A Football Life: Tony Romo

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Riding the hot hand is not about chemistry. It was how they were playing. Lights out. I'm not going to get into whether it was the correct move or not because that cant be proven one way or the other regardless of how many words are used. I was just taken up for my dcc brothers about the reasoning.
You don't pull the starting QB on a team that was performing that well. It's about the dumbest thing you can do. Especially to put in a rusty QB coming off a back injury. It's all fun to imagine Romo coming in and not skipping a beat like its 2014 again but that's a fairytale. Its nostalgia speaking.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I like how Cowboysrock is making these sweeping proclamations about what to do and what not to do about QBs when his record evaluating them has been so spotty recently.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like how Cowboysrock is making these sweeping proclamations about what to do and what not to do about QBs when his record evaluating them has been so spotty recently.
:lol

I could say the same about yours... But overreactions are all a part of football. I'm not even talking about evaluating a guys talent in this situation. Simply stating the obvious. You don't pull your QB when your team is dominating.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's not "pulling" the QB, it's reinserting the starter.

Which you do 100% of the time when the starter is waaaaaaay better.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's not "pulling" the QB, it's reinserting the starter.

Which you do 100% of the time when the starter is waaaaaaay better.
Our team is led by committee. No one wanted to own the decision to go against popular opinion (Dak).

This was different than Brady/Bledsoe as Belichick saw that Brady was a better fit for his average OL and pedestrian WRs. Bledsoe needed WRs who could go deep and an OL that could protect, while NE had none of the above.

Romo was worse at rushing and staying healthy, but he was on another level as a passer, especially when defenses got tighter like in the playoffs.

It was a mistake that I knew only hindsight could reveal.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I was the biggest Tony Romo fan on the planet, but there’s no way I’m re-inserting him after Dak and Zeke went on that year long run. That’s a terribly difficult situation, and in my mind, Garrett did the right thing.

Can you imagine the shitstorm he would have been under if Romo threw a couple bad picks and the team folded?

It’s been done before. Remember Flutie taking the Bills offense over while Rob Johnson was hurt back in the 90s? Johnson gets healthy and ends up starting the playoff game and ultimately lost it? That’s a hard decision.

All that being said, Romo gives/gave you the best chance to win at 80% vs. Dak’s 100%.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I was the biggest Tony Romo fan on the planet, but there’s no way I’m re-inserting him after Dak and Zeke went on that year long run. That’s a terribly difficult situation, and in my mind, Garrett did the right thing.

Can you imagine the shitstorm he would have been under if Romo threw a couple bad picks and the team folded?

It’s been done before. Remember Flutie taking the Bills offense over while Rob Johnson was hurt back in the 90s? Johnson gets healthy and ends up starting the playoff game and ultimately lost it? That’s a hard decision.

All that being said, Romo gives/gave you the best chance to win at 80% vs. Dak’s 100%.
Rob Johnson was garbage though, so that's a different situation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Gosh plus I remember how rough Romo was in 2015 trying to come back from an injury cold like that. It's why I was all for drafting a QB in that 2016 draft. I loved a healthy Romo but every hit he took was just a reminder of the end of Aikman's career.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Rob Johnson was God Awful, but Buffalo still had hope for him at that time.

It’s a different situation, sure, but the decision had the same potential consequences.

Garrett would have to have gigantic balls to make that move.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Rob Johnson was God Awful, but Buffalo still had hope for him at that time.

It’s a different situation, sure, but the decision had the same potential consequences.

Garrett would have to have gigantic balls to make that move.
Garrett couldn't have made that call, even if he had balls at one time or another, he hasn't had them for at least 8 years.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Looking back, knowing what we know today, the right move would have been to go with Romo. Especially after they put him in for that one fringe against Philip and he looked like he’d been playing all year. No rust.

He was ready.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garrett couldn't have made that call, even if he had balls at one time or another, he hasn't had them for at least 8 years.
It clearly wasn't. I remember every week when Dak played great there was like a Jerry Jones announcement that Romo was still the starter. Until finally Jerry changed his mind based on how well Dak was playing. It was clearly a Jerry Jones decision. And one he really struggled with because of his personal relationship with Romo.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Part of the reasoning was how it would affect Dak's psyche, since he seemed to be the future at the time, now... not so much, so it's an easier call. Hindsight 20/20 and all that...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Part of the reasoning was how it would affect Dak's psyche, since he seemed to be the future at the time, now... not so much, so it's an easier call. Hindsight 20/20 and all that...
Arguing the point last season before the game was played wasn’t hindsight.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Arguing the point last season before the game was played wasn’t hindsight.
I'm talking to those that say that "now looking back..."

Kudos to you for calling for it back then, no idea how it would have turned out, but it's nice to play the "if only..." game.

Had they inserted Romo back and he played like crap (unlikely) or gotten injured (more likely) and lost, the ones calling for the "hot hand" would be on the comfy side of "I told you..."

I thought Romo was a better QB, but I wasn't sure he'd be good enough to get a SB or how much he had left, so I was in the "let the guy that looks like the future play it out" camp.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm talking to those that say that "now looking back..."

Kudos to you for calling for it back then, no idea how it would have turned out, but it's nice to play the "if only..." game.

Had they inserted Romo back and he played like crap (unlikely) or gotten injured (more likely) and lost, the ones calling for the "hot hand" would be on the comfy side of "I told you..."

I thought Romo was a better QB, but I wasn't sure he'd be good enough to get a SB or how much he had left, so I was in the "let the guy that looks like the future play it out" camp.
We will never know. I took the position that Romo was more capable of competing at the playoff level due to experience and talent than Dak was at that point in time. It was simply my opinion. I didn’t factor assumptions like injury likelihood or anything else because that is not something that comes into play unless it actually happens. The only question at the time was which quarterback was the best choice to insert at the playoff level.

Top Bottom