Archer: Cowboys work out former SMU kicker

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys work out former SMU kicker
September, 26, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- In Dan Bailey, the Dallas Cowboys believe they have one of the best kickers in the NFL. Punter Chris Jones earned the team’s special teams’ player of the week honor from the 31-7 win against the St. Louis Rams.

But the evaluation process never ends.

The Cowboys worked out former SMU kicker and punter Matt Szymanski on Thursday.

He spent time with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2012. In two years at SMU, Szymanski averaged a little more than 41 yards per punt, made 18 of 28 field goal attempts and had 20 touchbacks.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I suppose it never hurts to hedge your bets but I cannot see the need to get antsy just yet.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Player evaluation is a process independent of need. Dallas's pro scouting has earned the benefit of the doubt with gems like Robinson and Selvie in recent years. So churn away.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Player evaluation is a process independent of need. Dallas's pro scouting has earned the benefit of the doubt with gems like Robinson and Selvie in recent years. So churn away.
The examples you list were acquired because of immediate need. The kicking and punting game for Dallas is very solid. A churning exercise for these spots is not needed. Maybe a hedge process is appropriate for these spots but that is about it.

Top Bottom