Agent: Cowboys, Sean Lee agree to six-year extension

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So what was main incentive here? I don't think he's in final year of initial deal is he?
He was slated to be a FA next year.

Bryant and Carter have two years left. Tyron Smith, we have an option year for him, so I would probably make him last.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Does this help our cap situation in the near term? Next year perhaps?
It added like 2.3 mill to our cap this year. Not sure about next.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Which is about what we might have paid one of the old two guards.
That's what I was thinking. Are they in dire straights with this steaming online ? Thinking they have to do something.

junk

Not So New Member
It added like 2.3 mill to our cap this year. Not sure about next.
Wasn't it something like 16.3 million overall guaranteed? Must have been a small signing bonus and a couple of years of guaranteed salary?

I thought his cap # was something like 2.9. If you figure they gave him the vet min this year, his SB can't be much more than $10 million or so?

Total "value" of a contract is such a worthless thing to look at it. It's all about guaranteed money.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys Executive VP Stephen Jones on Sean Lee deal: ‘We’re convinced…he’s going to be healthy’

By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
rsabin@dallasnews.com
9:11 pm on August 22, 2013 |

ARLINGTON — The Dallas Cowboys’ top brass is bullish on Sean Lee. That’s why the organization invested as much as $51 million in the linebacker Wednesday, finalizing a six-year extension with the 2010 second-round pick on Wednesday.

But they’re also aware that Lee has missed 13 games in the three previous seasons because of a pulled hamstring, a dislocated wrist and torn ligaments in his right big toe.

“We said, ‘Hey if we’re going to do this, we think you’re the best in the business, I think you’re going to be. But at the same time unfortunately you’ve had injuries,’” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones explained. “It’s unfortunate but no one works harder at it, no one practices at harder and no one is more about what we want to have in a Dallas Cowboy than Sean is.”

So the Cowboys made a deal that factored in his health history. Lee’s contract extension includes a playtime escalator. If he’s on the field for at least 80 percent of the team’s defensive snaps in either 2013 or 2014, he will receive more money in 2015. From 2016-2019, the escalator will kick in based on the previous season’s snap percentage.

“I think I have shown the ability to make plays and help our team win football games in the past but I still need to find a way to stay on the field the whole year and continue to do that year after year,” Lee said.

The Cowboys have faith Lee can.

“We were able to come up with something that I think appeased everybody,” Jones said. “We’re convinced and he’s convinced he’s going to be healthy or we wouldn’t have done the extension. And if he is healthy, then obviously he’ll make even more money. It’s a good deal.”

Here is a look at the percentage of snaps Lee played in each of his first three seasons:

Year; Gms; Starts; Snaps; Pct. Of Snaps;

2012; 6; 6; 331/1,062; 31.1

2011; 15; 15; 868/1,053; 82.4

2010; 14; 0 169/1,040; 16.3

Lotuseater

Banned
Well, its a step in the right direction for jerry and co. dealing with contracts. Too often its a huge deal with a distinct lack of foresight.

The truth of the matter is if he's healthy, he'll be an all-pro. The were right to pay him for that ability.

Top Bottom