6th Round Pick #191 Xavier Woods

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Still hard to believe this guy just got caught up in the numbers as why he fell so far.

Looking at his size, measurables, production....everything screams ED REED!!

Only thing is that he didn't play at a big school.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
I tend to think he's been a bit overhyped by Cowboys fans, but it's refreshing to see us grab a defensive back with a proven track record as a ballhawk, instead of drafting some super athlete who these idiots think they can "mold" into a great player. We've had enough speedy, great leapers who are allergic to the football pass through here.

dallen

Senior Tech
Getting this guy in the sixth was my favorite pick

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I love everything about this kid... my only fear is the potential for drawing penalties of the " hitting a defenseless receiver" ilk. There are a couple in those highlights that would have most likely drawn a flag in the NFL. Hopefully he will be a quicker lerner than Wilcox. I would hate to see us have to coach any of his natural aggressiveness out of him just to keep him from being penalized.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I absolutely love this pick. It's not just hyping the guy up because the Cowboys picked him either. This is a guy who I pegged as a big time play maker before the Cowboys even invited him in for a predraft visit. He is an athletic guy who just makes a shit ton of plays on the field. I'd love to hear why other teams let him fall or why they took other safeties before him. He isn't that big but hell lot of NFL safeties aren't that big anymore. Look at Earl Thomas who is 5'10" 200 pounds basically. Ed Reed was about that same size as well.

He does probably need to do a little better wrapping up when he tackles but I love the physicality he plays with. For a guy his size he is fearless.

dallen

Senior Tech
Well he's around the ball constantly which is good. He does miss quite a few tackles. They're gonna have to work on that.
Nevermind. I just remembered I hate this guy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Still hard to believe this guy just got caught up in the numbers as why he fell so far.

Looking at his size, measurables, production....everything screams ED REED!!

Only thing is that he didn't play at a big school.

This may be the most positive I've ever seen you.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Woods is exactly the kind of Non-Power 5/smaller school player that I don't mind seeing the Cowboys take.

Even though he's not playing against tough competition from week to week he's displayed that he has the knack for making plays.

I hate when we use 3rd and 4th round picks on small school players who struggled to make impact plays in college. My philosophy is if you can't make plays or crack an all-conference team against DII competition then you probably aren't going to be much of a player in the NFL.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Same conference as Marshall. I've seen him on TV and live. He's a beast. ED REED. Hope I don't jinx him.
:lol

I'm glad you're excited about the player. There seemed to be a real groundswell of support for drafting him among some people on this board and especially the guys covering the draft on the Cowboys website. I really like everything I have read and seen about his knack for being around the ball and creating turnovers. I'm sure Ed Reed is hyperbole but he doesn't have to be anywhere near that good to justify the 2018 5th rounder they gave up to get him. If he turns out to have a comparable Cowboys career to Barry Church it will be a win at that cost. Obviously they are not exactly the same type of player and yes everyone will aim higher than Barry Church, but Church was a decent player for quite a few years.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I really like the pick but he is going to have to learn how to wrap up instead of going for the stand up kill shot. It's the only glaring weakness I see.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
:lol

I'm glad you're excited about the player. There seemed to be a real groundswell of support for drafting him among some people on this board and especially the guys covering the draft on the Cowboys website. I really like everything I have read and seen about his knack for being around the ball and creating turnovers. I'm sure Ed Reed is hyperbole but he doesn't have to be anywhere near that good to justify the 2018 5th rounder they gave up to get him. If he turns out to have a comparable Cowboys career to Barry Church it will be a win at that cost. Obviously they are not exactly the same type of player and yes everyone will aim higher than Barry Church, but Church was a decent player for quite a few years.
I get the impression that he could be this year's version of Orlando Scandrick for us. That late round DB who's not necessarily a Pro Bowl caliber player but is a quality player for several years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get the impression that he could be this year's version of Orlando Scandrick for us. That late round DB who's not necessarily a Pro Bowl caliber player but is a quality player for several years.
At worst I think he could be this years Anthony Brown. But frankly I have higher hopes for Woods than that. I think Xavier Woods has the potential to be a legit starting FS or SS in the NFL and would pair excellently with Jones. This isn't a small school Height/Weight guy with no production and this isn't a small school guy with great production but no athletic ability. He is both a very good athlete and a productive player. And frankly LA Tech isn't the same thing as say West Texas AM University (Home to Kareem Larrimore). LA Tech annually produces NFL players. Hell Woods was the second player from his school selected in this draft. Last year a Louisiana Tech player went in the first round of the draft.

Sure Woods isn't perfect. He is a little smaller than one would prefer and he needs to do a better job of wrapping up when he tackles. But like 90% of everything he does I love. And certainly wrapping up is something that can be worked on and improved upon. You can't teach instincts and this kid has those.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
At worst I think he could be this years Anthony Brown. But frankly I have higher hopes for Woods than that. I think Xavier Woods has the potential to be a legit starting FS or SS in the NFL and would pair excellently with Jones. This isn't a small school Height/Weight guy with no production and this isn't a small school guy with great production but no athletic ability. He is both a very good athlete and a productive player. And frankly LA Tech isn't the same thing as say West Texas AM University (Home to Kareem Larrimore). LA Tech annually produces NFL players. Hell Woods was the second player from his school selected in this draft. Last year a Louisiana Tech player went in the first round of the draft.

Sure Woods isn't perfect. He is a little smaller than one would prefer and he needs to do a better job of wrapping up when he tackles. But like 90% of everything he does I love. And certainly wrapping up is something that can be worked on and improved upon. You can't teach instincts and this kid has those.
:towel

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Wait for it.

:towel:towel

Top Bottom