Archer: In Cole Beasley, Ryan Switzer, Cowboys go 'Dak friendly'

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well we crossed wires. I was thought you were saying Romo wasnt brittle.
No problem. Romo is definitely brittle. He never was the "five-year" guy Jones kept calling him.

But it was wasteful not playing him last year, and I definitely think he'd have made a difference in the playoffs.

The coaches for whatever reason handcuffed Dak, and they failed to take the cuffs off in time to beat Green Bay. They wouldn't have limited Romo. They couldn't, which is probably why they favored Dak in the end.

If we have another quarter, we win that game, but the slow start and pick doomed us.

townsend

Banned
No problem. Romo is definitely brittle. He never was the "five-year" guy Jones kept calling him.

But it was wasteful not playing him last year, and I definitely think he'd have made a difference in the playoffs.

The coaches for whatever reason handcuffed Dak, and they failed to take the cuffs off in time to beat Green Bay. They wouldn't have limited Romo. They couldn't, which is probably why they favored Dak in the end.

If we have another quarter, we win that game, but the slow start and pick doomed us.
You are deluded. There were no limits on Dak. He lead the team back from an 18 point deficit, going pass for pass with Aaron Rodgers, the only reason Green Bay won was because they had the ball last. This isn't just cherry picking stats to reinforce a false narrative. This is making up fiction from whole cloth.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You are deluded. There were no limits on Dak. He lead the team back from an 18 point deficit, going pass for pass with Aaron Rodgers, the only reason Green Bay won was because they had the ball last. This isn't just cherry picking stats to reinforce a false narrative. This is making up fiction from whole cloth.
Watch the game again. The bridle was on the offense the first half of the Green Bay game. Most passing plays were safe stuff to Bryant that went nowhere.

townsend

Banned
Watch the game again. The bridle was on the offense the first half of the Green Bay game. Most passing plays were safe stuff to Bryant that went nowhere.
He had multiple deep passes in the first half. 1 in the first drive, 3 in the second, 1 in the 3rd series, two in the 4th series. Up until the 5th drive, nearly half of Dak's attempts were deep passes.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He had multiple deep passes in the first half. 1 in the first drive, 3 in the second, 1 in the 3rd series, two in the 4th series. Up until the 5th drive, nearly half of Dak's attempts were deep passes.
All to Bryan. I didn't say they were short passes. I said safe passes. The passing game was going all to the #1 receiver who was defended like a blanket.

townsend

Banned
All to Bryan. I didn't say thety were short passes. I said safe passes. The passing game was all going to the #1 receiver who was defended like a blanket.
Nope, two were to Butler, 1 was to Williams.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Claiming we weren't conservative to start the game is a fictitious narrative, if anything is.

They didn't take the cuffs off until we were down 21-3.

Then we finally get the bomb to Dez to spark the comeback.

townsend

Banned
I take it then that you don't think the Cowboys play calling was conservative in the first half.
Nope. The Eagles run a conservative offense. We showed, at best, a balanced attack. Conservative teams don't have back to back deep passes on their 2nd drive. Then come out on their 3rd drive and throw a deep pass for Williams on 1st and 10.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Claiming we weren't conservative to start the game is a fictitious narrative, if anything is.

They didn't take the cuffs off until we were down 21-3.

Then we finally get the bomb to Dez to spark the comeback.
Townsend doesn't see it that way. Either the players weren't effective in the first half or the game calling wasn't effective. We see it the same but I guess he will have to conclude the game plan was good and the players were effective but for some reason it didn't equate to points.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nope. The Eagles run a conservative offense. We showed, at best, a balanced attack. Conservative teams don't have back to back deep passes on their 2nd drive. Then come out on their 3rd drive and throw a deep pass for Williams on 1st and 10.
Eagles???

lostxn

DCC 4Life

That is complete garbage. We had two scoring drives blunted by the refs. The Butler crazy-ass call that cost at least 3 points and likely 7. Then Witten getting tackled in the endzone which should have added another 4. I was at that game. What screwed us was poor ref work and a defense that really was outmatched.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The point in response to your post was that he's exactly the opposite of Aikman regarding expectations.

Aikman was a god who arrived on one of the most talentless teams Dallas has ever had. Maybe the most talentless. Despite his obvious skill, his coach went out of his way to replace or at least challenge him with Steve Walsh and Steve Beuerlein.

Dak was seen as a backup who arrived as starter on one of the most talented offensive rosters the Cowboys have ever had. Despite his being a rookie, his coach went out of his way to keep him as starter in favor of an incumbent who was more experienced, a better passer, and was denied even a chance to compete.

So, almost the exact opposite of Aikman.

And as for these RG3 discussions, people are ignoring the context that Daks rookie season was more like RG3 than it was like Aikmans.
You definitely missed what I was saying. Aikman was expected to control the game, rely own his running game, take the ball down the field occasionally and not turn the ball over. Dak did that and more. He had one of the best rookie seasons that you will ever see. When he was asked to push the ball in the playoff game, he did nothing short of delivering. I'm sure he'll hit some bumps but at this point you can't ask for more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is complete garbage. We had two scoring drives blunted by the refs. The Butler crazy-ass call that cost at least 3 points and likely 7. Then Witten getting tackled in the endzone which should have added another 4. I was at that game. What screwed us was poor ref work and a defense that really was outmatched.
No kidding, some people on here have no idea what happened in that game apparently.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You realize you took it a step tooo far. What QB has been more brittle in recent memory?
Not at all. The point being, if he was as brittle as you claim, he wouldn't have been able to take nearly as many big shots as he did. And like I said, he eventually wore down just like ANYBODY else would have.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not at all. The point being, if he was as brittle as you claim, he wouldn't have been able to take nearly as many big shots as he did. And like I said, he eventually wore down just like ANYBODY else would have.
He never could get back what he had from playing just one year. He got hurt every year after that and was benched. There have been QBs that have taken more punishment, Aikman for example.

When one year basically does you in, I think you have to be open to the idea he was brittle.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Both teams were holding a lot so I'm not sure I buy the Witten non-call cost points. I completely agree the Butler call was a major blunder if not outright cause for investigation.

But attacking GB with the same game plan we had during the reg season was conservative.

Tthe Packers D is built to disrupt the multi-play, ball control approach we earlier used very effectively.

Where was the innovation?

Where was the magic we unleashed vs Detroit when Dak & co. dropped 40+?

Top Bottom