Archer: Dallas Cowboys work out QB Mike Kafka

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys work out QB Mike Kafka

February, 6, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- For the second time in two offseasons the Dallas Cowboys have shown an interest in quarterback Mike Kafka.

Kafka worked out for the Cowboys on Thursday, as did wide receivers Braylon Bell andMaurice Williams, who spent time in the Arena Football League in 2013.

The Cowboys made a waiver claim on Kafka last June after he was cut by the New England Patriots, but because the Jacksonville Jaguars had priority in the waiver process he went there. A fourth-round pick by the Philadelphia Eagles in 2010, Kafka was out of football last year after he was cut by the Jaguars.

The Cowboys have two quarterbacks under contract for 2014 in Tony Romo, whose recovery from back surgery is on schedule, and Kyle Orton, who could be caught in a salary-cap purge or asked to restructure.

Bell is a South Oak Cliff grad and played at Abilene Christian. Williams spent time with theIndianapolis Colts last summer.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Probably planning on Romo missing a lot of the preseason/offseason. Makes sense they will want arms in camp.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys preparing for no Tony Romo

February, 6, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The indications are Tony Romo is progressing well from back surgery and should be ready to go for offseason workouts.

That's the word from Valley Ranch on Thursday.

However, something else happened in the cold and snowy weather on Thursday.

Quarterback Mike Kafka worked out for team officials with wide receivers Braylon Bell and Maurice Williams. Currently, the Cowboys have two quarterbacks on the roster, Romo and Kyle Orton, a bunch of 30-something veterans with a 178 starts combined on their resumes.

Signing Kafka as the No. 3 quarterback wouldn't be a bad idea. There is nothing wrong with having a player such as Kafka, a former fourth-round pick by the Philadelphia Eagles, on the roster.

But does it mean Romo won't be ready for offseason workouts and the Cowboys are protecting themselves in case that happens?

If that's the case, there's nothing wrong with that.

The Cowboys need contingency plans should Romo get a setback during his rehab. It seems Romo is fine, for now, and should be ready.

I just remember Romo coming back from cyst surgery last year and missing some offseason workouts and returning to training camp a little heavy because he couldn't do his conditioning.

Romo played well last season but at some point he injured his back and it ended up betraying him in the Week 16 game at Washington. Romo has always been one of the toughest guys on the team and his commitment shouldn't be questioned.

The issue for the Cowboys is life without Romo.

Orton is more than a suitable replacement should Romo fail to be ready for the regular- season opener in September. The Cowboys need to make a decision about having three quarterbacks on the 53-man roster and if it's worth doing.

The Cowboys have a franchise quarterback coming off back surgery and having someone younger at No. 3 isn't a bad thing. Alex Tanney was on the practice squad last year until Cleveland snagged him away.

Kafka isn't a practice squad quarterback, he's somebody you need to throw passes in offseason workouts and quite possibly keep on the 53-man roster when the season starts.

But you do all this if you don't believe Romo will be ready, right?

The Cowboys believe Romo will be ready to start the season. If he's not ready there's nothing wrong with having a second option.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Okay.

We bring in a guy that was cut by Jacksonville. I remember him in philly a little bit, but nothing stands out. Would rather draft a qb in the hopes of actually developing him.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Probably planning on Romo missing a lot of the preseason/offseason. Makes sense they will want arms in camp.
If that's what they think, then we need to be drafting someone with real potential, not grabbing shit off the street and hoping we don't have to play them.

Cotton

Staff member
Okay.

We bring in a guy that was cut by Jacksonville. I remember him in philly a little bit, but nothing stands out. Would rather draft a qb in the hopes of actually developing him.
Whatever. You actually want to develop a guy just for someone else to take him from us and stuff?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If that's what they think, then we need to be drafting someone with real potential, not grabbing shit off the street and hoping we don't have to play them.
Jerry would roll with Orton to start the season, once he's paid money for something he assumes it will come through for him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Whatever. You actually want to develop a guy just for someone else to take him from us and stuff?
You are absolutely right. This move tells me that they are planning on having Romo at full strength but need someone who can sling the ball to the receivers while Romo gets to ful strength. No need to spend resources to in turn loose them to someone else after roster cuts.

Cotton

Staff member
You are absolutely right. This move tells me that they are planning on having Romo at full strength but need someone who can sling the ball to the receivers while Romo gets to ful strength. No need to spend resources to in turn loose them to someone else after roster cuts.
I was actually being facetious about a comment made about Teh J. He said there was no reason to draft a QB and develop him just for someone else just to take.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I was actually being facetious about a comment made about Teh J. He said there was no reason to draft a QB and develop him just for someone else just to take.
Regardless it is correct ( IMO). Nice to see you aligned with J.J. though.

Cotton

Staff member
Regardless it is correct ( IMO). Nice to see you aligned with J.J. though.
I don't agree with Jerry. That was kinda the point of the facetious statement. I think we should be drafting a QB every year to develop. If we can develop one and don't need him then we can trade him and get more picks for future drafts. That method has been employed my many successful franchises with good results. We should be doing the same. Not just to try to get picks, but also to be ready when Romo is done. Which isn't long from now.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't agree with Jerry. That was kinda the point of the facetious statement. I think we should be drafting a QB every year to develop. If we can develop one and don't need him then we can trade him and get more picks for future drafts. That method has been employed my many successful franchises with good results. We should be doing the same. Not just to try to get picks, but also to be ready when Romo is done. Which isn't long from now.
I see it differently. Project QBs are generally an exercise in futility. I know there are some that work out even Romo himself is an example but for the most part they stay projects. Now by development if you mean pick up one in the draft that has potential toward becoming a starter then I would take the position that this would not be something you do every year because it is a waste. That pick will carry a cupboard most of his career and you could be depriving the team of a needed player.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kafka worked out for the Cowboys on Thursday, as did wide receivers Braylon Bell andMaurice Williams, who spent time in the Arena Football League in 2013.
Get used to more of this waste of time worthless crap from the Arena League since McClay has been given more stroke.

Cotton

Staff member
I see it differently. Project QBs are generally an exercise in futility. I know there are some that work out even Romo himself is an example but for the most part they stay projects. Now by development if you mean pick up one in the draft that has potential toward becoming a starter then I would take the position that this would not be something you do every year because it is a waste. That pick will carry a cupboard most of his career and you could be depriving the team of a needed player.
I don't agree that a 6th round pick on a QB is a waste. The potential is much higher for that to develop into something tradeable/useable than a 6th round RB.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't agree that a 6th round pick on a QB is a waste. The potential is much higher for that to develop into something tradeable/useable than a 6th round RB.
I had rather have someone that was a special teamer in the 6 th than a project QB but that's just my position.

Cotton

Staff member
I had rather have someone that was a special teamer in the 6 th than a project QB but that's just my position.
Then actually you are the one that sides with JJ.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Regardless, we need to draft a qb.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Regardless, we need to draft a qb.
It's not the old days when you get to draft someone and keep them forever. By the time we're dong screwing with Romo anyone we draft will be nearly a free agent.

Top Bottom