Andrew Luck Retires

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Which is worse, this way or play scared/tentative.

They said the Colts' fans booed him off the field... now THAT'S douchy.
Those aren't the only two choices.

He chose to take it to this point. Be a fucking adult and honor your commitment.

I wouldn't have booed personally, but I think it's completely understandable.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
This way is way worse. A million times worse.

Fuck that guy, he deserves to be booed for this.
So you prefer he goes into the season hobbled? Say he does and tears his Achilles the first time he dropped back? Hell, there was no guarantee he was going to play week 1, or week 2, 3, or 4, for that matter anyway.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don’t agree at all it was “classy” to do this now. You don’t abandon the franchise two weeks before opening kickoff.

And i don’t buy that it was any injury situation that he couldn’t have seen coming months ago.

My initial read is this is a guy who on the eve of the season, felt like he just couldn’t go through the grind of another season.

But fuck that, you make that decision on February or you wait till next offseason.

Complete bullshit.

Its like he just fucking decided while he was on the sidelines. I’d be livid if I was a Colts fan.
I'm undecided on this, it's very possible he was told he would be ready for the season earlier then just recently he found out he wasn't healing like expected, I need more info before I pass judgement

data

Forbes #1
Trade them Dak Prescott for a 2020 first rounder and we end up with the #1 and #2 overall picks in 2020.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So you prefer he goes into the season hobbled? Say he does and tears his Achilles the first time he dropped back? Hell, there was no guarantee he was going to play week 1, or week 2, 3, or 4, for that matter anyway.
He should give it every shot to play this year. If he needed to start the year inactive to get extra time to recover, fine. Even on IR, since they can recall him. But the Colts in theory could win a Super Bowl with him this year. Maybe he gets a bit better by October or November and they go on a run.

To me, completely unacceptable to do this now. If that’s the way he’s leaning, he owes it to his teammates — and the fans who, for example, spent big money purchasing season tickets — to at least try, and then retire after the season.

I’d be so mad if I was a season ticket holder that I might consider trying to sue him for the financial expenditures I made in reliance of the contract he has that he’s simply abandoning. He’s on record: “Mentally exhausted.” Not so badly injured that he can’t play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t agree at all it was “classy” to do this now. You don’t abandon the franchise two weeks before opening kickoff.

And i don’t buy that it was any injury situation that he couldn’t have seen coming months ago.

My initial read is this is a guy who on the eve of the season, felt like he just couldn’t go through the grind of another season.

But fuck that, you make that decision on February or you wait till next offseason.

Complete bullshit.

Its like he just fucking decided while he was on the sidelines. I’d be livid if I was a Colts fan.
So if he did this in February does it really make much difference? Is there some QB the Colts could have gotten that would have made a difference. In a way he did them a favor. Now the Colts can suck and maybe get a top pick instead of getting Fitspatrick or someone and rallying to 7 or 8 wins.

Ultimately without Luck the Colts are best off to get in the #1 pick sweepstakes. If I were a Colts fan I'd be pissed but its because my franchise QB retired at 29 and I went from hopes for a Superbowl chance to having zero chance. The timing would mean little.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He should give it every shot to play this year. If he needed to start the year inactive to get extra time to recover, fine. Even on IR, since they can recall him. But the Colts in theory could win a Super Bowl with him this year. Maybe he gets a bit better by October or November and they go on a run.

To me, completely unacceptable to do this now. If that’s the way he’s leaning, he owes it to his teammates — and the fans who, for example, spent big money purchasing season tickets — to at least try, and then retire after the season.

I’d be so mad if I was a season ticket holder that I might consider trying to sue him for the financial expenditures I made in reliance of the contract he has that he’s simply abandoning. He’s on record: “Mentally exhausted.” Not so badly injured that he can’t play.
Are you talking about loyalty?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So if he did this in February does it really make much difference? Is there some QB the Colts could have gotten that would have made a difference. In a way he did them a favor. Now the Colts can suck and maybe get a top pick instead of getting Fitspatrick or someone and rallying to 7 or 8 wins.

Ultimately without Luck the Colts are best off to get in the #1 pick sweepstakes. If I were a Colts fan I'd be pissed but its because my franchise QB retired at 29 and I went from hopes for a Superbowl chance to having zero chance. The timing would mean little.
It gives the team an entire offseason. Maybe they trade up for Haskins or Jones.

The bottom line for me is that he kinda owes them another good faith effort to gut through it. With some advance warning that he’s nearing the end. That’s only fair when he has a contract that big and he’s only 29. They relied on him.

data

Forbes #1
Bless his heart. He was a diamond surrounded by trash far too long.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Wouldn’t be surprised if this was a take a year off and recharge his batteries type thing. It’s too unprecedented and weird.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Wouldn’t be surprised if this was a take a year off and recharge his batteries type thing. It’s too unprecedented and weird.
Yeah, I could see that. Take a year off to get his mind and body right and come back in refreshed.

And armed with a draft of picking high in each round.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
That could happen if he accepts a job at ESPN and bombs. :tippytoe

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It gives the team an entire offseason. Maybe they trade up for Haskins or Jones.
They could have but would you mortgage a shit ton of draft picks for either of those guys? I know Jones is having a good preseason but I think it would have been a really bad decision. A mistake Luck saved them from making.

If I'm a fan I'm pissed because we have no shot at a Superbowl now. Haskins or Jones wasn't going to change that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And FWIW, I’m not arguing against Luck’s entitlement to call it a career if he truly wants. He’s no slave to having to play till he’s 35 or 40.

But at 29 with years left on his contract I think he owes either way more of a heads up to his team, or, he should stick out this year with it a known fact that he’s retiring when the year is over.

He’s being well, well compensated so I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And FWIW, I’m not arguing against Luck’s entitlement to call it a career if he truly wants. He’s no slave to having to play till he’s 35 or 40.

But at 29 with years left on his contract I think he owes either way more of a heads up to his team, or, he should stick out this year with it a known fact that he’s retiring when the year is over.

He’s being well, well compensated so I don’t think that’s too much to ask.
Yeah they are letting him keep his money too

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

When the hell will these dumb asses finally stop dropping that turd's name every time a QB is hurt, is cut etc.?

He is a sellout who has no intention of playing. He would much rather stir the outrage pot by pretending he does. And his adoring fan boys live to

Top Bottom