5th Round Pick: Asim Richards, OG/OT, North Carolina

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This might end up being our best value pick. I could see him being a starter eventually.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This might end up being our best value pick. I could see him being a starter eventually.
I hope you're right, because we are one Tyron injury away from being in deep shit.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I hope you're right, because we are one Tyron injury away from being in deep shit.
Fear not. Waletzko will be beginning his domination of the league soon.

Soon.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Farniok started 2 games last year, both wins, he's probably the first guy up in case of injury. Let's hope he's ready to make about 6-8 starts this year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah I don't agree that the online was a particular worry, including prior to the draft. We'll be fine, even if/when Tyron goes down.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He won’t be ready this year.
I want to see him at guard. I think he has the arm length and all that to possibly play OT but I think his power, size and athletic ability would actually be a great fit inside at guard. Looks like a guy you could put 10 pounds on and have a 315 pound 6'4" guard to me. Maybe that takes a year but we sure got Tyler Smith ready in a hurry last year. This kid needs to train the same way.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I don't agree that the online was a particular worry, including prior to the draft. We'll be fine, even if/when Tyron goes down.
I worry about RB more. I hope this Sproles clone is ready. I think he is more talented than say Cohen is for example. But Pollard can't shoulder the workload so it's going to be some Ronald Jones, some Vaughn and maybe even some Luepke. Luepke may just be the short yardage back and the other guys for everything else.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This might spell the end for Msr. Ball. Im not too shook about that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The McGinn writeup, I don't want to call him a steal exactly but it was a very good pick at that point:

10. ASIM RICHARDS, North Carolina (6-4, 307, 5.18, 4): Three-year starter at LT. “I projected him to guard,” said one scout. “He’s just a tough guy. Nasty, strong, tough and a good athlete. Fourth round, maybe.” His 34-inch arms were the longest among the top 15 guards. His 13 reps on the bench were the fewest. “He’s got to improve his upper-body power,” said one scout. “He came in as a basketball player. Had never been to a weight room until he got to North Carolina. They begged him to come back (for 2023) but he didn’t. Everything is in front of him, but he has to get it done in the weight room.” From Philadelphia. “Probably should have gone back to school,” said a third scout. “He definitely looks and moves like he can play guard. They tried to sell him to come back to school so he’d play center. I’d take him in the fourth all day. I think he can play all five positions. He’s going to end up starting.”

shane

DCC 4Life
The McGinn writeup, I don't want to call him a steal exactly but it was a very good pick at that point:

10. ASIM RICHARDS, North Carolina (6-4, 307, 5.18, 4): Three-year starter at LT. “I projected him to guard,” said one scout. “He’s just a tough guy. Nasty, strong, tough and a good athlete. Fourth round, maybe.” His 34-inch arms were the longest among the top 15 guards. His 13 reps on the bench were the fewest. “He’s got to improve his upper-body power,” said one scout. “He came in as a basketball player. Had never been to a weight room until he got to North Carolina. They begged him to come back (for 2023) but he didn’t. Everything is in front of him, but he has to get it done in the weight room.” From Philadelphia. “Probably should have gone back to school,” said a third scout. “He definitely looks and moves like he can play guard. They tried to sell him to come back to school so he’d play center. I’d take him in the fourth all day. I think he can play all five positions. He’s going to end up starting.”
seems like just the type of guy you want to take in the 5th. High upside athletic prospect

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The center stuff is interesting, if I had to guess I bet the staff will try to flex him to center before LT/RT, with OG being his primary position of course.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
seems like just the type of guy you want to take in the 5th. High upside athletic prospect
You'll always take the athletic guy who just needs weight and strength, because you can build that. But you can't make a slow guy fast.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
13 reps on the bench…get this kid in the weight room and on a regimen of “vitamins”

• Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I want to see him at guard. I think he has the arm length and all that to possibly play OT but I think his power, size and athletic ability would actually be a great fit inside at guard. Looks like a guy you could put 10 pounds on and have a 315 pound 6'4" guard to me. Maybe that takes a year but we sure got Tyler Smith ready in a hurry last year. This kid needs to train the same way.
Pundits seem to agree Dallas will project him to guard and not swing OT

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pundits seem to agree Dallas will project him to guard and not swing OT
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they test him at center too. I know Richards mentioned OT, guard and center as things he can do. I also think they ran him there a little during the Senior Bowl.

Top Bottom