Archer: Demetress Bell in Cowboys' plans

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Demetress Bell in Cowboys' plans

Updated: July 19, 2013, 12:16 PM ET
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Dallas Cowboys intend to fill one of their four roster openings once they get to California with veteran offensive tackle Demetress Bell, according to a source.

Bell, who started five games last year in Philadelphia, would have to pass a physical before the deal becomes official.

He signed a five-year deal with the Eagles last year worth nearly $35 million but was released in February in a salary-cap move. The Cowboys had been in contact with Bell's agent as they worked through Doug Free's pay cut earlier in the spring and finally came to an agreement.

Bell, 6-foot-5 and 311 pounds, gives the Cowboys a veteran option as a backup at either tackle spot. He started 35 of the 40 games he played for Buffalo and Philadelphia. Free, who will earn $3.5 million this year, and Jermey Parnell will compete for Dallas' starting right tackle spot opposite Tyron Smith.

The Cowboys could also parlay one of their veterans into a trade opportunity depending on how things play out toward the end of camp.

The Cowboys also plan to sign quarterback Alex Tanney and wide receiver Lavasier Tuinei, who worked out for the team Tuesday, once they get settled in Oxnard. Tanney signed with Kansas City as an undrafted free agent out of Monmouth (Ill.) College but was cut in May. Tuinei spent time last year in Seattle and was cut by Cincinnati earlier this spring.

If those players pass their physicals, then the Cowboys would have one roster spot remaining from Josh Brent's retirement on Thursday.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He was terrible in Philly last year and had apparent problems learning the blocking scheme. Hopefully Bell plays more like he did in Buffalo under Callahan, but I'd almost rather start Parnell and just cut Free at this point. Bell can't be any worse. Unfortunately we won't be able to tell, not really, until the real pass rush starts against the Giants.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He is worth a look...actually think bringing him in is a good move.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I doubt he is coming in for a lot of money...insurance only because he has started. Not expecting much.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I love that trade line. :lol

Yeah right.

junk

Not So New Member
I'm not expecting much either, but......if this is a low cost move, I think he's a good guy to bring in and kick the tires on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Trick shot QB instead of Padron. My source was joking with me again. That guy...whotta kidder.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm not expecting much either, but......if this is a low cost move, I think he's a good guy to bring in and kick the tires on.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Jerry will probably try and trade Parnell so poor little Doug Free doesn't have to worry about anyone taking his job.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm just looking forward to seeing Karl Malone on the sidelines if he makes the team...maybe he will bring his mom too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
One move is solid and the other is exceptional. We are so lucky to have signed that trick shot QB...

There really is no downside to the Demetress Bell signing. He has to be better then any undrafted slug we could sign at this point. Maybe he can provide solid depth or maybe we just end up cutting him. I have to be happy we at least churned the O-line a little.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
One move is solid and the other is exceptional. We are so lucky to have signed that trick shot QB...

There really is no downside to the Demetress Bell signing. He has to be better then any undrafted slug we could sign at this point. Maybe he can provide solid depth or maybe we just end up cutting him. I have to be happy we at least churned the O-line a little.
It desperately needs it, and unfortunately some who need churning the most are Jerry's made men.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Bell was beyond terrible in Philly last season. They couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

This would be the equivalent of another team signing Free and thinking it was a good move simply because he's a vet and has started some games.

The fact that THIS is who the team was looking to fall back on if Free didn't play ball, when guys like Clabo and Winston were still available tells me all I need to know about the idiocy of the front office. Bell will be this year's Alex Barron.

It's just a shame because we had a real chance to upgrade this position cheaply but we couldn't be bothered and instead screw around with chumps like Bell and Free.

I mean, the Eagles signed Bell to a 5 year 35 million dollar contract year cut him less than a year later. What does that tell you about just how bad Bell was? Difference is they wisely moved on from their mistake. We just gave ours a paycut then on top of that apparently are going to take on their mistake too. Is there any question why teams like the Eagles have been more successful than us the past 13 years?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Bell was beyond terrible in Philly last season. They couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

This would be the equivalent of another team signing Free and thinking it was a good move simply because he's a vet and has started some games.

The fact that THIS is who the team was looking to fall back on if Free didn't play ball, when guys like Clabo and Winston were still available tells me all I need to know about the idiocy of the front office. Bell will be this year's Alex Barron.

It's just a shame because we had a real chance to upgrade this position cheaply but we couldn't be bothered and instead screw around with chumps like Bell and Free.

I mean, the Eagles signed Bell to a 5 year 35 million dollar contract year cut him less than a year later. What does that tell you about just how bad Bell was? Difference is they wisely moved on from their mistake. We just gave ours a paycut then on top of that apparently are going to take on their mistake too. Is there any question why teams like the Eagles have been more successful than us the past 13 years?
Nope.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They also cut him with $9.5 million due in 2013. But unlike Free, he couldn't hold them hostage because they structured the deal perfectly.

Contrast that with guys like Free who can hold Jerry and Goof Son over a barrel until they play a stupid game of chicken and you can seen the difference.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=2]Lolz: Demetress Bell reportedly bringing his special brand of awfulness to Dallas[/h]By Jimmy Kempski on Jul 19 2013, 12:25p

Demetress Bell was not just awful last season in Philly. He was specifically awful against Dallas.

According to Todd Archer of ESPN Dallas, the Cowboys intend on signing Demetress Bell, per a source.
Demetress Bell was not just awful last season in Philly. He was specifically awful against Dallas.

Here's Bell with the easiest holding call ever:

Here's Bell yelling "Look out!!!" after Victor Butler smokes him en route to destroying Nick Foles:

And here's Bell making sure nobody steps on the "G" in the Eagles end zone, while Nick Foles gets sandwiched:

Jerry Jones, please live to be 150.

Top Bottom