Agent: Cowboys, Sean Lee agree to six-year extension

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If he DOES pan out, and he sticks around for those dollars, that's top MLB in football money taking up our cap room.
Well, duh.

You mean if he proves he's a top MLB that he's going to get paid like one? That's quite the analysis there. :art

Look, IF healthy, he's one of the few guys who deserve a top deal. What did you want the team to do? Low ball him then let him walk if he scoffed? When you get premier players, you have to pay them premier money if you want to keep them.

Ware, Witten, Dez, and Lee. Those are the only players on this team right now that deserve top dollar. I know that it sucks that Miles and Ratliff get paid like that when they don't deserve it and in turn have their numbers soak up our cap, but that doesn't mean we should not try to keep the elite players because we're trying to compensate for the bad deals.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If he plays half the games he won't last through six years. 16 million guaranteed is, in and of itself, good injury protection. 3 years from now, if he can't stay healthy, he can be cut.

Who knows if we would cut him, we won't cut Ratliff for some reason, but that has nothing to do with the contract.

Guaranteed money is everything. The rest you can walk away from if the player isn't earning it.
That's not my point. My point is we are cap strapped already and just added another player making "top player at his position" money.

For a player who hasn't stayed healthy yet, this was an opportunity to get a bit of a deal to save some cap room, to give us more opportunity to spend the money on other players around him.

This looks like another example of Stephen Jones handing out more than a shrewd organization would have managed to get the player for, to me.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well, duh.

You mean if he proves he's a top MLB that he's going to get paid like one? That's quite the analysis there. :art

Look, IF healthy, he's one of the few guys who deserve a top deal. What did you want the team to do? Low ball him then let him walk if he scoffed? When you get premier players, you have to pay them premier money if you want to keep them.

Ware, Witten, Dez, and Lee. Those are the only players on this team right now that deserve top dollar. I know that it sucks that Miles and Ratliff get paid like that when they don't deserve it and in turn have their numbers soak up our cap, but that doesn't mean we should not try to keep the elite players because we're trying to compensate for the bad deals.
I didn't say we shouldn't try to keep them.

I said I would have liked for us to be able to get a little of a below market deal now and then instead of always paying absolute top dollar. Lee got absolutely top dollar here if he stays healthy.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That's not my point. My point is we are cap strapped already and just added another player making "top player at his position" money.

For a player who hasn't stayed healthy yet, this was an opportunity to get a bit of a deal to save some cap room, to give us more opportunity to spend the money on other players around him.

This looks like another example of Stephen Jones handing out more than a shrewd organization would have managed to get the player for, to me.
James Laurinaitis:

Signed a six-year, $42.12 million contract. The deal contains $23.62 million guaranteed, including a $2 million signing bonus.

So, Sean Lee is making less guaranteed money than James Laurinaitis. Johnny Ace Jr. hasn't made any pro bowls either. I'd say we paid market value for a good MLB and protected ourselves well.
Quoting my last post because you may have missed it. So, we paid market value for a player at a position the defense WILL NOT RUN WITHOUT. That's life. Maybe we didn't get a bargain, but half the time when a team gets a bargain the player holds out. I'd rather not have San Diego like headaches every year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Quoting my last post because you may have missed it. So, we paid market value for a player at a position the defense WILL NOT RUN WITHOUT. That's life. Maybe we didn't get a bargain, but half the time when a team gets a bargain the player holds out. I'd rather not have San Diego like headaches every year.
I saw it. It doesn't change the fact that if Lee stays healthy, he counts for more.

I'm just not gonna be surprised when we have cap issues for the next 3-4 seasons just like this offseason. It's the product of deals like this all the time.

I'm not saying Lee is the player to lowball. Just saying I saw an opportunity that maybe we COULD HAVE gotten a deal here, and once again, Stephen Jones did not do us any real favors in terms of preserving cap room, given the very real possibility that Lee does meet his performance escalators.

Maybe Lee deserves this contract, but if we're gonna keep all our players, somebody is gonna have to start getting less than top dollar.

And so far we just hand out top dollar to everyone, so I foresee problems.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm not saying Lee is the player to lowball. Just saying I saw an opportunity that maybe we COULD HAVE gotten a deal here, and once again, Stephen Jones did not do us any real favors in terms of preserving cap room, given the very real possibility that Lee does meet his performance escalators.

Maybe Lee deserves this contract, but if we're gonna keep all our players, somebody is gonna have to start getting less than top dollar.

And so far we just hand out top dollar to everyone, so I foresee problems.
That's a fair point.

