Archer - Five Wonders: Cowboys CB roles

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Five Wonders: Cowboys CB roles

September, 16, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – It's time for Five Wonders as the Dallas Cowboys keep their historic run at four straight 8-8 finishes in place with Sunday's win against the Tennessee Titans.

In this segment, we'll wonder more about just the final record for the forever .500 Cowboys.

Away we go:

•With Orlando Scandrick due back this week once the NFL and NFL Players Association finalize their agreement on a new drug policy, I wonder what happens to Morris Claiborne. Jason Garrett likes to say the best players will play, regardless of where they came from or how much they are paid. This will be a true test. If the Cowboys are going to evaluate players on the merits of what they do, then Sterling Moore does not deserve to go to the bench. Moore was one of the Cowboys' best defenders against the Titans. He was aggressive in coverage. Scandrick was the Cowboys' best cornerback in 2013 and perhaps he gets worked back into the lineup slowly after missing the first two weeks of the season due to his suspension but his absence wasn't so prolonged that he couldn't play at least a full-time nickel defense role. Claiborne missed a chance at an interception and failed to wrap up Delanie Walker on what turned into a 61-yard touchdown.

•Speaking of Walker, he had 10 catches for 142 yards against the Cowboys. He was able to exploit the middle of the field, but he also took advantage of J.J. Wilcox in coverage a few times. The Cowboys will face a bevy of good tight ends this season and Jimmy Graham of the New Orleans Saints is looming in two weeks. This week they get the St. Louis Rams' Jared Cook, who has eight catches for 102 yards in two games and caught five passes for 44 yards last year against the Cowboys. The Cowboys will also see Brent Celek and Zach Ertz of the Philadelphia Eagles, Martellus Bennett of the Chicago Bears, Zach Miller of the Seattle Seahawks as well as Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener of the Indianapolis Colts. If defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is looking to tighten up one area of concern, it should be defending the tight end.

•Jason Witten caught at least 60 passes in 10 of his first 11 seasons, topping out with an NFL record for a tight end 110 receptions in 2012.He has had at least 70 catches in the last seven seasons. In 15 games with Tony Romo last season, Witten caught 61 passes. He got over the 70-catch mark with Kyle Orton looking at him 12 times for 135 yards in the season finale against the Eagles. I wonder if we see an end to Witten's 70-catch streak. After two games, Witten has six catches for 46 yards. It's entirely too early to extrapolate those numbers over a 16-game season (48 catches by the way), but with the emphasis on the running game, Witten might not get as many chances this year. And if the pass protection does not improve, he could be asked to help keep Romo upright more in the passing game than to be his normal security blanket.

•I wonder if Dan Bailey is taken for granted. The Cowboys understand his importance. They gave him a seven-year, $22.5 million contract in the offseason and were chided by several who couldn't believe they committed that kind of coin to a kicker. Those people were evidently unaware at just how many close games the Cowboys have played the last few years and needed Bailey to kick either tying or winning field goals late in the fourth quarters. Bailey has made 26 field goal attempts in a row and will have a chance to tie or break the team record of 27 set by Chris Boniol in 1996 this week inside the Edward Jones Dome.

•Let's keep it on a special teams' bent here for a second wonder. I wonder if Bruce Carter will block a punt this season. He had a blocked punt taken away from him in the preseason against the Miami Dolphins because the officials incorrectly asserted the Cowboys lined up illegally. Against the Titans, Carter deflected a Brett Kern punt in the first quarter. The ball still traveled 41 yards, which was somewhat amazing, but Carter has shown a knack for getting around the corner quickly. In case you were wondering, Carter has the Cowboys' most recent blocked punt. It came Dec. 24, 2011, against the Eagles. After searching for the proper role for Carter, maybe the Cowboys have found one: designated punt blocker.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
boozeman said:
If the Cowboys are going to evaluate players on the merits of what they do, then Sterling Moore does not deserve to go to the bench
Fact.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Moore played well but I don't think he outplayed Claiborne who had a good game also.

I am excited to get Scandrick back he looked great in preseason and has finally started to make plays on the ball.

I see us using a CB on TE's as the season moves along and particularly against NO, so I see all of them getting a lot of playing time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
•With Orlando Scandrick due back this week once the NFL and NFL Players Association finalize their agreement on a new drug policy, I wonder what happens to Morris Claiborne. Jason Garrett likes to say the best players will play, regardless of where they came from or how much they are paid. This will be a true test. If the Cowboys are going to evaluate players on the merits of what they do, then Sterling Moore does not deserve to go to the bench. Moore was one of the Cowboys' best defenders against the Titans. He was aggressive in coverage. Scandrick was the Cowboys' best cornerback in 2013 and perhaps he gets worked back into the lineup slowly after missing the first two weeks of the season due to his suspension but his absence wasn't so prolonged that he couldn't play at least a full-time nickel defense role. Claiborne missed a chance at an interception and failed to wrap up Delanie Walker on what turned into a 61-yard touchdown.
I actually think Claiborne had a pretty good game. He dropped the INT but you have to give credit to the defender who did a great job of ripping that ball free. This wasn't a standard brick hands situation like we have seen so many times with Scandrick. He missed the tackle on Walker but it wasn't his man to cover on that play. At least he attempted to make the tackle while our safeties basically froze and did nothing on that play. Someone will have to hit the bench for most of the game, I'm just not sure which of the 4 that is yet.

