Archer: Dallas Cowboys 53-man roster projection (07/23/15)

dallen

Senior Tech
I think you could make the argument about any position on the roster. If Church goes down, we are screwed. If Romo goes down, we are screwed. If Frederick goes down, we are screwed. When Lee goes down, we are screwed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think you could make the argument about any position on the roster. If Church goes down, we are screwed. If Romo goes down, we are screwed. If Frederick goes down, we are screwed. When Lee goes down, we are screwed.
I'd say the dropoff from Church to Heath is not great because Church himself is average.

The dropoff from Dez to Beasley is monstrous. That guy can't play on the outside at all, and going from Williams to Whitehead is definitely NOT Lucky.

My standard is the Packers who are IMO the NFL's best team. That's what we want to be.

They lose Cobb or Nelson and Adams is poised to step up on the outside. He can play any position and is only in the slot because two more experienced players of equal pedigree are ahead of him on the depth chart.

You could picture Adams starting or even being a #1 one day, and he's the Packers' third guy.

Dallas has no one to step up because we don't have a WR development pipeline to speak of.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Do you guys realize that Romo took some schlub named Laurent Robinson, who had a combined 1,000 yards and 4 TD's in 4 years in the NFL, and got him to produce 54/858/11 in less than 16 games despite the fact that he didn't join the team until training camp was nearly over in 2011?

This comparison to the Packers WR's is fundamentally flawed because they don't have a TE like Witten who eats up targets and has such a great rapport with their QB. If you took Witten out of our offense I can guarantee you guys like Williams and Beasley would have much better stats.

Basically, as long as we have Dez and Witten I don't really worry about Romo being able to get guys like Beasley, Street or even Escobar to produce in the absence of a guy like Williams. Sure it would suck but if a guy is willing to do what Romo wants him to do he can take a complete schlub and make him productive.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
My standard is the Packers who are IMO the NFL's best team. That's what we want to be.
:lol

And I guess your standard for OL is the cowboys, for DL the Bills, for RB the Eagles...

You can't have steak at every position... I heard someone say.

I agree we are one injury away from potential disaster, but we might come up with another Laurent also.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you could make the argument about any position on the roster. If Church goes down, we are screwed. If Romo goes down, we are screwed. If Frederick goes down, we are screwed. When Lee goes down, we WERE screwed.
I think that's what you meant to say. Since that screwed us last year and all... Oh wait.

The only position we would be screwed at with 1 injury is Romo. We can survive with an injury to most other positions. Would it hurt badly to lose an elite guy like Dez or Tyron Smith? Of course it would. But we have other weapons and other pass blockers. You can adjust things in an offense to get by for a period of time.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Basically, as long as we have Dez and Witten I don't really worry about Romo being able to get guys like Beasley, Street or even Escobar to produce in the absence of a guy like Williams. Sure it would suck but if a guy is willing to do what Romo wants him to do he can take a complete schlub and make him productive.
Hence my original comment, "Thank God we have Romo"

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you guys realize that Romo took some schlub named Laurent Robinson, who had a combined 1,000 yards and 4 TD's in 4 years in the NFL, and got him to produce 54/858/11 in less than 16 games despite the fact that he didn't join the team until training camp was nearly over in 2011?

This comparison to the Packers WR's is fundamentally flawed because they don't have a TE like Witten who eats up targets and has such a great rapport with their QB. If you took Witten out of our offense I can guarantee you guys like Williams and Beasley would have much better stats.
Rodgers threw the ball almost 100 more times then Romo. It really is that simple. Unless you want to go back to 2012 when Romo was throwing the ball 648 times, the complimentary guys in this offense just aren't going to put up huge stats.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Hence my original comment, "Thank God we have Romo"
Yea, but look at who you're comparing our WR's to, a team with Aaron Rodgers at QB. You think Davante Adams would've done the first thing if he was playing with Alex Smith?

Nope.

The fact of the matter is that their passing game is built around 3 WR's, two of which are elite, although one of those two is kind of a niche/slot type, while ours is built around 1 elite WR, an elite TE and 2 receivers who are limited but play an important, if compartmentalized role, and both produce elite results for the most part. The main gripe people seem to have is that our secondary passing game targets like Beasley play a very niche role and probably couldn't fill in on the outside like a guy like Adams probably could if Nelson goes down.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think that's what you meant to say. Since that screwed us last year and all... Oh wait.

The only position we would be screwed at with 1 injury is Romo. We can survive with an injury to most other positions. Would it hurt badly to lose an elite guy like Dez or Tyron Smith? Of course it would. But we have other weapons and other pass blockers. You can adjust things in an offense to get by for a period of time.
I think we are screwed if Frederick goes down.

townsend

Banned
Agreed. For a few games we could limp along with Bernadeau, but it would affect the outcome of the season more than probably any other injury other than Romo. That being said, very few teams could survive losing their center.

kidd

DCC 4Life

Pretty much this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love Frederick and actually think the odds of him getting injured are pretty low (Durable guy who plays a position that tends to sustain fewer injuries). With that being said the rest of our O-line being filled with studs should allow us to survive with Bernie or someone else at center. It's not ideal but we would survive.

Cotton

Staff member
I love Frederick and actually think the odds of him getting injured are pretty low (Durable guy who plays a position that tends to sustain fewer injuries). With that being said the rest of our O-line being filled with studs should allow us to survive with Bernie or someone else at center. It's not ideal but we would survive.
8-8 to 9-7 isn't surviving. And I think that is quite plausible is Fred goes down.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
8-8 to 9-7 isn't surviving. And I think that is quite plausible is Fred goes down.
I doubt it. I think we still go 10-6 to 11-5. I think you're really talking about a win or two swing at most. And I think Fred Beard is the O-lineman we can least afford to lose. I think people tend to overrate the impact one single player on a roster of 53. Well except QB, that position is unique.

Cotton

Staff member
I doubt it. I think we still go 10-6 to 11-5. I think you're really talking about a win or two swing at most. And I think Fred Beard is the O-lineman we can least afford to lose. I think people tend to overrate the impact one single player on a roster of 53. Well except QB, that position is unique.
2 win swing takes us from 10-6 to 8-8.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 win swing takes us from 10-6 to 8-8.
I think a 2 game swing is absolutely worst case scenario. Which probably means Frederick misses the whole season and our running game goes to shit. Don't see either of those actually happening.

Also think we are better then 10-6 next year. Heck that might not even get into the playoffs.

townsend

Banned
I think a 2 game swing is absolutely worst case scenario. Which probably means Frederick misses the whole season and our running game goes to shit. Don't see either of those actually happening.

Also think we are better then 10-6 next year. Heck that might not even get into the playoffs.
I think it does in this division, the wildcard spots might be a little tough to get into, I'd pick the Cardinals and Vikings to lock those up with 10+ wins. I just don't think Washington, NYG, or Philly will be any better than 9-7

Top Bottom