dying breed anyways.

Top Bottom