Archer: Cowboys' third-down issues dragging them down

Carp

DCC 4Life
IRVING, Texas -- Jason Garrett, Scott Linehan and Tony Romo stayed on message this week when discussions the Dallas Cowboys' issues on third down in the last five games.

“If you convert one, two or three more of those, all of a sudden you’re back to where you’ve been most of the year,” Garrett said. “That’s the nature of this game. We got to find a way to make those plays.”

Said Linehan, “If we get two conversions that were very manageable -- I thought we were in manageable positions last week -- we would have been in good shape, but we didn’t. Our whole focus is on executing better.”

Said Romo, “The difference between a good third-down day and a bad one is sometimes just two third downs. We had some things that we did just mentally that weren’t very sharp that we have to tighten up.”

In the first seven games, the Cowboys made those plays. They converted a ridiculous 57.4 percent of their third-down chances. In their last five games, the Cowboys have converted 35 percent of their third-down chances.

The Cowboys were 6-1 in their first seven games. They are 2-3 in their last five.

Turnover margin is often cited as the most important statistic. Year after year, the teams that are the best at keeping the ball and taking the ball away are the best in the NFL. The Cowboys are a minus-3 in that department this season, but are 8-4.

The statistic that has directly related to their wins and losses has been third-down conversions.

Defensively, the Cowboys are giving up a 46.2 percent conversion rate on third down and in three of their last four games they have allowed rates of 60, 28.8 and 53.3 percent, respectively. The only loss in which the defense didn’t allow better than 50 percent was the overtime defeat against the Washington Redskins.

The Cowboys’ offense has to protect the defense. It’s really that simple. The more the defense has to play, the more it gets exposed. The better the Cowboys are offensively on third down, the less the defense has to play.

“Third downs are critical, you have to keep drive alive (and) you have to get off the field and you have to do it on a consistent basis,” Garrett said. “One of the best things we’ve done as a team offensively this year is convert on third down. It’s been a good thing for us. I think it’s helped our entire team. We have to get back to where we’ve been for most of the year. We have to get more stops on defense because just by nature it’s a turnover if you’re not able to convert, they’re getting the ball back. And similarly, if they convert you’re giving them another opportunity. It’s a huge point of emphasis for us."

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Yet another year where they drag out the stats as to why we are failing.

Here's a simple answer. It is getting cold again. Time to suck.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yet another year where they drag out the stats as to why we are failing.

Here's a simple answer. It is getting cold again. Time to suck.
Every year teams figure us out and every year we fail to readjust.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Every year teams figure us out and every year we fail to readjust.
Dallas continues to do the same thing on offense year in and year out. They thought the additions to the OL would fix it but it hasn't. The OL allows the run game to do better but they cannot protect Romo in a full out rush. Until that is fixed the same old thing will happen. That's where Dallas collapses every year. The defense cannot help because they haven't gotten much better over the last few seasons. Fix the protection by changing the offensive schemes and you will see a more stable December.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas continues to do the same thing on offense year in and year out. They thought the additions to the OL would fix it but it hasn't. The OL allows the run game to do better but they cannot protect Romo in a full out rush. Until that is fixed the same old thing will happen. That's where Dallas collapses every year. The defense cannot help because they haven't gotten much better over the last few seasons. Fix the protection by changing the offensive schemes and you will see a more stable December.
Definitely. The tells are in, and defenses know much more when to expect pass and when to expect run.

That awesome, unpredictable, three TE set that worked so well against NY? Gone. Hasn't been used in weeks. WTF??

Expect more dropbacks and over-dependence on Murray and Dez. I fear more shotgun snaps than ever as we continue our regression into futility.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Definitely. The tells are in, and defenses know much more when to expect pass and when to expect run.

That awesome, unpredictable, three TE set that worked so well against NY? Gone. Hasn't been used in weeks. WTF??

Expect more dropbacks and over-dependence on Murray and Dez. I fear more shotgun snaps than ever as we continue our regression into futility.
Returning to Jason Garrett's security blankets on offense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's odd because I think our offense is one of the higher scoring ones in the third quarter this year... which would seem to indicate that we CAN and do make at least decent in-game adjustments.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's odd because I think our offense is one of the higher scoring ones in the third quarter this year... which would seem to indicate that we CAN and do make at least decent in-game adjustments.
By that gauge it's hard to tell how much comes from the running game/OL wearing on the other team vs. in-game adjustments. But just from memory I believe the team has definitely made it's share of adjustments (except in the Philadelphia game).

It would seem to me that good game-planners should produce points early on, like the way the Patriots and old 49ers teams do/did. Bill Walsh would script the first 15 plays based on film analysis to exploit weaknesses. Belichick's Patriots attack early and often, build a lead, and pull away. They are rarely playing from behind.

This year's Dallas team seems to get punched in the mouth in the 1st quarter, recover in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and do enough to hang on in the 4th.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By that gauge it's hard to tell how much comes from the running game/OL wearing on the other team vs. in-game adjustments. But just from memory I believe the team has definitely made it's share of adjustments (except in the Philadelphia game).

It would seem to me that good game-planners should produce points early on, like the way the Patriots and old 49ers teams do/did. Bill Walsh would script the first 15 plays based on film analysis to exploit weaknesses. Belichick's Patriots attack early and often, build a lead, and pull away. They are rarely playing from behind.

This year's Dallas team seems to get punched in the mouth in the 1st quarter, recover in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and do enough to hang on in the 4th.
So, what I'm hearing is Linehan makes decent in-game adjustments, the gameplan Garrett builds just sucks. Spot on.

Top Bottom