Archer: DL is where Cowboys should copy Seattle

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't say that at all. The point more was that, to me anyways, this is a tough class to get healthy on.
I don't see this as a bad draft for D lineman at all. Overall this is a tremendously talented draft if anything.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This might not be a great DL draft overall, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it given our needs/scheme. There are two tailor made DT's for this scheme available in Jernigan and Donald while Nix is a legit top 20 prospect even if some people don't think he's a great schematic fit (I would disagree). Then you have guys like Hageman and Tuitt who could play 4-3 or 3-4, and a couple of intriguing DT's available in the 2nd-3rd area in Sutton, Easley and such.

At DE you have Ealy who is another legit top 20 prospect and a litany of guys who could go in the 2nd-4th area who I think could be contributors in Scott Crichton, Michael Sam, Chris Smith, Jackson Jeffcoat, Marcus Smith and Kareem Martin.

So basically we have 3 guys who are legit top 20 or so prospects in Jernigan, Donald and Ealy (perhaps Nix as well but I won't include him for now) and then a solid group of 8-10 guys who would be nice 2nd or 3rd round picks. There is no excuse for not coming out of this draft with at least 2 solid prospects on the DL.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
"Everywhere" is where the Cowboys should copy Seattle.
This is the right answer. I'd argue that it's more important for Dallas to copy Seattle's ownership and general management.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is the right answer. I'd argue that it's more important for Dallas to copy Seattle's ownership and general management.
Can't copy something that will never ever happen.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Let's face it. Anything we try to copy turns out like the retarded clone of the clone in Multiplicity.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That was a walk off, Bipo. :lol

Take the rest of the day off.

data

Forbes #1
Too bad nobody on the Seahawks fits our scheme, Shariff Floyd-style

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Too bad nobody on the Seahawks fits our scheme, Shariff Floyd-style
Actually some do. But most will get the Jimmie Jones treatment in free agency. Buyer beware.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Seattle won because their coach whipped them into a frenzy. Carroll has done a masterful job, and it all started when he benched Matt Flynn in favor of Wilson.

He had the team from that moment.

Forget how they were built, they are almost to a man a bunch of mid round players who never felt entitled to anything.

Their top draft picks, Unger, Irvin, Thomas, and Wagner are good but not overwhelming by any stretch.

Their free agents are good, but not so good they could get a better deal elsewhere.

No, Denver hot beat by a less-talented but far better team.

Seattles players play hard for each other and they play hard on every play. Imagine that. They attacked Denver's OL. They blanketed their receivers and hit them whenever they could. Everyone on offense did their fucking jobs.

They fucking studied film, they were ready to god damned play, and they're not god damned stupid.

Imagine that.

It's fucking simple, and no matter what Jerry Jones does he can't put a team together like that. Dallas has to win another way, and that's a fucking shame.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Seattle won because their coach whipped them into a frenzy. Carroll has done a masterful job, and it all started when he benched Matt Flynn in favor of Wilson.

He had the team from that moment.

Forget how they were built, they are almost to a man a bunch of mid round players who never felt entitled to anything.

Their top draft picks, Unger, Irvin, Thomas, and Wagner are good but not overwhelming by any stretch.

Their free agents are good, but not so good they could get a better deal elsewhere.

No, Denver hot beat by a less-talented but far better team.

Seattles players play hard for each other and they play hard on every play. Imagine that. They attacked Denver's OL. They blanketed their receivers and hit them whenever they could. Everyone on offense did their fucking jobs.

They fucking studied film, they were ready to god damned play, and they're not god damned stupid.

Imagine that.

It's fucking simple, and no matter what Jerry Jones does he can't put a team together like that. Dallas has to win another way, and that's a fucking shame.
Well fucking said.

:unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This might not be a great DL draft overall, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it given our needs/scheme. There are two tailor made DT's for this scheme available in Jernigan and Donald while Nix is a legit top 20 prospect even if some people don't think he's a great schematic fit (I would disagree). Then you have guys like Hageman and Tuitt who could play 4-3 or 3-4, and a couple of intriguing DT's available in the 2nd-3rd area in Sutton, Easley and such.
Quarles is a name that you don't hear getting much love but who had a terrific season. 9.5 sacks as a DT in the SEC is pretty impressive. He is built perfect to be the three technique in our defense at 6'4" 298 lbs. Of course he played next to Clowney so the concern is his production is a result of the offense worrying about someone else. I could see his stock rise though because he has the build of a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT. I think he can easily play in either defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They invested money and draft picks, in numbers to sign players like McDaniel, Bennett and Avril in free agency. They traded for McDonald. They drafted replacements last April for who they will lose on the DL in free agency with a third (Jordan Hill) and a fifth (Jesse Williams). All of these were paired with Mebane, Clemons and Bryant.

Our investment in the DL? Paying out the ass for Ware, franchising Spencer twice, drafting Tyrone Crawford in the second round two years ago. Our drafted DL in the last five plus years are Hatcher eight years ago, a supplemental pick on Josh Brent in 2010 and Sean Lissemore in the seventh in 2010 who we dumped because he did not fit the scheme (after signing to a decent extension). Everyone else on the roster on the DL to start the season was an undrafted free agent.
By the way I totally agree that we need to invest heavily in the D-line this year. If we used all of our draft picks on the D-line and safety I would have no problem. That's how bad and thin we are at those positions. Plus Dallas's secondary is set other then FS. So the clear next step is to build the D-line. We really don't have anywhere to go unless you think more cover LBers will fix our horrific pass defense.

It's just funny that a defense that has the best secondary in the NFL is trying to be portrayed as a team that has been built around their stud's on the D-line.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Quarles is a name that you don't hear getting much love but who had a terrific season. 9.5 sacks as a DT in the SEC is pretty impressive. He is built perfect to be the three technique in our defense at 6'4" 298 lbs. Of course he played next to Clowney so the concern is his production is a result of the offense worrying about someone else. I could see his stock rise though because he has the build of a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT. I think he can easily play in either defense.
Yea Quarles too, I mentioned him in the underclassmen thread but forgot him here, he'd be a solid 2nd-3rd as well although I have the same concern about him playing next to Clowney.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
By the way I totally agree that we need to invest heavily in the D-line this year. If we used all of our draft picks on the D-line and safety I would have no problem. That's how bad and thin we are at those positions. Plus Dallas's secondary is set other then FS. So the clear next step is to build the D-line. We really don't have anywhere to go unless you think more cover LBers will fix our horrific pass defense.

It's just funny that a defense that has the best secondary in the NFL is trying to be portrayed as a team that has been built around their stud's on the D-line.
We do need to cover our ass with an OLB who can cover in case Carter is gone mentally.

Kelvin Smith would be nice.

Top Bottom