Archer: Cowboys look for jump from Spurlock

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys look for jump from Spurlock

December, 20, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Not long after Micheal Spurlock was released by the Detroit Lions he had a workout with the Washington Redskins, whose general manager Bruce Allen was in Tampa Bay when Spurlock played for the Buccaneers.

The Redskins passed, and on Wednesday he ended up joining the Dallas Cowboys, in part because of another tie to his Tampa Bay past: special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia.

Spurlock admits it is kind of funny that his first game will be against the Redskins.

“It was just one of those situations where it wasn’t a fit there,” Spurlock said. “It became a fit here. You move on. There’s no hard feelings at all. Just go play, and we’re trying to get a win.”

The Cowboys hope Spurlock can spark the return game that has dried up with Dwayne Harris slowed by a hamstring injury. Terrance Williams has handled the kickoff duties in Harris’ absence, but he might not play Sunday because of a hamstring injury. Cole Beasleyhas handled the punt returns.

In nine games for the Lions, Spurlock averaged 22.5 yards per kick return and 6.6 yards per punt return. For his career he has three kickoff returns for touchdowns, and two punt returns for touchdowns.

The Cowboys have made a late-season play for a returner before. In 2003, they signedMichael Bates in time for the regular-season finale. In the playoff loss to the Carolina Panthers he had seven kick returns for 172 yards, with a long of 41 yards.

In 2009, the Cowboys signed Allen Rossum to return kicks and punts, but he was hurt on his first return against Atlanta. The man he was supposed to replace, Patrick Crayton, had a clinching 73-yard punt return for a touchdown in the win against the Falcons.

The Cowboys are the third team Spurlock and Bisaccia have worked with together. They were together in San Diego as well.

“I’ve been around him a long time,” Spurlock said. “Shoot, out of eight years maybe six years I’ve been around him. Some stuff has changed, but after looking at the pictures and stuff, it’s pretty much the same stuff with different names. But I’m familiar with it.”

Top Bottom