Archer: DeMarco Murray's game filled with dirty yards

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DeMarco Murray's game filled with dirty yards
December, 15, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

PHILADELPHIA -- If DeMarco Murray's hand was seriously injured, the Dallas Cowboys' running back did a good job of hiding it after the 38-27 win against the Philadelphia Eagles.

He did not have it bandaged or covered in ice and one hand had a travel bag and another a gym bag as he walked to the team buses.

Murray did not reach 100 yards against the Eagles, but he was able to grind out 81 yards on 31 carries while scoring two touchdowns, picking up the dirty yards as coach Jason Garrett calls them.

“It was a damn good D-line, a damn good defense,” Murray said. “These kind of games, you’ve just got to fight and claw. They won a couple of times but we were able to get a couple wins as well.”

The Eagles limited Murray to 73 yards on 23 carries on Thanksgiving, a season-low. Philadelphia was not going to let him do to it what he did to the Chicago Bears last week -- 179 yards on 32 carries. They stacked the front to slow him down, which also played a part in Dez Bryant's big day in the passing game.

“Sometimes you’ve got to try a little harder. Sometimes you got to get what you can and move on,” Murray said. “But they’re a good defense. I thought we ran it well at times.”

Murray has 1,687 yards through 14 games, the most in team history and the 13th most in NFL history. His chances of a 2,000-yard season took a hit, but he is 87 yards away from breaking Emmitt Smith’s single-season team mark of 1,773 yards, set in 1995.

If his hand checks out OK, he could surpass that mark in Week 16 against the Indianapolis Colts. In his first three seasons Murray missed 11 games with ankle, foot and knee injuries. So far this season he has proven to be durable.

“I’m good,” Murray said. “I’m good.”

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Injury free, and also fumble free for over a month.

Hopefully those both remain true for the next month.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Injury free, and also fumble free for over a month.

Hopefully those both remain true for the next month.
I think we are starting to see some signs of wearing down, he seems to be stumbling a lot more and the burst seems to be missing.

I think Randle needs to get about 3 whole series a game in the next 2.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think we are starting to see some signs of wearing down, he seems to be stumbling a lot more and the burst seems to be missing.

I think Randle needs to get about 3 whole series a game in the next 2.
Its been nice knowing you.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I do see a back with an empty tank right now.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The guy had roughly 220 yards of total offense against the Bears.

I don't see him slowing down, I just think Philly's line got the better of our line this season.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The guy had roughly 220 yards of total offense against the Bears.

I don't see him slowing down, I just think Philly's line got the better of our line this season.
I am not saying he is done but even in the Bears game he left some yards on the field.

I just want him to have that extra gear and balance come playoff time if we get there.

Carp

DCC 4Life
So the tank has to be empty for him to be slowing down?:lol
Not sure what you are trolling about...I see a worn down back, slower than he has been than earlier in the season.

Rev

Staff member
Not sure what you are trolling about...I see a worn down back, slower than he has been than earlier in the season.
Lol. You were agreeing with him and he wants to debate you.

Rev

Staff member
I've been calling for more involvement from the other backs since they started pounding Murray. The rushing records are nice but we are going to need fresh legs going forward.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's probably best not to play him against Indy, or at least do so sparingly with a cast.
I'd be fine with that as long as they don't go with a 10-rushing-attempts gameplan. Trust the line to get Randle some yards.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No. I think Murray was slow to the hole yesterday and has been leaving yards on the field of late.
Murray was the first to say that Philly had a very good D-line.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd be fine with that as long as they don't go with a 10-rushing-attempts gameplan. Trust the line to get Randle some yards.
They must run even if it means getting under 2 yards. They can win that way with a healthy Romo.

I worry with Free, Murray, and Martin all hurt, though. The combination might be enough to risk losing this game. With a healthy Dallas running game, I don't think Indy could win.

Top Bottom