I don't know what his agent set the bar at, but I do think it's possible we maybe could have gotten away with 6 year deal at around 34-36 million and then maybe make 42 million be the top dollar with escalators.

Given his injury history, you'd like to think there might have been a chance, but it's water under the bridge now.

The only way we're going to sign a player with elite talent to a non-elite deal is to do it early like we did with Ratliff when he first signed his extension back in 2007 or whenever it was. The problem with that is, we also have a tendency of signing players prematurely, so where do you draw the line?

I think it has to be a guy that you are sure is going to be a player. I think the guy who best fits this mold is Bruce Carter. I would be fine with signing him now before he turns into a borderline star and maybe you get lucky with like a 4 year deal at 20 mill or something.

asklesko

Whoa An Active DCCer
jeez us, he has been sidelined two whole years in a row. this is not a smart move, it's a jerry move.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Sean Lee, Dallas Cowboys Reach Contract Extension

Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor

The Dallas Cowboys know they have one of the best young linebackers in football. The team made sure on Wednesday that Sean Lee remains a Cowboy for a very long time.

Nick Eatman of the team's official website first reported that Lee was in the process of signing a six-year contract extension with the team.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport and Albert Breer reported that Lee's contract is for $7 million per year, according to a source who has seen the deal. Breer added that escalators can take it to $51 million in new money over six years, via a source involved in the negotiation. Lee has to play 80 percent of the team's snaps to reach those escalators, which is notable considering his* struggles with injuries.

"Obviously I've had injuries and I've said I need to find a way to stay on this field," Lee told the Cowboys' official website. "And the contract is extremely fair. If I'm on the field the whole year, I'll be able to get paid. But if I do have injuries, it protects the Cowboys and I think that's fantastic, especially with the injuries I've dealt with in the past.

"Hopefully I'll find a way to be on the field every single year," Lee added. "That's my goal. So I think it's extremely fair."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has made so many big-ticket deals that have come back to haunt him over the years. Too often, he has overrated his own players. This contract, however, looks like a bargain. Before he was hurt last year, Lee could stake a claim as the best middle linebacker in football. His range, ability to read plays and coverage skills help set him apart. Lee and Bruce Carter form perhaps the most exciting young linebacker duo in the NFL.

Critics will point out that Lee hasn't played 16 games in an NFL season yet, but he missed just three games combined in his first two years. Even if Lee hits all his escalators in the deal, this contract could go down as a huge bargain for a Pro Bowl-caliber player in his prime.

With all the dead money on Dallas' salary-cap books, Jones could use a bargain like that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: Throwback LB Sean Lee Could’ve Played In Any Era

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

On Wednesday evening, I just happened to be standing outside the scouting office visiting with Tom Ciskowski when Sean Lee appeared in the door way after signing his six-year contract extension with the club. As Lee proceeded down the hallway for a few steps, he turned and walked back to Ciskowski, extending his hand and thanked him for what he had done by drafting him for the Cowboys back in 2010.

Having worked with Tom for several years, I could tell that he was touched by Lee's gesture. After some brief words of congratulations, Lee smiled and walked away. Ciskowski then turned to me and said "You wish you could draft 11 guys just like him".

What made this a simple deal for the Cowboys is that you had a player that truly loved being in Dallas and was anxious to continue his career here but more importantly, you had a front office and a coaching staff that were just as anxious to keep him here. There has always been something uniquely different about Lee. He has never been an ordinary, run-of-the-mill type of player.

With Sean Lee, there is no guesswork because every day you see it on the field, down after down. He is one of those players that could have played in any era. Whether he was tackling Red Grange in the open field or intercepting a pass in the flat from Peyton Manning to seal a game, Sean Lee is one of those guys that just makes plays and when he doesn't, it just kills him inside.

Coaches preach to their players about finishing the play but Lee takes it to a whole another level. With the mental, effort and desire, is tremendous skill. In my 13 years as a scout in this league, I had never seen a linebacker that reads schemes as fast as he does. His reactions and awareness in which he plays with are rare. He truly has a gift for playing the linebacker position.

I fondly remember several times last season, talking with him at breakfast in the player's dining hall about a wide variety of subjects. What I enjoyed most about the conversations were how he always had an intelligent, well thought out answers to any subject matter in which you wanted to tackle with him. I would pick his brain about linebacker drops or what he thought the best solution was to paying student athletes or even the tragic events that took place at his alma mater Penn State with former defensive coordinator, Jerry Sandusky. Lee was always prepared to have an answer for you that made sense.