Cotton

Staff member
Moore played well but I don't think he outplayed Claiborne who had a good game also.

I am excited to get Scandrick back he looked great in preseason and has finally started to make plays on the ball.

I see us using a CB on TE's as the season moves along and particularly against NO, so I see all of them getting a lot of playing time.
He absolutely outplayed Claiborne. I saw only one pass the entire game that Moore got beat on. Claiborne got beat numerous times, dropped an easy INT and soft shouldered a tackle that allowed a TD. The only reason he didn't look worse is because Locker was terrible in the first half and missed his receivers.

Cotton

Staff member
I actually think Claiborne had a pretty good game. He dropped the INT but you have to give credit to the defender who did a great job of ripping that ball free. This wasn't a standard brick hands situation like we have seen so many times with Scandrick. He missed the tackle on Walker but it wasn't his man to cover on that play. At least he attempted to make the tackle while our safeties basically froze and did nothing on that play. Someone will have to hit the bench for most of the game, I'm just not sure which of the 4 that is yet.
Claiborne had a decent game. I wouldn't at all call what he did a pretty good game. Yeah, Walker wasn't his man, but I guess dog gone it, he tried.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Claiborne did not have a good game.

He was decent at best and that awful attempt at a tackle was far more significant than any positive plays he made which weren't many.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Claiborne did not have a good game.

He was decent at best and that awful attempt at a tackle was far more significant than any positive plays he made which weren't many.
Dropped INT too.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He absolutely outplayed Claiborne. I saw only one pass the entire game that Moore got beat on. Claiborne got beat numerous times, dropped an easy INT and soft shouldered a tackle that allowed a TD. The only reason he didn't look worse is because Locker was terrible in the first half and missed his receivers.
I think you're overstating it. Claiborne played a pretty good game. Yeah, he f'd up on that weak tackle attempt on Walker. But claiming he dropped an easy INT is just looking for something to complain about. The WR made a good play on the ball, knocking it away.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dropped INT too.
He was in perfect position on the play and the WR ripped the ball out. It was a very good play by Claiborne. To point that out as a negative seems silly.

I get it, everyone hates Claiborne, but I think people should still be able to give credit where credit is due. His coverage was good all game long.

Yes he did allow a player to break a tackle. Happens all the time in the NFL. Especially when he was in an awkward position breaking off the man he is covering to try and make a play that someone else already blew.

Cotton

Staff member
I think you're overstating it. Claiborne played a pretty good game. Yeah, he f'd up on that weak tackle attempt on Walker. But claiming he dropped an easy INT is just looking for something to complain about. The WR made a good play on the ball, knocking it away.
A good CB makes that INT. Regardless, he was beaten many times throughout the game, and was saved by Locker's ineptitude. He did not have a pretty good game.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
A good CB makes that INT. Regardless, he was beaten many times throughout the game, and was saved by Locker's ineptitude. He did not have a pretty good game.
:lol

Ok.

Cotton

Staff member
He was in perfect position on the play and the WR ripped the ball out. It was a very good play by Claiborne. To point that out as a negative seems silly.

I get it, everyone hates Claiborne, but I think people should still be able to give credit where credit is due. His coverage was good all game long.

Yes he did allow a player to break a tackle. Happens all the time in the NFL. Especially when he was in an awkward position breaking off the man he is covering to try and make a play that someone else already blew.
Uhh, no it wasn't. He got beaten many times. I can remember at least twice a pass was overthrown over the middle to a guy that just beat Claiborne like a drum. That's not to include the passes he got beat that were completed.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So this a negative for Claiborne and a positive for Moore?

Cotton

Staff member
So this a negative for Claiborne and a positive for Moore?
From what I saw, Moore didn't get beat on any of the poor passes. I only saw one play that Moore got beat on and it was a deep pass to around the 5.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Name all these times he was beaten because I sure did not see them.

Jiggyfly

Banned
From what I saw, Moore didn't get beat on any of the poor passes. I only saw one play that Moore got beat on and it was a deep pass to around the 5.
:lol

Ok so name all of these plays Claiborne was beat on, I saw Carr benefitting most from the bad passes.

Cotton

Staff member
Name all these times he was beaten because I sure did not see them.
Go back and watch it. Your go to is always, "You show me these things you are claiming" because there is no way to reasonably respond to that except to tell you I saw it. He was beaten down the field on at least two plays I can remember because I remember even posting in the chatter thread that he got beat. I also posted the one time that Moore got beaten.

Top Bottom