Archer: Alex Tanney's uphill roster battle

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Alex Tanney's uphill roster battle

August, 20, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – With Alex Tanney’s 14-of-19, 136-yard, one-touchdown, one-interception effort against Arizona, a lot of fans were left wondering if the Cowboys should make him the backup quarterback after Kyle Orton’s two-interception performance earlier in the game.

That’s not happening. And Tanney (or Nick Stephens) is not assured a spot on the 53-man roster either.

The Cowboys did not carry a third quarterback last year, going with Tony Romo and Orton only. From 2009-11 they kept a third quarterback in Stephen McGee.

"We value the quarterback position a lot," Jason Garrett said.:lol "We would love to have a third quarterback to develop, but roster spots are competitive in this league. You have to make a lot of decisions when you get around the cut down date to 53. There are a lot of good players you have to letgo. You've got to figure out who is going to help your team. Developing a player versus this guy can help our team right now; that is a big question we have.

"We feel good about our starting quarterback. We feel good about our backup quarterback. Now we would like to bring a guy along. What capacity would you like to bring him along in, I don’t know that. Tanney did a good job the other night, though."

---------------

I really don't get how people are latching onto this guy like he's some prize.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Happens every year with someone. Jermaine Copeland.
That's a little different. There are actually people suggesting this guy is the future at the QB position and actually want to dump Orton in order to keep him.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Can Orton throw a football through a basketball hoop from 50 yards away? Nuff said.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a little different. There are actually people suggesting this guy is the future at the QB position and actually want to dump Orton in order to keep him.
I'm not sure Orton is worth shit after reading all camp reports and watching preseason. Suggesting Tanney is a future starter at this point is straight retarded. Hoping he can beat out Orton at some point isn't necessarily. Has more to do with Orton then Tanney in my opinion.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think its a twisted reaction/response to the fact that we don't draft qb's EVER.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Orton is fine as a backup. No question he's better than Tanney.

The real problem is his salary. We are paying millions to someone we hope never plays, and yet we can't afford to sign a decent guard or tackle. Something is wrong with that salary structure.

It's too late for this season though.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Everyone knows Romo's aging with no replacement in sight, and deep in their minds, the knowledge that the Jones' are going to have to earn their next QB scares the living shit out of people.

So hordes of fans see Tanney's self-produced Internet video and hope rises that lightning might strike twice. All he had to do was complete a pass and people started jizzing themselves thinking Romo part II. Truth is lightning doesn't and won't strike twice or any more times for Dallas.

We are stuck with the Jones', and all the QB-finding skill that implies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Everyone knows Romo's aging with no replacement in sight, and deep in their minds, the knowledge that the Jones' are going to have to earn their next QB scares the living shit out of people.

So hordes of fans see Tanney's self-produced Internet video and hope rises that lightning might strike twice. All he had to do was complete a pass and people started jizzing themselves thinking Romo part II. Truth is lightning doesn't and won't strike twice or any more times for Dallas.

We are stuck with the Jones', and all the QB-finding skill that implies.
Agreed.

My only hope is that we will eventually bottom out and hopefully we luck into a franchise QB at the top of the draft whenever that happens. I'm confident Jerry will be aggressive in such a situation, I just hope it's for the right guy and not some Logan Thomas.

Since we supposedly liked Dalton alot in the 2nd I guess there is a chance we could find a guy in that area of the draft, perhaps with a guy like Fales this year, but I think that's unlikely.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Agreed.

My only hope is that we will eventually bottom out and hopefully we luck into a franchise QB at the top of the draft whenever that happens. I'm confident Jerry will be aggressive in such a situation, I just hope it's for the right guy and not some Logan Thomas.

Since we supposedly liked Dalton alot in the 2nd I guess there is a chance we could find a guy in that area of the draft, perhaps with a guy like Fales this year, but I think that's unlikely.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:budd

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't see people really annointing him as a future starter. It would be nice to have a developmental QB on the roster...which is usually a gripe around here.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't see people really annointing him as a future starter. It would be nice to have a developmental QB on the roster...which is usually a gripe around here.
Not here, but check out other forums. It is idiotic.

You can develop a QB on the PS.

We are not good enough to carry three quarterbacks.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I do hope he makes the PS...Orton may have to be cut based on his insolent hair.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's my sentiment as well.

Top Bottom