For the Dallas Cowboys, these are the types of deals make perfect sense for the club and what it holds for the future. With Sean Lee, nobody will push himself any harder to live up to every penny he is paid in this contract. Give credit to the front office for getting the deal done but also give credit to Lee and his agent Mike McCarthy for working to make this happen.

In the past, we have seen this organization make deals that have not always turned out for the best and they have had to live with them but in this case, I believe that both sides know it will be an outstanding partnership.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I love Sean Lee. He and Dez are going to provide the kind of heart this team has needed since the 90s.

Mad flat out props to Jerry for drafting the guy. I hated the pick, but sweet redemption is Jerry's on this one.

The contract appears to be equally impressive. If there is a guy who you never have to worry about giving less than his all, you know it's Lee.

If he's healthy, he's easily worth more than this contract.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Broaddus: Throwback LB Sean Lee Could’ve Played In Any Era

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

On Wednesday evening, I just happened to be standing outside the scouting office visiting with Tom Ciskowski when Sean Lee appeared in the door way after signing his six-year contract extension with the club. As Lee proceeded down the hallway for a few steps, he turned and walked back to Ciskowski, extending his hand and thanked him for what he had done by drafting him for the Cowboys back in 2010.

Having worked with Tom for several years, I could tell that he was touched by Lee's gesture. After some brief words of congratulations, Lee smiled and walked away. Ciskowski then turned to me and said "You wish you could draft 11 guys just like him".

What made this a simple deal for the Cowboys is that you had a player that truly loved being in Dallas and was anxious to continue his career here but more importantly, you had a front office and a coaching staff that were just as anxious to keep him here. There has always been something uniquely different about Lee. He has never been an ordinary, run-of-the-mill type of player.

With Sean Lee, there is no guesswork because every day you see it on the field, down after down. He is one of those players that could have played in any era. Whether he was tackling Red Grange in the open field or intercepting a pass in the flat from Peyton Manning to seal a game, Sean Lee is one of those guys that just makes plays and when he doesn't, it just kills him inside.

Coaches preach to their players about finishing the play but Lee takes it to a whole another level. With the mental, effort and desire, is tremendous skill. In my 13 years as a scout in this league, I had never seen a linebacker that reads schemes as fast as he does. His reactions and awareness in which he plays with are rare. He truly has a gift for playing the linebacker position.

I fondly remember several times last season, talking with him at breakfast in the player's dining hall about a wide variety of subjects. What I enjoyed most about the conversations were how he always had an intelligent, well thought out answers to any subject matter in which you wanted to tackle with him. I would pick his brain about linebacker drops or what he thought the best solution was to paying student athletes or even the tragic events that took place at his alma mater Penn State with former defensive coordinator, Jerry Sandusky. Lee was always prepared to have an answer for you that made sense.

For the Dallas Cowboys, these are the types of deals make perfect sense for the club and what it holds for the future. With Sean Lee, nobody will push himself any harder to live up to every penny he is paid in this contract. Give credit to the front office for getting the deal done but also give credit to Lee and his agent Mike McCarthy for working to make this happen.

In the past, we have seen this organization make deals that have not always turned out for the best and they have had to live with them but in this case, I believe that both sides know it will be an outstanding partnership.
I'm a total mark for classic football, but Sean Lee would have been a monster in the 70s and before. The guy would be huge for his speed and athleticism compared to some of the best from those eras, add in slower offensive players and Lee's excellent instincts and he would have been in the All-Pro conversation with Lambert, Robertson, Gradishar, and Carson.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I love Sean Lee. He and Dez are going to provide the kind of heart this team has needed since the 90s.

Mad flat out props to Jerry for drafting the guy. I hated the pick, but sweet redemption is Jerry's on this one.

The contract appears to be equally impressive. If there is a guy who you never have to worry about giving less than his all, you know it's Lee.

Stay indoors when you make those kinds of comments. Lightning is less effective when indoors. :unsure

Lotuseater

Banned

I agree with most of what you say here but I would have felt much better if he had already played one full season. His contract could become an albatross if he cant stay healthy. That's said, I love me some Sean Lee and glad he'll hopefully get to play out his career here. He is easily the best player on our defense now. If he stays healthy he'll be a superstar...

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Even hearing his comments on the radio today you know Lee is a class act. It was important to him that the team was protected too in case of injury. But he plans to earn his keep. I'm definitely getting a Lee Jersey. Dez is next once he's signed and will keep wearing this laundry...

p1_

DCC 4Life
Does this help our cap situation in the near term? Next year perhaps?

Top Bottom