Archer: Comparing Cowboys, Pats take on QBs

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taking a prospect in the third doesn't make him better, but it doesn't change the fact that all of the good QBs will be taken by other teams by the 4th.
There are so many other factors that go into a QB's success and a large portion of that is opportunity. Teams don't afford the same opportunities to sixth and seventh round picks as they do to first and second round picks. Draft position really isn't one of the factors that determines a QB's success as you suggest.

It's simple, you evaluate the QB. If you like him you take him. I don't give a shit what round he is available in if you have good value on the player.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There are so many other factors that go into a QB's success and a large portion of that is opportunity. Teams don't afford the same opportunities to sixth and seventh round picks as they do to first and second round picks. Draft position really isn't one of the factors that determines a QB's success as you suggest.

It's simple, you evaluate the QB. If you like him you take him. I don't give a shit what round he is available in if you have good value on the player.
Keeerect.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If this is such a good strategy, why hasn't it worked even once for the teams that have employed it in the last decade? I prefer to go with things that have proven to work at least some of the time, like getting a premium talent in a premium round.

data

Forbes #1
If this is such a good strategy, why hasn't it worked even once for the teams that have employed it in the last decade? I prefer to go with things that have proven to work at least some of the time, like getting a premium talent in a premium round.
Why even have Rounds 5-7?

data

Forbes #1
Jerry refuses to use a premium draft pick on a QB until Romo's body starts decomposition.

For the QB position, I'll take little chance over zero chance.

data

Forbes #1
Like I said, plenty of starters at other positions are drafted there.
If so plentiful, then it's silly to draft other positions in the early rounds.

Especially three 2nd rounders in backup TEs which completely blows my mind.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
At QB I'm not looking for the next Ryan Fitzpatrick. If the scouting report doesn't show that he has the talent to be a potential franchise player I'm not interested. At minimum, if I'm burning a pick, I want a QB that has a first or second round grade.

The Pats and Broncos did it the right way. I don't know if Osweiler or Mallett will pan out, but they were guys with plenty of talent. The Pats even have a second rounder in place to replace Mallett when he leaves as a free agent (because for some reason he isn't being traded to the Texans).

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If so plentiful, then it's silly to draft other positions in the early rounds.

Especially three 2nd rounders in backup TEs which completely blows my mind.
When have I advocated drafting TEs?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
At QB I'm not looking for the next Ryan Fitzpatrick. If the scouting report doesn't show that he has the talent to be a potential franchise player I'm not interested. At minimum, if I'm burning a pick, I want a QB that has a first or second round grade.

The Pats and Broncos did it the right way. I don't know if Osweiler or Mallett will pan out, but they were guys with plenty of talent. The Pats even have a second rounder in place to replace Mallett when he leaves as a free agent (because for some reason he isn't being traded to the Texans).
I don't agree with this at all. I draft for backup QB's or to develop for potential trade bait in the later rounds as well.

data

Forbes #1
When have I advocated drafting TEs?
I veered off-course with that second sentence as I started my own little rant. You haven't advocated for drafting TEs.

I'm pointing out that this is what's so asinine about our draft strategy. We're not willing to draft QB with premium picks, but we sure will spend them on 2nd string TEs. Again. And again.

You're stating that there are plentiful starters in later rounds, yet we'll invest the premium picks on TEs instead of trying it through later rounds.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't agree with this at all. I draft for backup QB's or to develop for potential trade bait in the later rounds as well.
Who will trade for them (besides Jerry)? New England couldn't unload Ryan Mallett, so what chance does anyone else have?

The days of 2nd round picks being traded for the AJ Feeleys, Matt Cassels, and Kevin Kolbs of the world are over. That shat don't work.

Your backup QB has to be a legit starter with real game experience, and that's rarely if ever a late round draft pick. With limited contracts, it's harder and harder to draft QB's after the 3rd round.

For example, what's Kirk Cousins worth right now? Some team may trade a 4th rounder for him, but unless Griffin gets hurt and Cousins demonstrates true starter abilities for an extended period they aren't going to get more than what they spent to bring him in-- not to mention the time spent "developing" his ability. If they really like him, they can pick him up when he becomes a FA in 2016.

Ryan Mallett is an even bigger question mark, which is why Billichick couldn't trade him after a year of trying.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I veered off-course with that second sentence as I started my own little rant. You haven't advocated for drafting TEs.

I'm pointing out that this is what's so asinine about our draft strategy. We're not willing to draft QB with premium picks, but we sure will spend them on 2nd string TEs. Again. And again.

You're stating that there are plentiful starters in later rounds, yet we'll invest the premium picks on TEs instead of trying it through later rounds.
Well I agree with that. I'd much rather draft a QB in the second and a TE in the 6th than the other way around (given the presence of Witten).

Who is going to trade for a backup? Green Bay couldn't get anything for Mike Quinn. Teams are only going to pony up for guys they had a high grade on or in very rare cases for fools gold like Matt Cassel when he gets to spend a year throwing to Randy Moss.

hstour

Brand New Member

But wasn't Mallett a wasted pick? He's playing out the final year of his rookie contract with never having become the starter. Maybe that pick that contributed as a starter would have been enough to push them to a win over NY in the SB that year. They only lost by 4 points.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But wasn't Mallett a wasted pick? He's playing out the final year of his rookie contract with never having become the starter. Maybe that pick that contributed as a starter would have been enough to push them to a win over NY in the SB that year. They only lost by 4 points.
As a practical matter Mallet was a wasted pick but that is in retrospect. The league is full of guys that are selected but don't make it to the starting lineup. That's part of the system. You just hope you get enough to keep a decent team on the field. As to QB candidates, this is the toughest nut to crack especially if you have a good one in place and they remain injury free for the most part. My personal preference is to try to find one within the top three picks in the draft. I think the odds are better.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It is not a wasted pick if they can turn him into a draft pick. Even if they don't trade him it is not a wasted pick...just because he has not played does not mean it is a waste. You hope your back up QB never has to play, but you also want a guy who is well versed in the offense and team culture.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It is not a wasted pick if they can turn him into a draft pick. Even if they don't trade him it is not a wasted pick...just because he has not played does not mean it is a waste. You hope your back up QB never has to play, but you also want a guy who is well versed in the offense and team culture.
In the instant case, the Pats have since picked up another QB prospect and Mallet is either a candidate to be traded or cut. If and when he is traded I will rethink my position about him being a wasted pick but for now he seems to be someone on the roster that has no future with them.

data

Forbes #1
In that sense, Kyle Orton and his highest paid backup has been a waste since he lost the only game he played. We could've fielded Spaulding at QB for free.

Carp

DCC 4Life
In the instant case, the Pats have since picked up another QB prospect and Mallet is either a candidate to be traded or cut. If and when he is traded I will rethink my position about him being a wasted pick but for now he seems to be someone on the roster that has no future with them.
He will not be cut. You can keep 3 QBs on the roster. Even if they get nothing for him though, he was a contingency plan that did not have to be used because Brady stayed healthy.

Top Bottom