Archer: Cowboys are getting younger

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is, there is more in the draft at DT than at DE.

And now we need another DE.
We always needed a DE. Before and after cutting Ware. Counting on him to be our starting RE would have been a mistake. There are plenty of pass rushers available in this draft. Mincey simply provides the veteran insurance policy.

On a side note Kony Ealy probably just climbed our board some.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If there is a plan it's brand new unless drafting for the 3-4 then changing at the to the 4-3 without resetting the 2012 draft board was part of the plan.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I do too, but I'm more inclined to at least give Wilbur a shot at OLB than I would be on the DL. He sucks there, he's not a fit at all.

Maybe he can be the SAM backer. Or at least chip in at that position.
I like Holloman as well. I don't think he necessarily plays disciplined yet but that will come with time. The guy can definitely run around and make plays though. I think he should get some consideration for the WLB spot.
I think Holloman has more upside at LB than Wilbur.
FWIW I like Wilber as a 2 down player at the Sam LB spot and possibly as a pass rusher in the nickel. He has the size and athletic talent to match up and be physical with TEs and if he's on the field as a LB he becomes probably our #1 blitz option. He wasn't starting out of desperation last year, he kept the starting spot when Durant came back from injury.

Right now my starting LBs would be Wilber, Lee, and Holloman.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Right now my starting LBs would be Wilber, Lee, and Holloman.
I wouldn't count Carter out yet. I know he struggled hard last year, but he does have skills. I wouldn't just hand him the job and forget about it, but I think with another offseason in this D, he might come around. He'd certainly have a short leash, tho'.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Sorry, I make my statements based on the actions I see. I take NO ONE'S word for anything. Not owners, GMs, coaches, players or board posters.

Now I might take a logical statement and change my perception because of it. Especially if it brings up a point that I haven't considered.

As for you, you still haven't said anything. I don't know if it fits you yet, but I am beginning to sense a pattern....
And you are free to do as such. Most of the guys here have the same thought process, though...they know what they see.

And, there's not a whole lot of faith a real football fan (READ- non-ZONERS) can have when you see some of the moves and decisions this FO has made over the last 10 seasons. Cutting players and getting younger is a start...but 1 good draft, player or FA coup isn't going to excuse the retardedness that defines Jerry Jones and his cronies. The record speaks for itself.

This whole "process" is one that should have been started when Ware, Witten, and Romo were in their primes. That's gone. This team is in full rebuild mode...they have no choice but to be...poor drafts, missed draft picks, and terrible FA signings have handicapped this current Cowboy roster. Its a damn shame.

Bottom line... don't expect to come on this board and get a lot of fluff, high fives, and hell yeah's when it comes to the Cowboys front office, Jerry Jones, or their draft history. That's what the other boards are for.

I like your posts, but just understand theres tons of posters here tired of Jerry's shit.

:lol

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I wouldn't count Carter out yet. I know he struggled hard last year, but he does have skills. I wouldn't just hand him the job and forget about it, but I think with another offseason in this D, he might come around. He'd certainly have a short leash, tho'.
I wouldn't be against him earning his starting job back with a strong camp.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And you are free to do as such. Most of the guys here have the same thought process, though...they know what they see.

And, there's not a whole lot of faith a real football fan (READ- non-ZONERS) can have when you see some of the moves and decisions this FO has made over the last 10 seasons. Cutting players and getting younger is a start...but 1 good draft, player or FA coup isn't going to excuse the retardedness that defines Jerry Jones and his cronies. The record speaks for itself.

This whole "process" is one that should have been started when Ware, Witten, and Romo were in their primes. That's gone. This team is in full rebuild mode...they have no choice but to be...poor drafts, missed draft picks, and terrible FA signings have handicapped this current Cowboy roster. Its a damn shame.

Bottom line... don't expect to come on this board and get a lot of fluff, high fives, and hell yeah's when it comes to the Cowboys front office, Jerry Jones, or their draft history. That's what the other boards are for.

I like your posts, but just understand theres tons of posters here tired of Jerry's shit.

Hell yeah! ^5!

:unsure

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys need quality, not just quantity, in defensive line
By David Moore
dmoore@dallasnews.com
1:24 pm on March 13, 2014 | Permalink

The Cowboys won’t be able to replace the talent they lost with DeMarcus Ware. If Jason Hatcher departs as well, the club will be hard-pressed to match his production from last season.

So, you will hear a lot about how defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli likes to send his defensive linemen in waves at opposing quarterbacks. He wants a deep rotation, and that is what the Cowboys still strive to develop in free agency and the draft.

It’s a sound approach with one, key point to keep in mind: quantity never trumps quality. Talent matters.

Marinelli wants his defensive linemen to be passionate. He wants them to have a high motor and go hard with every snap of the ball.

Owner Jerry Jones possesses those qualities. That doesn’t mean he can get to the quarterback.

Jeremy Mincey and Terrell McClain, the first two free agents signed by the club, may help. But are they an upgrade over the cavalcade of defensive line that came through the doors at Valley Ranch last season? Are they better than George Selvie and Nick Hayden?

The Cowboys must build depth in the defensive line. But the benefits of that depth won’t be maximized unless the club is able to come up with a very talented tackle to play the three technique and a quality defensive end.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

Wow, look at Unk all ownery and stuff...

hstour

Brand New Member
Tyrone Crawford is probably a career backup, FWIW.

Lookit, I'm not saying they don't have a plan. What I am saying is generally their plans suck. And I don't think anything has gotten better yet. In fact, we are currently down two more players from an already worst-in-the-league defense by missing Ware and Hatcher, now.

I'd like to get at least SOME starting caliber free agents in here so we don't HAVE to take DL in the first three rounds of the draft, but so far, all we've imported are backups who will be no better than the guys we were starting last year. And uh, one of them is a 30 year old, so much for a "youth movement."

If there's a plan, they can start executing it any time now. Releasing Ware isn't good enough to constitute a plan, there has to be a follow up.

If the plan is to suck and build for the future, they should continue the plan by shipping out other players as well. If the plan is to replace Ware with guys who will make us better this year.... well.... tick, tock.

And historically they haven't been very good at that, so.... I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Sadly, my guess is the plan is to add Mincey and McClain, Melton or Hatcher if they can, nobody else if they can't, then draft a DL or two and return Crawford and Bass to the Selvie/Hayden mix.

Seems like a shitty ass plan to me.
I would agree with you from 1995 - 2009. But since then, I think they have had a more cohesive plan.

Again, I don't know if it is the RIGHT plan, but at least it is longer than a single year (e.g. we just need X to make it to the SB).

I personally think that the team is in the "rebuilding" process while Jerry is saying that they are a contender every year.

That's fine with me, it needed to be rebuilt. And if you can do that AND keep Jerry happy, all the better.

hstour

Brand New Member
I'd totally agree. Carter looked lost at the pro level. Give him a chance to start to understand how the Pro game is different from College.

He has the athletic skills, I think it is in his head now. Can he figure it out and get comfortable enough to just react rather then have to think about it.

Top Bottom