Archer: Church playing faster off Achilles injury

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Church playing faster off Achilles injury

September, 26, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Generally injury anniversaries are not celebrated, but Dallas Cowboyssafety Barry Church knew he passed a milestone last week against the St. Louis Rams.

In the third game of the 2012 season, his first as a starter, Church suffered a torn Achilles against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and his season ended.

Last week Church made it through his third game without any issues. In fact he broke up a career-high three passes in the 31-7 win against the St. Louis Rams.

“I didn’t even notice it, really,” Church said. “Hopefully I can make it through the whole season now.”

Church has 14 tackles, a tackle for loss, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble so far, according to the Cowboys' stats.

“I feel like I’m quicker for some reason,” Church said. “I don’t know. Maybe they put something in there?

In his Achilles?

“Magic dust or something,” he said. “I feel like I’m just reading the offense a lot faster than I was last year and that makes it look like I’m moving a lot faster.”

He credits the athletic training staff for getting him healthy, but he credits Monte Kiffin’s new scheme.

“It’s a lot simpler than last year so as players we’re not having to think as much,” Church said. “We’re just locked in on what we have to do and that allows us to play a lot faster.”

Top Bottom